help strengthening balsa NC already coated with F&F

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

les

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
As the title states. I was building a Cosmodrome Nike Smoke. It comes with a huge balsa nosecone. I initially coated it with Elmer's fill and finish.
I have already glued on the covers and exhaust pipe.

My problem is it seems every time I even look at it I find a dent in the balsa. I have patched it 3X so far.

Since it is covered with the F&F I don't think I can soak it with CA.

Any suggestions for making this stronger?

I found lots of posts for papering fins and several on using CA for NC, but again I question using CA with the F&F on it....

NOTE - I do have some Aeropoxy PR2032 with PH3660 hardner available that I purchased for my first fiberglassing attempt, that I have yet to do
I also have some Rocketpoxy available

Thanks

I've used CA over my FnF ding repairs and it works like a charm. Same with using it on Bondo. Usually have to sand it a little to smooth things out a bit, but it doesn't require a lot. I see no reason why you can't brush thin CA all over said FnF'd nose cone.

I've used CA over my FnF ding repairs and it works like a charm. Same with using it on Bondo. Usually have to sand it a little to smooth things out a bit, but it doesn't require a lot. I see no reason why you can't brush thin CA all over said FnF'd nose cone.

That's what I'd do.

CA can be used over everything I have tried to use it on to date, and when I find something that does not take the CA I'll be sure to report on it.

That said, make sure you do it outside and even then with your organic vapor cartridge equipped respirator, goggles and a face shield. don't forget to double up your nitrile gloves, and make sure no pets or children are in the area.
I used slightly over a gallon of CA of various types and brands over this summer, to do all sorts of things that should never have been attempted, but learned some very cool stuff along the way. Some of the reactions create vapors that if they waft toward you, will cause a burn on your skin, so just be careful in general, and don't get burned by not going all out with safety gear when trying CA on new things.
Test it on a small area first, or on some scrap balsa, but it will work just fine, as I have used it to harden Elmer's F&F and a quicker setting solvent based F&F, along with Bondo Spot and Glazing Putty, Baking Soda, various types of fiberglass, Carbon fiber, polyester, cotton, Nylon, all types of papers, antler and bone sandings, lots of wood shavings and sanding debris, etc;....

I'm going to try it on washing soda next, which is chemically different than baking soda. I don't have time or reason to do this anytime soon, but it is just next on my list of things to try using CA on.

I have had a Cosmodrome Nike Smoke kit in the build pile for years. When I finally motivate myself to build it, I plan to coat the balsa cone with thin epoxy to protect it.

Made a small "dish" from aluminum foil, poured some thin CA into the dish and used a foam brush
Let it dry then lightly sanded.
I'm real happy with the results. Didn't think the CA would work with the F&F already on it

IMG_1873.jpg

Back