Rocket Launch on the Local News

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very, very cool. I showed my kids the picture of your team a couple days ago and they thought it was super-cool, especially because the news camera was there. I'm going to show the video to my daughters first thing tomorrow morning.

VERY COOL!!!
Thanks, Jim!

Well that was awesome. Great looking launch too!
Thanks, I liked the slow (compared to the last flight) takeoff a lot.

Very, very cool. I showed my kids the picture of your team a couple days ago and they thought it was super-cool, especially because the news camera was there. I'm going to show the video to my daughters first thing tomorrow morning.
Thanks! The news cameras were very cool, it made the girls feel like superstars.

I thought the offset fins (not 90 degrees separated) were interesting!
Thanks! It is an upscale of a Binder Design rocket. The fins are spaced 60/120 degrees apart.

That was a beautiful rocket. Well done everyone!

What motor was used?

That was a beautiful rocket. Well done everyone!

What motor was used?

Thanks!

It was an AT L850W. I had actually purchased an L1520T on the morning of the launch, but I didn't realize that it needs the grains glued to the liner 12 hours ahead of time. Luckily the vendor (Sunriver Bob) had the L850W which doesn't need the grains glued to the liner. Unluckily I had already opened the L1520T, so I ended up buying both motors...

Thanks!

It was an AT L850W. I had actually purchased an L1520T on the morning of the launch, but I didn't realize that it needs the grains glued to the liner 12 hours ahead of time. Luckily the vendor (Sunriver Bob) had the L850W which doesn't need the grains glued to the liner. Unluckily I had already opened the L1520T, so I ended up buying both motors...
I didn't glue the grains in the L1520 I flew 2 weeks ago. Flew fine in my 6" Black Brant:)

This is great! Instead children to deal with crap on the internet and facebook!

Again, congrats Dan to yourself, and your students. We need more teachers like you!

That's so cool!

Kudos on getting the youth involved in such a great good thing.:clap:
Those kids have a bright future ahead of them.

That's so cool!

Kudos on getting the youth involved in such a great good thing.:clap:
Those kids have a bright future ahead of them.

Thanks, man! I hope one or more of them end up working in Aeronautics of some sort - think of the rockets they could help me build....

I have to show this to my son, so he'll know where to look for a wife in 20 years or so. :wink:

Wow is that cool Dan,,
Good for you,,
That's wonderful they did a news story on your class..
You're really doing wonderful with the kids Dan..
I bet this will shed more light on what you're doing and you'll be even busier / more students will want into the class...
I don't think it's surprising at all that girls like this class more then boys..
At this age I think girls are more interested in math and science so this makes sense...
Dan, you should really be awfully proud of yourself,, I try to payback for sure, but geezzzz,, lol...
You're doing wonderful man...

Teddy

Wow..that is really something. KUDOS on getting kids into the real 'meat' of rocketry! Great program. There may be hope for us yet, if this is the kind of science-minded kiddoes that can be nurtured to go on and do great things. Totally impressed!

Thanks, man! I hope one or more of them end up working in Aeronautics of some sort - think of the rockets they could help me build....

My daughter is headed to an aeronautical engineering program in a couple of days, after 4 years in a high school rocketry club (TARC and SLI). So it definitely works! :clap:

Thanks for sharing this. It was a very nice flight,.. and it can only inspire others. The pink shock cord was a nice touch.

If anyone is questioning the one young lady's hope that it would "land vertical", watch the maiden flight: [video=youtube;2f0r3-uCXWw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2f0r3-uCXWw[/video]

Great job, Dan!

Dan,
1- is Bob coming to RocketOber??
2- if yes on 1, do you have a 75mm to 98mm adapter (if not someone on the flight line should)
3- what is the minimum thrust that baby needs to clear the rod safely??

I have to show this to my son, so he'll know where to look for a wife in 20 years or so. :wink:
Hehehe...

Wow is that cool Dan,,
Good for you,,
That's wonderful they did a news story on your class..
You're really doing wonderful with the kids Dan..
I bet this will shed more light on what you're doing and you'll be even busier / more students will want into the class...
I don't think it's surprising at all that girls like this class more then boys..
At this age I think girls are more interested in math and science so this makes sense...
Dan, you should really be awfully proud of yourself,, I try to payback for sure, but geezzzz,, lol...
You're doing wonderful man...

Teddy
Thanks, Teddy, those are some very kind words. It is a lot of work, but at times I think that I am having the most fun of anyone.

That's really awesome! Great work inspiring young minds.
Thank you!

Wow..that is really something. KUDOS on getting kids into the real 'meat' of rocketry! Great program. There may be hope for us yet, if this is the kind of science-minded kiddoes that can be nurtured to go on and do great things. Totally impressed!
Thank you. I've been doing LPR with our rocket club for seventeen years, but this has definitely been a leap forward.

Great project, congrats to the Rock-it Girls and Dan ! More pictures of that beautiful rocket please.
Thank you! I will post a few.

My daughter is headed to an aeronautical engineering program in a couple of days, after 4 years in a high school rocketry club (TARC and SLI). So it definitely works! :clap:
I certainly hope so! Thanks for the reassurance! Congratulations on a kid well raised.

Thanks for sharing this. It was a very nice flight,.. and it can only inspire others. The pink shock cord was a nice touch.
Thanks! It is actually a red/white weave in the shroud lines, but it does look pink in the video. The parachute is pinkish-purple. (Thanks, Teddy!)

This just makes my heart happy!:handshake:
Mine, too! Thanks!

If anyone is questioning the one young lady's hope that it would "land vertical", watch the maiden flight: [video=youtube;2f0r3-uCXWw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2f0r3-uCXWw[/video]

Great job, Dan!
Thanks for the clarification! I knew exactly what she was talking about, but it is an odd statement out of context.

Dan,
1- is Bob coming to RocketOber??
2- if yes on 1, do you have a 75mm to 98mm adapter (if not someone on the flight line should)
3- what is the minimum thrust that baby needs to clear the rod safely??

Hi Rob,

I'm doubtful, but possible. Maybe we will do something closer....
I do, we built a nice aluminum thrust plate and adapter tube out of parts that Gary K loaned us.
I would think about 275 pounds. The L850 peaked at a bit over 300 pounds at the start and it attained safe speed at 90" according to simulations. The Green Monster has a twelve foot rail and there is a two foot extension.

WHAT!!!!!!!
Hey,, hey,,
Come on now,,,
I'm standin right here.... lol...

Teddy

WHAT!!!!!!!
Hey,, hey,,
Come on now,,,
I'm standin right here.... lol...

Teddy

It's the shroud lines! The red/white weave looks pink in the video. The beautiful Y-harness that Teddy made us was the usual off-white color tubular nylon. ;)

It's the shroud lines! The red/white weave looks pink in the video. The beautiful Y-harness that Teddy made us was the usual off-white color tubular nylon. ;)

hahahahahahha,,,

Now THAT was funny,,, hahahahaha...

Teddy

Latest posts

Back