RIP Arnold Palmer

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We need more athletes and celebrities to act like this wonderful man. RIP.

First golfer I ever followed. I remember Arnold, Chi Chi Rodriquez, and Rafe Botts were all playing in the Senior tour in the 80s. I loved watching them play. He proceeded both of them in death. Rest in peach great one.

A man that competed with fire in his belly and always with the highest integrity; never compromising his moral character on or off the course.

A true sportsman and gentleman, in every sense of the word. Not many like that around anymore. He'll be missed.

Back in the 90s, I had the Arnold Palmer version of Links Golf for PC. You could opt to play against Arnie on a huge variety of courses (that you had to buy, of course). But Palmer did the voiceovers for himself, and so, in a virtual way, I felt like I had really played golf with him.

Of course, in real life, I never would, because that would have been an insult to him, but in VR world....!

There is an urban myth applied to him

Reportedly he was playing golf with Tiger Woods, who was bemoaning the fact that he was forced to live out his life in the public arena. Supposedly Mr. Palmer told him he could always recover his privacy. all he had to do was give up the money, get a real job, and play golf with his buddies on the weekend...

It is sad that another true sportsman has passed on.

I spend many a Sunday afternoon watching my Dad, watching Arnie on TV.

In a way, losing Arnie is like losing a part of my Dad all over again.

Oh, and Arnold Palmer was born in Turtle Creek, PA just over the mountain from where my Mom lived.

He was a great American! He was a great competitor and a humble human being. Was an accomplished pilot with almost 20,000 hours of time as PIC.

My dad was an avid golfer and a huge fan of Ben Hogan. And when Arnold Palmer came into prominence during the 1950's and onward, he became a huge fan of Arnold as well. I miss them all.

Back