Oh, there IS such thing as a dumb question !

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotty Dog

Reaction score
I stop over a friends last eve.
I get there and see his cousin was there too visiting.
So, me friend and I are talking and the other guy was just kinda off in the distance.(we are outside)
I finally ask whats up/whos the dude. He tells me its his cousin and hes not weird.Its just that hes been stone deaf since birth.
Tells me hes so deaf he can't talk at all either cuz he cant hear what hes saying.
OH.
To get to the point.
We are inside and we are communicating by pen and paper.
So I ask his age, sports fan,what teams ect.
All is going well,very nice person.
Then I ask another "Q"
Are you into MUSIC , Do you play guitar? :facepalm: :cyclops: :eek:

He just looks at me and points to his ears and shakes his head NO!!!!

The thing was, me mind was on the fact he could not talk at all. Not that he was deaf.

Glad he was a nice guy....in the end we all had a good laugh about it.

Man, I felt like a real ......whatever.

Last edited:
Beethoven was deaf, and I know at least one deaf drummer. *shrug*

If you need to communicate back & forth a lot with a person who is non-verbal, I've had good success w/ a phone that has a real slideout keyboard.

I had similar experience when I was in Jr high school. We had a man that would come by the school a few days a month who was born blind. He had his German Shepard eye dog with him most of the time. Not sure exactly what he did at the school but nevermind that. He was speaking to our class and did a Q and A portion. So I finally get to ask my question. (I graduated with 3.9 GPA without studying)
"How do you know how fast you are going?". The room went silent. His reply "Well, I don't really drive that much.". He was cool about it, and I didn't get in too much trouble. I felt like such an a$$.

Mikey D

While on a trip to Greece, was talking to some locals at a park. When they heard my "english" they all wanted to practice theirs. So we all began discussing various meaningless chatter.

Discussing various Holidays we celebrated, I told them all the great stuff we had on Thanksgiving, turkey, stuffing, taters, etc. etc.& then asked them what they prepared and ate on their Thanksgiving.......

At first the blank stares & finally spontaneous laughter threw me off a bit, then the muffled talking in Greek, finally someone explaining they did not celebrate Thanksgiving as they never had any Indians or turkeys.

That was my "dumb" question.

So I'm curious if it's possible to build a 2 stage K to C rocket, but I don't really feel like fiberglassing, and I wanna use phenolic....

Hey... why are you clenching your fist like that? :p

Back many moons ago when I was a teenager I would go out to the local airport and watch the local skydiving club members jump
While packing his parachute I overheard a member mention the word "wiffo" I dont know the correct spelling .
later on I asked my friend what was a "wiffo" to which he replied .
It was an tail going around the jump circuit where one jumper was approached by an old timer and asked the question what would happen if he jumped out of the parachute ?
The poor old timer kinda slurred the question and what if sounded like "wiffo" So from then on all of the non jumpers were refered to as "wiffos" :)

Back in 1991, I was in the Navy, and we were in England for a port visit. It was the 4th of July. I was out with a buddy of mine, Mike Maroon. He was a jet mech, which should tell you everything that you need to know :wink:

So we're having a good time at a local pub, beers are going down smooth and fast, conversation is great, and he decides to ask a local if they celebrate the 4th of July?:facepalm:

Gentleman replies "I hate YANKS".

Mike engages, quite innocently, "No, really, do you guys do fireworks and stuff for the 4th?"

Classic mk1 mod 0 bar fight ensues between British locals and American Sailors. Shore patrol and everything, like a classic movie.

Later, getting patched up in medical onboard the ship, Mike observes "I guess they don't celebrate, huh?"

"No Mike, they don't celebrate the day that they got their butts kicked". :y:

Last edited:
So I'm curious if it's possible to build a 2 stage K to C rocket, but I don't really feel like fiberglassing, and I wanna use phenolic....

Hey... why are you clenching your fist like that? :p

There are no stupid questions ... only stupid people. :wink:

My neighbor and wife are stone cold deaf. When setting up to give them a ride somewhere I've told them I'll knock on there door to go.
The look on there face is priceless. Duh they won't here the door.
I proceed to tell them I can call them.
Duh they won't hear the phone.
I laughed pretty hard with him. I still often ask if I can call him. I'm reminded again.

Back in 1991, I was in the Navy, and we were in England for a port visit. It was the 4th of July. I was out with a buddy of mine, Mike Maroon. He was a jet mech, which should tell you everything that you need to know :wink:

So we're having a good time at a local pub, beers are going down smooth and fast, conversation is great, and he decides to ask a local if they celebrate the 4th of July?:facepalm:

Mike engages, quite innocently, "No, really, do you guys do fireworks and stuff for the 4th?"

Classic mk1 mod 0 bar fight ensues between British locals and American Sailors. Shore patrol and everything, like a classic movie.

Later, getting patched up in medical onboard the ship, Mike observes "I guess they don't celebrate, huh?"

That is so funny. Best part is it would be a jet mech who pushed the topic. Hasn't changed much.

Last edited:

Years ago on Late Night with David Letterman, Dave was interviewing John Cleese on the 5th of July. He asked John about it and John jokingly said that they celebrate the 3rd of July, and call it Dependence Day.

Equally funny (to me) was when, years ago, someone tried to convince me that they don't have the 4th of July in England. I asked, "Then what day comes between July 3rd and July 5th?"

The persons said, "Well, they have July 4th, obviously, but they don't have the 4th of July!" I still crack up thinking about that.

When I was in England, I had the unfortunate luck of coming across Airman Ledbetter (I believe he was a Sr Airman who was eventually promoted to Seargent... Before getting hit with Article 15s which got him busted back down a grade (or 3)). Ledbetter was an expert insult artist. You couldn't walk past the jerk without him shouting some kind of insult at you. If you were dumb enough to try to come back at him, he'd rip you again. If you were really stupid, you'd try something you came up with after 5 or more minutes, and his retort would be even more humiliating. I rapidly learned that avoidance was the best way to avoid being the butt of his jokes. I learned more of his routine, and managed to mostly avoid contact with him, and his buddies in the barracks as much as possible.

Until a day in August 1990, shortly before I was to leave England, and the USAF (I was RIF'd along with 44,000 others). My (now Ex-) fiancee was on my arm as we were heading to the BX for something or another. Ledbetter and his buddies were camped out in front of the barracks by the barbecue pit drinking beer, and cooking something when we emerged from the building.

He then asked his stupid question...

"Hey! Parsons! You going to the chow hall?"

Sensing another verbal attack by this @$$, I quickened my pace, but he asked again.

Bowing to the inevitable, I responded with a simple "No", and kept going.

He then threw out his zinger... "I hear they're serving fish... Maybe you'll get lucky and choke on a bone."

Then I had that flash of brilliance that so many people wish for...

"Yeah Ledbetter... You'd know ALL ABOUT choking on bones!"

There was a stunned silence from all his drinking buddies, until one of them said... "Dude! He burned you! He BURNED YOU BAD!!! And you set yourself up for it!"

That was the last time I ever saw him.

Shortly afterwards, I was back in the US. Although I didn't get to win the girl's hand in marriage, I did manage to pull one over on that @$$hat.

Last edited:
Good for you, Jim! Those are some very satisfying moments.

When I was a college student, I stopped by my friend's on-campus apartment just to run in and get something of mine that he had. I pulled up to the parking area, but the spaces were full and several people were parked in the fire lane. So I parked in the fire lane and went up to his apartment. I was in there for about five minutes, and when I came out, a cop was writing tickets for everyone in the fire lane.

I saw him and asked, "I just here for a few minutes. Can I go?"

He said, "No, I already have your tag number." So I had to sit in my car and wait for my ticket. When He got to me, he looked at the NO PARKING FIRE LANE sign right about my car, and said, "Do they teach reading at this school?"

I said, "Yeah, but I haven't taken it yet."

Another good one ...

Back in my film crew days, I was working on Her Alibi as a set dresser, and we had a Teamster assigned to our truck. According to union rules, he was responsible for everything inside the truck, and for operating the lift gate. Once the lifte gate was down, it was my crew's responsibility from there on out.

Now our driver, whose name was also John, was smart-Alecky, and I liked him. But he always seem to be one joke ahead of me.

Well, one day, I needed to get a big piece of furniture off the truck. So John got it slid out to the lift gate, and lowered the lift gate. He then stood there and sucked on a cigarette while I (at 5'4" and about 100 pounds) struggled to get the piece off the lift.

He watched me with a gleam in his eye. Finally, I had to ask, "John, come on! Can you give me a hand for a minute?"

He took a drag and said, "Nope. I got a hernia, and the doctor said I can't lift nothin' heavier than my <male member>."

So I said, "Well, then, how did you get that cigarette in your mouth?"

He cracked up and came down and helped me. :)

My Mom tells me about my Grandmother... Apparently, our brand of humor (Irish) comes from her side of the family.

In the movie "Mommy Dearest" there's a scene where Christina is asking about what to call her new stepfather (the head of Pepsi)...

My Grandmother pipes up in the theater... "How about POP?"

I have one in the same theme as Scotty Dog's. When was in college, I met a girl who was blind at a big lecture hall, and she mentioned she was waiting for a friend, but she didn't know if she had arrived yet. I decided to be helpful, so I asked, "What does your friend look like?"

I have a friend who is blind. When his wife takes him to the barbershop and he gets in the chair, she says that they invariably turn to her and ask, "How does he want it cut?" And she says, "I don't know. Ask him!"

Back