Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15
    [QUOTE=neil_w;

Anyone have a good technique for stuffing shock cord into a BT50? What a pain.[/QUOTE]

If you're trying to shorten it try "braiding" it. It involves just making a loop and pulling another loop through it and it can shorten the shock cord quite a bit. It's really simple; we used to do this with string as kids. Here's a video link http://bit.ly/2vSjsXE that demonstrates the technique. Fast forward to 2:12. Tim Van Milligan calls it "crocheting" but you can just use your fingers, it's really easy.

The crochet technique (kind of like a daisy-chain of slip knot loops that untie when you pull it) is also a good method for packing non-elastic kevlar cord, but not sure how well that would work for the flat elastic woven type of shock cord you are using.

Quote Originally Posted by Rktman View Post
    If you're trying to shorten it try "braiding" it. It involves just making a loop and pulling another loop through it and it can shorten the shock cord quite a bit. It's really simple; we used to do this with string as kids. Here's a video link http://bit.ly/2vSjsXE that demonstrates the technique. Fast forward to 2:12. Tim Van Milligan calls it "crocheting" but you can just use your fingers, it's really easy.
    I had heard of the technique but never watched the video. That is cool.

Quote Originally Posted by GlenP View Post
    The crochet technique (kind of like a daisy-chain of slip knot loops that untie when you pull it) is also a good method for packing non-elastic kevlar cord, but not sure how well that would work for the flat elastic woven type of shock cord you are using.
    I am tempted to experiment with it. I'll just take a piece of 1/8" elastic and see if it'll crochet like that and then come apart easily. If it seems to work, and if it doesn't take me all day to do it, I just might give it a try. It certainly would seem to (a) make it easier to get the cord into the BT, and (b) reduce the likelihood of the cord getting jammed up in there.

I'll have to experiment with both that *and* the over-under coiling. Good fun stuff to play with.
    Recently completed: upscale Quinstar and APRO Lander II; in progress: Starship Avalon; next up: Accur8-skinned Trajector and Ragnarok Orbital Interceptor
    My photo albums: fleet pics and OR Models

Quote Originally Posted by neil_w View Post
    I had heard of the technique but never watched the video. That is cool.

I am tempted to experiment with it. I'll just take a piece of 1/8" elastic and see if it'll crochet like that and then come apart easily. If it seems to work, and if it doesn't take me all day to do it, I just might give it a try. It certainly would seem to (a) make it easier to get the cord into the BT, and (b) reduce the likelihood of the cord getting jammed up in there.

I'll have to experiment with both that *and* the over-under coiling. Good fun stuff to play with.

I seem to have the same 1/8" flame-resistant flat elastic you use. Did this in about 30 seconds using just fingers. Doing it LOOSELY like in the pic ensures no binding (and it shortens the cord faster). I've done two flights using this method and so far no problems.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0095.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	287.4 KB 
ID:	325728

Quote Originally Posted by Rktman View Post
    I seem to have the same 1/8" flame-resistant flat elastic you use. Did this in about 30 seconds using just fingers. Doing it LOOSELY like in the pic ensures no binding (and it shortens the cord faster). I've done two flights using this method and so far no problems.

Name:	IMG_0095.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	287.4 KB 
ID:	325728
    OK, I am sold on giving that a try. It's amazing to look at that and think it's going to actually pull out.
    Recently completed: upscale Quinstar and APRO Lander II; in progress: Starship Avalon; next up: Accur8-skinned Trajector and Ragnarok Orbital Interceptor

Works sorta like this Neil.
    Thinking outside the box is normal for me. Went inside the box once and got claustrophobic.
    Can't never did!
    Inventions weren't created by skeptics.
    There's a bright side to every screwed up week.

Crocheting is awesome

Watched a few videos, figured out the basic techniques, and then practiced in my car at lunchtime today using a 12-ft piece of 1/8" elastic.

Name:	ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1502995166.321596.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	325980

After completely crocheting the cord a few times, I was able to do the whole thing in a bit over 3 minutes, which means that my ~4' shock cord on the Avalon should take me a minute or so.

Like!

Watched a few videos, figured out the basic techniques, and then practiced in my car at lunchtime today using a 12-ft piece of 1/8" elastic.

Name:	ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1502995166.321596.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	325980

After completely crocheting the cord a few times, I was able to do the whole thing in a bit over 3 minutes, which means that my ~4' shock cord on the Avalon should take me a minute or so.

Like!
    Now, tie a 10 oz weight to it and drop it out a 2nd story window (or otherwise) and see if it unravels correctly. If it knots up in the center or anywhere for that matter, you may have your loops too tight. OH...remember to hold the other end in your hand....
    Thinking outside the box is normal for me. Went inside the box once and got claustrophobic.
    Can't never did!

I did the "yank it apart" test, and it came apart very easily. It was not as tight as it may look in the picture. Although, the rough surface of the elastic definitely does create a bit of friction.

I'll keep practicing some more and work on getting consistently loose-but-not-too-loose knots. I think I'm almost there.

You can also baby powder the cord and it'll give it a little lubricity.

Good idea! I always have BP in my rangebox, will do that.

Got my best time down to 2 minutes for the 12' elastic, I think that's good enough, though I'm gonna keep practicing periodically just so I don't forget how to do it. I did try attaching a light weight to the end and it pulled the whole thing out easily. Looks like I get about 4:1 shortening of the cord from the crocheting, so I should end up with a (roughly) 1' bundle to stuff into the BT.

Watch closely:

Name:	ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1503099337.736893.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	648.3 KB 
ID:	326139

Name:	ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1503099353.315256.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	810.0 KB 
ID:	326140

Name:	ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1503099360.666021.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	797.6 KB 
ID:	326141

Name:	ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1503099368.949515.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	342.7 KB 
ID:	326142

***FINISHED***

NOW!!! Go light that candle.
    Can't never did!

Sweet! Can't wait to see the flight photos (or video perhaps?)

Fantastic result.

It's been a pleasuring watching the process.

Good idea! I always have BP in my rangebox, will do that.
    *error* Momentary Acronym Overload */error*

Brief flash of you cheerfully dusting your chute with 4F..........

Quote Originally Posted by Nytrunner View Post
    *error* Momentary Acronym Overload */error*

Brief flash of you cheerfully dusting your chute with 4F..........

Congratulations on an excellent build. I really enjoyed reading through this blog.

Time to light the fuse....

"Just another BAR....."
    I fly with NIRA