Estes V2 new version?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JC1

Reaction score
I recently purchased an estes V2 online, when it arrived it had black packaging which I have not seen before so I would guess it is a new version.

I have previously had this kit and it was great, however this time the balsa fins supplied are made of such thin flexible wood I will have to use them as a template and cut more fins from better wood.

Has anyone else had this issue with estes kits? I'm now worried about buying others from estes incase this has become the case for their other kits aswell.

I recently purchased an estes V2 online, when it arrived it had black packaging which I have not seen before so I would guess it is a new version.

I have previously had this kit and it was great, however this time the balsa fins supplied are made of such thin flexible wood I will have to use them as a template and cut more fins from better wood.

Has anyone else had this issue with estes kits? I'm now worried about buying others from estes incase this has become the case for their other kits aswell.

I have in the past gotten some Estes kits with soft balsa that required me cutting new fins, however it has been an uncommon thing for me.

A picture of the new packaging would be appreciated.

Same kind of face card they're using for the Little Joe II and the 2016 catalog. Probably the next generation of face cards.

Same kind of face card they're using for the Little Joe II and the 2016 catalog. Probably the next generation of face cards.

The black facecards are being used for all of the scale kits in the Estes lineup.

My guess is that you are a victim of the variability of a natural material. How's the build going ? Did you strengthen the kit supplied fins or replace them with something else ? Papering techniques are common and there are many examples here. Basswood is a good substitute for lpr models.

The fins on the two V-2 kits that I built last year both had wood that bordered on too hard/brittle. In fact, I broke fins on one of them just from removing masking tape and had to reglue, fill (and subsequently paper) as I was getting ready to paint. If I built another, I'd probably remake the fins from basswood.

Back