Bic Pen Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davdue

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Built a Bic ARCAS rocket this week. This is my first MicroMaxx powered rocket. I got the plans from here: https://www.jeffhove.com/rockets/bicarcas.html

I don't have a launch pad for these rockets. I am thinking of just using one the Estes pads that come with the ready to assembly or read to fly rockets from Walmart. I have at least 2 of those from when my kids were little. Just will have to make a much smaller launch rod. How long are the rods on the Quest MicroMaxx launch pads? Do I have to have the rocket set on the igniter with the standoff tube that comes with the igniter or can I just tape the igniter in?

Bic ARCAS Rocket.jpg

Here's the simple standoff -
https://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com/2010/12/micromaxx-launch-rod-standoff-tip.html

Art Applewhite Rockets has a variation on your Bic pen:
https://www.artapplewhite.com/aksjdf/bic.pdf

Here's another sky writing rocket:
https://rocketry.wordpress.com/ultimate-paper-rocket-guide/paper-rocket-partial-builds/#chris

skywriter.jpg

Most use a toothpick (the skinny four-sided toothpicks fit best) to hold the igniter in a MMX engine.
The square toothpicks are like a square peg in a round hole. They "vent" before being blown out of the nozzle at ignition.
Don't force the toothpick in too tight, just enough to hold the igniter in place.

The MMX igniters are bare nichrome. If you are using the Estes style 6 volt controller
it will take a second or two for the engine to ignite.
Just hold the button down and don't take your eyes off the rocket.
The Bic pen rockets are fast off the launcher and get a good altitude.

Last edited:
The MMX igniters are bare nichrome. If you are using the Estes style 6 volt controller
it will take a second or two for the engine to ignite.
Just hold the button down and don't take your eyes off the rocket.
The Bic pen rockets are fast off the launcher and get a good altitude.

I assume that the igniters will work fine with a 12 volt launch system as well?

Aw... Come on... You know the pun is mightier as the word. :wink:

Funny...

Nice build. One ignition trick you can try if needed is to use an e-match, and just rest the end of the motor on the e-match. They are really way more power than needed but usually get MMX motors going fast.

Since almost the beginning back in 1999 I've used the OLD Wadding ball & 1/4" masking tape to hold my bare or pyrogen tipped igniters in the Micro Maxx motors. Below is a pictorial of the process. Using this process It is possible to pre-prep as many motors as I like (usually 20 to 30) and they can be stored in my range motor box for months.

The standard MMX Launch rod is .049" diamater x 9" long Music wire. I use 9", 12" and 18" x .049" Stainless steel music wire. (18" for glider and very heavy models.

Art Applewhite invented the Bic Pen Micro Model in 2001, I altered the original design to include a streamer recovery and have been flying these very neat little micro models and other "Sky Writing" models since 2002.

11_8pic Wadding Ball install Pg_03-26-06.jpg

MicroMaxx Motor & All igniter type carry box_11-16-06.jpg

Quick n Dirty-p04_3pic Micro Slip-onLaunch base_08-08-03.jpg

MM 258a1-sm_Bic-pen OddRoc_06-15-02.jpg

MM 258a2-sm_to g1_7 Micro Bic Pens group pic_03-14-06.jpg

MM 258b_Bic Stic Pen Revised Dwg & inst_06-15-02.jpg

Last edited:
Since no body else has posted a pun in a while, I guess this should be a...

Write off.

You know, I was getting a bit apprepensive that someone would steal my next pun... Fortunately for me, nobody else seems to have the Write Stuff though.

A couple good looking Bic Sticks:)

You should give the folded cardstock fin can a try. It is very easy to print, fold and glue in place. I have one of the original 2002 Bic Pens that has logged over 30 flights.
not nearly as clean as when new but still flys like a shot.
Fin Can cutout is in the lower right side of the drawing posted in reply #9.

I understand that. It definitely wasn't easy to do. In fact that is why I bought the balsa wood and used that for the fins.

That is one of the best reasons to try the 67lb cardstock folded fincan. the 4 fins automatically align with the Bic Stick body. I usually smear a bit of tacky glue on the inside of each fin pair, and use medium CA to afix the fincan to the Bic Stick body about 3/16" up for the end of the body to allow internal & external 1/4" masking tape friction fitting of the MMX motor. They really are a hoot to try to catch launch photos of the little bugger are so darn quick of the pad.

MM 258Lp15a_Bic Pen Odd-Roc On pad_04-19-08.jpg

MM 258Lp15b_Bic Pen Recovery after 175ft flt_04-19-08.jpg

MM 258Lp23a_Bic Pen On pad for 21st MMX-II flt_65th B-day Launch_11-16-13.jpg

MM 258Lp23b_Bic Pin MMX-II Lift-Off (finally Caught it)- 65th B-Day Launch_11-16-13.jpg

Last edited:
Does that type of origami fincan have a name?

I've seen it in Art's plans, does it originate with him or go back a long way?

Does that type of origami fincan have a name?

I've seen it in Art's plans, does it originate with him or go back a long way?

To the best of my knowledge it originated as Art's original fin plan as he had trouble with adding individual fin to the Bic Stick.

I've modified this Origami style fin can to fit a number of different cardstock Stomp and blow rocket models.

Back