New Estes Scale Kit?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JumpJet

Reaction score
In the near future I need to start on a new scale model for Estes. Right now I’m thinking of a Military style rocket but it could turn out to be a new Space style rocket. Most likely it will have a single 24mm motor mount for our E12 motor.

I was just wondering what you would prefer for those that purchase kits instead of scratch building.

Molded plastic scale shaped fins or thin sheet balsa fins where you either leave it flat or layer sheets together for a thicker fin which then pretty much forces you to shape the fins like our 7240 Honest John kit has you do.

Paper transitions or blow molded or injection molded plastic transition.

Wood conduits along the sides of the body that need to be shaped by you or molded plastic conduits.

If it’s a multi stage model in real life, with fins on both stages would you prefer the model to actually stage, be a one piece model or maybe be flexible enough in its design to allow the modeler to make it a multi stage model with some extra design work that they need to come up with.

Do you have any suggestions on a scale model you would like to see?

John Boren

In the near future I need to start on a new scale model for Estes. Right now I’m thinking of a Military style rocket but it could turn out to be a new Space style rocket. Most likely it will have a single 24mm motor mount for our E12 motor.

I was just wondering what you would prefer for those that purchase kits instead of scratch building.

Molded plastic scale shaped fins or thin sheet balsa fins where you either leave it flat or layer sheets together for a thicker fin which then pretty much forces you to shape the fins like our 7240 Honest John kit has you do.

Plastic if the fins are beveled...

Blow molded or injection molded plastic.

Wood conduits along the sides of the body that need to be shaped by you or molded plastic conduits.

Wood conduits

If it’s a multi stage model in real life, with fins on both stages would you prefer the model to actually stage, be a one piece model or maybe be flexible enough in its design to allow the modeler to make it a multi stage model with some extra design work that they need to come up with.

Depends on the rocket and the distance between motors... I'm comfortable with gap staging, but if it's too much of a gap, then let the advanced builders figure it out themselves. One idea would be to do it much like the Terrier Sandhawk was done.

I'd love to see the Standard Missile... RIM-67B version

RIM-67-Standard-Missile-002.jpg

Last edited:
... be flexible enough in its design to allow the modeler to make it a multi stage model with some extra design work that they need to come up with...

I'll vote 'yes' to this part.

Having just built another E2X, I can appreciate the ease and worry-free-ness of plastic parts. However I also enjoy shaping wood parts as in the Sky Warrior I finished just before that.
As far as wood parts vs. plastic, my personal preferences are:
If fins are airfoiled or beveled, plastic. Otherwise wood.
I prefer plastic transitions.
I could go either way on conduits, depending on the detail level.

I guess plastic vs. wood also depends on what the target skill level would be.

A Falcon 9 would be cool, but they are already making their own. I wonder if they'd be willing to partner with Estes going forward??

What about NASA's SLS?

+1 to K'Tesh's answers. Exactly the same as mine. :)

How about a 3-stage? Javelin (Argo D-4) could make use of the existing HoJo and/or Nike parts?

Plastic if the fins are beveled...

Blow molded or injection molded plastic.

Wood conduits

Depends on the rocket and the distance between motors... I'm comfortable with gap staging, but if it's too much of a gap, then let the advanced builders figure it out themselves. One idea would be to do it much like the Terrier Sandhawk was done.

I'd love to see the Standard Missile... RIM-67B version

A RIM 67 would be cool, but I'd really like to see a larger updated version of the classic Estes LTV Scout kit.

John

1. Perhaps take a page from the Fliskits Saturn 1B?

That is, provide instructions and materials so that the builder can decide whether to make a simple or more complex build

2. Consider that the kind of people who want to build a scale subject are very likely to be familiar with what your competition offers as well. Therefore, look for a scale subject that is not available elsewhere, e.g., BrahMos, Astrobee 1500, Aero-High, HAD, etc.

:2:

Digging through old kit lists for something that would be neat with a 24mm mount:

Military-
Nike-Ajax
MX Missile
Jayhawk or Sandpiper
Scud

Space-
Little Joe 1
Gemini-Titan

kj

As I prep to do a Mercury Atlas to get more use out of my Mercury nosecone, I've been looking for parts.

I'd prefer to see plastic conduit/piping - at least if it's got twists and turns.
Vacuformed wraps.
Molded transitions.
Stage-able, even if it's built single stage in the instructions.

+1 regarding offering something that isn't commonly modeled. Everybody loves Honest Johns and Nike Smokes, but there's only so many kits that the market will bare. I'd love to see a Black Brant III (not the very common II). I know Estes offered a smallish BT-50 based model three decades ago (one which you still have all the parts for in production), but I'd like to see a larger version with the 24mm mount as you suggest. I scratch built my own using BT60 earlier in the year, and its a great flyer and is a nice size. Or, if that's too simple, how about a scale model of the Boeing Delta III? :wink:

Molded plastic scale shaped fins
Paper transitions
Wood conduits
actually stage

Maybe but I won't hold my breath I would like to see either a Vostok or Soyuz. In a 1/70 to 1/48 scale. ESTES could put all the parts in one kit to build one of the two rockets offered. A two in one kit.
This is a scale rocket that there's a lot of reference material available and still used today to ferry astronauts to the space station.
All well one can have hope.

If you design it, I will build it!! paper, Plastic, Wood, don't really care, built them all!

How about a:
SA2 Guideline?
K58 Kilter?
Harpoon?
Harm?
Rapier?
A larger version of the ever popular Patriot?! (with one BT, not three!)
Bring back the Bomark?
Bring back the JayHawk?

How about an 'X' plane / lifting body design, wher the motor / motormoun ejects under it's own recovery, and the main boy, a lifting design, glides / floats back?

By the way when it comes to missiles and sounding rockets, there are MANY of them Estes can NOT do since we can't get permission to do them from the manufacturer that is still in business. This includes subjects North of our border as well as many that Estes used to do but can No longer do. Now I know there are companies making kits of many of these models but if Estes can't get permission, we won't risk the chance of coming out with a kit of one.

John Boren

That's interesting - certainly a consideration none of us would have thought about. How about a WAC Bumper? That would be cool to stage, though probably not real practical. A reissue of the Titan IIIe would also be nice (I have a half-finished one from 25 years ago), not to mention the Saturn 1B.

If you wanted to do something that's unique and offer some challenge that isn't really ever modeled, I'd suggest the Genie missile. Short & squat, with a reverse transition, boat tail and fold up fins. It would make for a neat model...

4417522352_970ddc4239_b.jpg

By the way when it comes to missiles and sounding rockets, there are MANY of them Estes can NOT do since we can't get permission to do them from the manufacturer that is still in business. This includes subjects North of our border as well as many that Estes used to do but can No longer do. Now I know there are companies making kits of many of these models but if Estes can't get permission, we won't risk the chance of coming out with a kit of one.

John Boren

I always forget about this.

What about Plywood fins, or using some more exotic materials like G-10, for durability. Either material can be shaped for airfoils, though the G-10 might be somewhat more difficult. But even then, I would think most "scale" modelers would have already acquired most of the skills/tools to perform the task.

I'll also echo the sentiment for one of the Russian designs, and/or the Genie missile. The only one I'm familiar with ever being modeled was done by Tom Hoelle several decades ago. He was one of my rocketry mentors when I was a teenager.

John Boren

How about Bringing back the Aim 9 Sidewinder kit, but larger..... I loved that model.

Minuteman missile with clear plastic fins and plastic transition, wood or plastic conduit.
Or a nice size falcon missile or standard missile
Frank

Last edited:
Ah yes, those pesky 'copyright' laws.. And I guess 'international boundaries do apply for Estes in that sense.. So, I guess old & retired is the way to go. But, if I do recall, even some plastic model kits were being hampered by the main manufacturers, looking for royalties on their P-51, P-47, B17, 'Sherman' models even though: 1) they've been producing them for years, and 2) they're long OOP..

You've done the Bomark, the Black Brant, the patriot, and a few other 'modern' missiles. can't the 'permission slip' be dusted off & re-applied? Or, as I guess, means a whole new round of applications, fees, licensing (and more mitts out for a piece of said pie)..

My only thought here is to do a line from the old Soviet block.. or from a certain Swedish car / plane manufacturer..

haha, create your own line of missiles from some fictitious place, some fictitious conflict, in the near future / recent past..

The Chinese Long March rockets could be fair game as their designs are probably originally ours anyway... teehee

So is that why we no longer have the SR-71? Lockheed Martin now wants a cut if you make a model rocket kit of one?

John Boren

Wow, so no BBII rerelease in the near future it looks like?!?

So to answer the questions,
Plastic fins if beveled. My PSII Nike Smoke fins look great!
Plastic transitions
Wood conduits
Optional to make a working two-stager

As for subjects, I'd have to do some looking around but off the top of my head, a 1.75" Jupiter C would look great next to my Mercury Redstone. A Delta II with clear fins would also rock.

And since you guys have the capsule molds out again, 1/100 LJ2, S-1B, and LJ1 please!

Last edited:
I don't know if it falls under the copyright shadow or not, but The first thing that came to my mind was the LTV Scout. I know it required some very unique tube sizes, but it really was spectacular. Original size would be great, but maybe with a 24mm mount. Of course, a PSII version would be impossible to resist!

The Scout hasn't been over-modeled either...

A couple of others came to mind as well.

A VERY scale version of the Viking 10 would be nice. For a FFNC rocket there is an awful lot of detail that could be added to a larger low power version. Also not often modeled.

The Sparrow HV Arcas stack would be nice and would have pretty broad appeal, I would think. A staged version would be great, but it would require gap-staging so maybe it would be best left to the modeler to decide.

I like building, so paper or plastic would be fine with me. Though I would really like to see nice molded fins with accurate airfoils and rivet details!

Oh, and though not scale, bring back the Saros! (It LOOKED scale...)

Viking.jpg

Sparrow Arcas.jpg

First, thank you for asking the TRF community for our thoughts. Thanks also for all the new releases. The 2016 releases have been outstanding! I can't wait to see what is in store for 2017.

Regarding plastic fins. In general, I've seen two different types of plastic fins produced by Estes. The first type is what I call a solid fin such as the fin supplied in the 1/5 scale D-Region Tomahawk (EST 2037). The second type is what I call the glue together type such as in the PSII E2X kits (Ascender, Trajector, etc) and PSII Nike Smoke. I prefer the solid type plastic fins. I've had some rough landings with my D-region and the fins have held up very well. They seem more durable and appearance-wise they look sharper. I think there are some kits that would look better and possibly fly better with solid plastic fins. However, I wouldn't want to see a shift to all plastic.

Regarding wood fins. For kits with wood fins, is basswood a viable alternative to balsa?

Regarding plastic parts. One the things that keeps me from buying kits with plastic parts, like the Mercury Redstone for example, are the plastic parts. Sooner or later, a rocket is going to have a rough flight/landing and sustain damage. I get as much satisfaction out of repairing a damaged rocket and returning it to flight as I do building it in the first place. Unfortunately, in the past, you couldn't get replacement plastic parts unless you bought another kit. I did notice recently that you have a replacement capsule for the Mercury Redstone available on your website. However, the shipping to buy just that one part from Estes (and price of part) is about the same as buying a whole kit locally. It would be nice if replacement plastic parts were made available to distributors and dealers. (I am aware of the great Estes customer support/service but I'm not emailing Christine if I'm the cause of the damage).

Regarding replacement parts in general. If your new designs use unique body tube sizes, like the 1/5 scale D-Region Tomahawk, please also make replacement body tubes available to distributors and dealers. Please also make replacement nose cones more readily available too. Rough landings and other misfortunes happen and I think many would appreciate the ability to get parts to rebuild a beloved rocket.

Regarding transitions. As hard as I try, I have been unable to master the paper transition (but I continue to practice). I'm not sure how well received paper transitions would be with younger builders. I think having another kit or two that includes paper transitions would help revive this particular building skill. However, I would not want to see a complete shift to all paper transitions.

I think having another kit or two that includes paper transitions would help revive this particular building skill.

Estes currently has at least two new kits that use paper transitions. There are not my favorite part of a rocket to build either.

John Boren

To boldy go,

I have always been inspired by the historical USA manned space program scale model rocket kits. With the current lineup of the Mercury Redstone, Apollo 11 Saturn V (and Little Joe II) you are just missing the old Gemini-Titan, Saturn 1B, Space Shuttle to complete the collection, not that this is a requirement or anything. (not sure if anything international, i.e. Russian or Chinese, is a viable option for Estes for licensing or marketing reasons)

In addition, if you look at historical unmanned deep space probes and mars landers, Voyager and Viking, etc, you have some interesting launch rockets also to draw from, the Titan, Delta, Atlas variations.

Looking to the future, there's the SLS ... would be cool to have an Estes kit out on the shelves when they make the first test flight, EM-1 in 2018? (EFT-1 flew the Orion capsule on a Delta IV Heavy into space in 2014, where was the Estes kit for that one? EDIT - I realize you guys have been busy and some great new kits have come out in the past few years, many thanks for that.)

Last edited:
Back