Rocket Stability Calculator

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First off, welcome! Glad to have you here.

Just some initial thoughts.

You might have a reference as to what reference you are using for the calculations (e.g., Barrowman).

Having the results up near the top seems a bit confusing, as I would be thinking that's where inputs go.

The CG data needs clarification. As measured from the nose cone tip or base of the airframe.

I would pick a color that contrasts better with the blue background than red. Yellow or light gray are good candidates.

Greg

Thank goodness I don't need to use anything but my mind and actual handling of the rocket to determine if a rocket will be stable or not.
I can't imagine having to go through life like that.

I checked out your website and watched your launch videos. It's really cool that you're sharing rocketry with the young ones. I haven't had my own website since 56k modems were the standard. The website you have is a good start. The only major critique that I would have for the website is to run a spell-check if you can. Having so many misspelled words gives people the wrong impression. The red text on blue background is gawdy. White on blue or blue on white are popular because they're comfortable on the eyes.

In the spirit of constructive criticism... Your rocket design, look for ways to decrease weight. At 11.7oz, that's quite heavy for a 1" dia rocket. Also, those fins are never going to handle high speed or powerful liftoffs. Seeing a metal nose cone on top of PVC makes me nervous.

May I ask what's your history/experience with launching rockets?

I checked out your website and watched your launch videos. It's really cool that you're sharing rocketry with the young ones. I haven't had my own website since 56k modems were the standard. The website you have is a good start. The only major critique that I would have for the website is to run a spell-check if you can. Having so many misspelled words gives people the wrong impression. The red text on blue background is gawdy. White on blue or blue on white are popular because they're comfortable on the eyes.

In the spirit of constructive criticism... Your rocket design, look for ways to decrease weight. At 11.7oz, that's quite heavy for a 1" dia rocket. Also, those fins are never going to handle high speed or powerful liftoffs. Seeing a metal nose cone on top of PVC makes me nervous.

May I ask what's your history/experience with launching rockets?

This is the first rocket I've built from scratch. I use to fly kits like 15 years ago. I'm not too worried about weight with this one, as it is just a "testing platform" for future rockets. Testing out staging and other things like that. Our next rocket will be more weight conservative with lighter plastics. The pic on the site is a little old. The cone is now plastic. Also, The fins are made of corrugated plastic and held on with zip ties. There allot stronger than they look. They actually survived a parachute-less landing from 591 feet (I though 2 strips fire retardant wadding was good so 6 would be better. woops) without even bending.

Your site looks much better now. Very nice.

Good luck with your flights, I'd like to see how it goes. By the way, the engine that blew, was it an E9 by chance? They're known for that.

Back