3D Rocket design software

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lunarxray1968

Reaction score
Other then the software that Estes offered, which you need to be a rocket scientist to actually use and figure out. I'm looking for an easy app that I can draw and maybe visualize in different views.

there are two programs in general use, Rock sim(commercial, although you can download a free 30 day trial) and open rocket(an open source freeware program, it requires 'Java' to run).
Rex

Windows only. :( I guess I'll give it a crack on my work machine.

If they let you put foreign software on it!! :wink: I bought it at version 4 but had already acclimated to RS. Open Rocket was really crude in its early days so I ditched that. Was an absolute pain just to load a motor. That I heard has all
changed. I haven't been flying really aggressive flights so RS has worked ok for me. If you can learn OR it would be an economical start. Some are griping RS is not updated much anymore and is not worth the cost. SC5 is more economical
and of course you can do the free trials of both. (With OR and RASAeroII being gratis) Kurt

If they let you put foreign software on it!! :wink:

They do. However, I'd be disinclined to commit to something I couldn't do on my home machine.

I bought it at version 4 but had already acclimated to RS. Open Rocket was really crude in its early days so I ditched that. Was an absolute pain just to load a motor. That I heard has all
changed. I haven't been flying really aggressive flights so RS has worked ok for me. If you can learn OR it would be an economical start.

I have done, ah, "a lot" with OR. My primary complaint (other than various quibbles with the UI) is the rocket features it doesn't support. RS does, by I wasn't crazy about its visualization capabilities or the price. I was intrigued by the existence of this third program which I never hear anyone talk about.

Right now I sit and wait for the next update to OR, which I hope will come "eventually".

Need some help. A bit of background - my 8 year old Windows Vista machine died in September so around mid-October my parents got me a new Windows 10 machine; with the way my health limits my income it wouldn't have happened without them. Just now finally got around to downloading Open Rocket & can't figure out how to open and run it in Windows 10.

It keeps giving me this, and I'm thinking, shouldn't it open itself?
33731451000_7d9beb0c67_b.jpg

alright, going a little deeper in to the search results I just found this, Thread: Open Rocket issue with new Win10 and new Java V8 101

Modeltrains,
I had the same problem with a new Windows 10 machine. A co-worker said I needed Java to run. So I downloaded the free Java and it works like it did before.

I had the same problem, but had java already.
I updated java, and still had the same problem.
It always wants to associate OR with acrobat, for some odd reason.
After hours of frustration, I gave up.
I have and use RS, but K'tesh has a great selection of pre-built oop kits in OR, and wanted to read a few.
RS won't read OR files, at least I can't figure out how to do it if it can.
I wish you much luck getting it to work for you.

I had the same problem, but had java already.
I updated java, and still had the same problem.
It always wants to associate OR with acrobat, for some odd reason.
After hours of frustration, I gave up.
I have and use RS, but K'tesh has a great selection of pre-built oop kits in OR, and wanted to read a few.
RS won't read OR files, at least I can't figure out how to do it if it can.
I wish you much luck getting it to work for you.

Try the self-contained installer I created:
1) Follow this link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dfpo0pzztg...aller.exe?dl=0
One of two things will happen:
a) You'll get an annoying dialog, asking you to log in or register for Dropbox. Click on "no thanks, continue to view" at the very bottom.
b) If you're already logged in, you won't see that dialog.

2) Now you should see a screen that says ".exe files can't be previewed", then underneath that is the file name (Openrocket-15.03-installer.exe) and below *that* a button that says "Download". Click "Download". It just might pop up that annoying "sign in" dialog again; if so, click the "no thanks" link at the bottom once again.

3) When it's finished downloading, click on it in the download progress bar, or else go to your downloads folder in Windows Explorer and double-click it.

4) Windows will probably put up a warning to the effect of "this program is downloaded from the internet, are you sure you want to run it?". Say yes, or OK, or whatever. That should kick off the installer.

5) Do whatever the installer asks you to do (I believe you just need to click "OK" once or twice and that's it). When finished, OR should run, without complaints.

6) While it's running, go to the taskbar and right click the OR icon, and select "pin to taskbar".

This version has a 100% success rate so far. Good luck.

a) You'll get an annoying dialog, asking you to log in or register for Dropbox. Click on "no thanks, continue to view" at the very bottom.

2) Now you should see a screen that says ".exe files can't be previewed", then underneath that is the file name (Openrocket-15.03-installer.exe) and below *that* a button that says "Download". Click "Download". It just might pop up that annoying "sign in" dialog again; if so, click the "no thanks" link at the bottom once again.

3) When it's finished downloading, click on it in the download progress bar, or else go to your downloads folder in Windows Explorer and double-click it.

4) Windows will probably put up a warning to the effect of "this program is downloaded from the internet, are you sure you want to run it?". Say yes, or OK, or whatever. That should kick off the installer.

5) Do whatever the installer asks you to do (I believe you just need to click "OK" once or twice and that's it). When finished, OR should run, without complaints.

6) While it's running, go to the taskbar and right click the OR icon, and select "pin to taskbar".

This .exe solved all of the display issues I was having as well. I wonder why?

Thanks! I think i'll try that now. I honestly don't want java on my computer (i've heard it causes alot of trouble) and i cant access OR quickly because it cant pin to the taskbar. This should solve those problems.

I haven't had any issues with Java... I personally would get it anyway, even without OpenRocket. It's needed for lots of various programs, and practically anything 3D.

Back