Gizmo low altitude question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlnel

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I have an old wild man gizmo, I think 5", fiberglass not the new stuff. I'm thinking of an L2 try and was wondering how low I could keep it, smallest J I guess. Thanks.

A K2045 is 5000 on a good day

Other motors I don't know about :>

I'm planning on flying one in a few weeks on an Aerotech J315R. Current simulation says 4100 feet but I haven't finalized the details on that yet.

Those sound reasonable for altitudes. I'm just rethinking the fiberglass work needed to be done, at the moment the garage is not able to be used and this will be a kitchen table build. Since I'm getting married on friday, I don't want to start off on a bad foot!! Lol
I have a binder design lightning bolt that I think I could get away with building inside. Anyone ever build/launch one?

I've flown mine repeatedly on 38 mm J's and it goes 2800-3000 feet every time.

Now this would be my first fiberglass kit, how bad is the glassing part? Could I do in a very small deck and bring in at night or should I just wait till I have room? Does it give off a lot of odor, I could try in kitchen if not to overwhelming smell. I'm not sure if there are different types of fiberglass brands that may be less offensive. .

I think there is some confusion here- the kit is already made of fiberglass- there is no "glassing" to be done. What you are referring to is probably the epoxy used to bind the pieces together. The odor depends on the brand of epoxy. The brand that I primarily use (proline) has very little odor- you could use it just about anywhere.

There is no real "glassing" needed on the Gizmo. I built mine with 15 minute hobby epoxy and fly it on 54mm I's and small 38mm J's. No real odor, however the deck would not be bad.

BobSmith 15min smells like a good fart - but otherwise pick your epoxy right and you will be fine

Lol, it should fit in just fine at home!

I thought I had to fiberglass the fins to the tube etc..

I'll look and try to find some build's and do some research. .

Thanks for the input and clarification! !

rocketpoxy, no VOC's so even my wife doesn't complain about it (but she does everything else)

rocketpoxy, no VOC's so even my wife doesn't complain about it (but she does everything else)

unless you get the "stinky rocketpoxy" syndrome- then it's not so nice. Oddly enough, my wife prefers rocketpoxy over other epoxies, even when it's stinky.

unless you get the "stinky rocketpoxy" syndrome- then it's not so nice. Oddly enough, my wife prefers rocketpoxy over other epoxies, even when it's stinky.

Only the part "B" gets stinky (think ammonia ish). If you leave the lid off for a few minutes before you dip in, the ammonia smell dissipates. And once mixed, it smells fine. This was my first set from when it first came out. I'm down to about 1/4" left. Still holds great.

Adrian

I'll look and try to find some build's and do some research. .

Thanks for the input and clarification! !

Here ya go!

One of my oldest most cherished build threads, covering the build of the VERY first one! And the many drag races around the country [5 of them] Orangeburg, NERFF, Southern Thunder, Midwest power...don't remember the last one, Red Glare maybe.
It was first sold as a Combo "kit-motor-reload" drag race special by Wildman, over 100 guys got in on that action.
It also introduced for the first time the single grain 54mm soda can motor ''54mm 426"

how to build....how to enjoy launching!

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...Mania-build-for-NSL-ST-NERRF-and-MidwestPower

Anybody got some "antique" photos of yours at one of the launches?:smile:

Back