Will a jet engine work?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did the math, if I were to use G80 motors. To make it halfway to space, I would need 150 motors. There would be 8 stages, and it would be 20" in diameter, 6 foot tall, and 20 motors in each stage. Not only that, but it would have to be made out of a Pringles can. Mostly because they can only lift 32 oz. If each motor weighs 4.2 oz then you would need 20 motors on each stage to even lift all the rocket.

rAiN Twist - YouTube

Good luck finding a 20" diameter Pringles can.

Yeah, I just saw that when I looked up S 50150. That was definitely not as small as a model rocket. No, I'm asking, what motor would it take to shoot something about 3-5" in diameter, and about 3-5 foot tall into space.

there isnt a motor that could do it and meet those criteria

there isnt a motor that could do it and meet those criteria

Yeah, being inquisitive is great and all, but asking that question shows that if the OP is really that interested, he should also do some basic research on his own. Which of course is just my opinion.

But, what if you made a rocket out of flubber and filled it with helium....(sorry, couldn't resist)

I will smack the first person to make a blackbrandt 2.0 reference. :)

The only "amateur" rocket to ever reach space, that I know of, is the CSXT GoFast. I believe that's the smallest you can make something that can handle the power required to reach that altitude. It ran on an S-motor.

I'm sure most people here have seen this already, but it's an example of the only realistic way to reach space.
[youtube]001IXnp0ogc[/youtube]

Yeah, being inquisitive is great and all, but asking that question shows that if the OP is really that interested, he should also do some basic research on his own. Which of course is just my opinion.

But, what if you made a rocket out of flubber and filled it with helium....(sorry, couldn't resist)

Was just trying to see what the community knows, and what they could come up with. I'd rather hear from the community, and learn more than just looking up the answer.

rAiN Twist - YouTube

Was just trying to see what the community knows, and what they could come up with. I'd rather hear from the community, and learn more than just looking up the answer.

rAiN Twist - YouTube

As only one team has actually accomplished this goal there isn't much to learn unless you hear from them. This is way beyond what most of us can or want to do. Most people who are answering you seriously are just guessing.

As only one team has actually accomplished this goal there isn't much to learn unless you hear from them. This is way beyond what most of us can or want to do. Most people who are answering you seriously are just guessing.

I learned more than I came in with though. I had no idea that there was different levels of rocket engines. I also didn't know about all of the rockets that they linked, and all of the great information that these people found.

rAiN Twist - YouTube

Where is this thread going? Seriously, I thought it stopped being relevant a long time ago.

And btw, it's not relevant to the title anymore. But there is still questions being asked, and answers being given.

rAiN Twist - YouTube

The only "amateur" rocket to ever reach space, that I know of, is the CSXT GoFast. I believe that's the smallest you can make something that can handle the power required to reach that altitude. It ran on an S-motor.

I'm sure most people here have seen this already, but it's an example of the only realistic way to reach space.
[youtube]001IXnp0ogc[/youtube]

Here's another way for the OP to look at it. Jim Jarvis (active on this forum, you can find his build threads with a little effort) goes to about 100-200K feet with absolutely beautiful 2 or 3-stage minimum diameter rockets, all custom built out of carbon fiber. He launches on commercial motors, so you maybe could get another few percent out by using a high performance research motor design. Running from memory, his rockets are 4" to 3" O to N and maybe 15'-20' long. Go to his build threads to see the exact numbers for what he's done. That's pretty close to what it's possible for an amateur to do on commercial O or less propulsion. It's an order of magnitude closer to space than I'll ever get, but still only halfway there.

Here's another way for the OP to look at it. Jim Jarvis (active on this forum, you can find his build threads with a little effort) goes to about 100-200K feet with absolutely beautiful 2 or 3-stage minimum diameter rockets, all custom built out of carbon fiber. He launches on commercial motors, so you maybe could get another few percent out by using a high performance research motor design. Running from memory, his rockets are 4" to 3" O to N and maybe 15'-20' long. Go to his build threads to see the exact numbers for what he's done. That's pretty close to what it's possible for an amateur to do on commercial O or less propulsion. It's an order of magnitude closer to space than I'll ever get, but still only halfway there.

More than halfway actually. That's awesome.

rAiN Twist - YouTube

I don't want an answer "start small and build up".

rAiN Twist - YouTube

C6-5 Estes rocket motors

rAiN Twist - YouTube

I did the math, if I were to use G80 motors.

rAiN Twist - YouTube

Guess what - after the multiple posts in the multiple threads, you have "started small and built up"

First it was C6-5
In your other thread the E9 was referenced
Then the G80 back in this thread

A few more iterations and you'll get to the S motor..... :wink:

I wonder how many micromax motors it would take to get to the moon??

If you want to go to space on a jet engine, try this thing

[video=youtube;wObBrd9wB6M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wObBrd9wB6M[/video]

Back