New Estes Scale Kit?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Sea Dart would be an excellent choice for a 3D printed nose cone. However I doubt that the British navy would be into giving out scale drawings.

The Sea Dart would be an excellent choice for a 3D printed nose cone. However I doubt that the British navy would be into giving out scale drawings.
The rear fins seem awfully fragile if balsa. Paper transitions or balsa and dowels will work for the nose cone too. Should be a fun kit.

3D printed parts need more filling than balsa.

The rear fins seem awfully fragile if balsa. Paper transitions or balsa and dowels will work for the nose cone too. Should be a fun kit.

3D printed parts need more filling than balsa.

Basswood or CA'd/papered balsa fins would be just fine if the right thickness. For the nose cone, using transitions and dowels would require much more work than smoothing out the 3D printed ridges. I've made nose cones out of paper, foam, balsa, coffee stir sticks, and even CA soaked CWF. Making custom nose cones is going to be work regardless.

I'm going to put this on my list of things to try. I'm liking the Sea Dart more and more. Thanks Flyrockets for the suggestion.

Basswood or CA'd/papered balsa fins would be just fine if the right thickness. For the nose cone, using transitions and dowels would require much more work than smoothing out the 3D printed ridges. I've made nose cones out of paper, foam, balsa, coffee stir sticks, and even CA soaked CWF. Making custom nose cones is going to be work regardless.

I'm going to put this on my list of things to try. I'm liking the Sea Dart more and more. Thanks Flyrockets for the suggestion.

Agree about the fins, it's just that in picture given they look really thin.

Balsa and dowel would be the easiest in my opinion. And 3D printed stuff isn't very strong in the vertical axis. It shouldn't matter that much, but the tips of the protrusions would be susceptible to snapping off.

If we didn't like 'work' Estes would only sell RTF; It's not work so much as an enjoyable experience.

I like the rocket too.

Last edited:
Oh, and though not scale, bring back the Saros! (It LOOKED scale...)

This thread has been going on awhile ... I'm with Mugs. :) (Regarding the Saros, I may be accused of sounding like a broken record. I think I've lobbied for a return of the Saros, or "Saros-E", several times)
I think what made this kit special is that it was the first Estes kit I built that used injection-molded parts (and maybe it was the first?).

Here is a picture of my Saros that was built in 1976. I am making an upscale, and this picture shows the nose cone, which will fit a BT-55. I probably should have used a BT-50, then I could have used BT-60 for the main tube. The main tube will be an ST-18 (1.84") from Semroc. I'll now be turning the transition, as well as the nozzle.

In general, I'd love to see a kit with several components done with injection-molded plastic -- fin unit perhaps, oreven just airefoiled fins would be nice. I just got the plastic fin set to upgrade my older #2157 Saturn V kits. Very nice.

IMG_1036.jpg

I've actually taken measurements of that rocket in front our admin building. From what I've been told that rocket was built out of parts from several rockets so it isn't real in the sense it was supposed to fly. Maybe I can convince the powers to be that it would make a great Estes 60th Anniversary kit release which is coming up in less then two years.

John Boren

I haven't seen that rocket. I thought you guys were talking about this one. I took this picture on an Estes tour in 1966. :)

estes-friends2.JPG

Back