Do you have other exciting hobbies?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've started reading the dictionary twice.....both times I decided that I'd rather wait for the movie.

I collect Knifes. I sell some and do a sharpening service.
I do leather crafting also, though that is usually done starting next month.
I'd post pics, but I can't find my Camera! Yet...
I know it's somewhere around here, I had it last fall.
Oh, I USE to do wood working until...well, I use to.

I collect Knifes. I sell some and do a sharpening service.
I do leather crafting also, though that is usually done starting next month.
I'd post pics, but I can't find my Camera! Yet...
I know it's somewhere around here, I had it last fall.
Oh, I USE to do wood working until...well, I use to.

I see you and I have a hobby in common - looking for stuff. Misplaced my car keys today, so I had to use my backup set of keys. Eventually found my regular set; they were in the backseat of my car.

I usually misplace my glasses or wallet, but sometimes to mix it up and keep things fresh I misplace rocket parts. For about a year I misplaced the plastic bits to my Estes D Region Tomahawk. Found them about a month ago while looking for something else. Now I can't find the rocket - sadly not making this up!

Putting decals on a B-17. Sadly, what you see in this photo took us several hours to do. We had to research where they went which took a lot of time. Applying them was pretty fast once we figured out what the drawings meant.

IMG_4798.JPG

I collect / read phone books too. Plot is a little weak. Over the years, the characters keep changing. I thought I figured out the main character since he was in all 86 books, but he was taken out of it last year. A bit of a plot twist for the diehard fans I guess.
I'm sorry , but that's REALLY funny- LMAO-thx!

I've started reading the dictionary twice.....both times I decided that I'd rather wait for the movie.

I obsessively read Harry Potter... the series is at 30 rereads or so but some of the books I have over 40 on.
The best part is that I can do it with my other hobby: Lying down in bed!

Protip: Do NOT sand CWF in bed.
I woke up itchy and with suspiciously brown snot... I thought the vacuum sucked but it turns out it sucked!
I also enjoy watching rocket building "tutorials"... Like there was one where the narrator basically recited the instructions but missed key points and messed things up.
And there's also the amazon reviews on kits with low ratings... Fantastic display of human ignorance.

Etc.

I used to SCUBA dive before all my time and money was consumed raising children. Other than that I keep an aquarium in my office and try to maintain all the "stuff" that we own. I swear just fixing crap around my house is nearly a full-time job.

Model Railroading; but it only gets exciting when I perform a "Gomez Addams" maneuver.

Aquariums and mushroom hunting are my two other hobbies that I am into these days. Prior to having kids I used to scuba dive and do a little caving.

I collect leaves. So far, I have about 1.2 million in the front yard. I'd like to collect to whole set, but the neighbors keep stealing them. I gave some to the street sweeper last week, but i managed to replace them.

Last edited:
Most recently my newest hobby is questing for old vintage woodworking machines to fix up and restore. I've found that this require constant vigilance on Craigslist, especially the "Free Stuff" part.
An Item came up there yesterday that I'm going to try my best to get, that if I do get will be beyond Epic.
I also started using my drill press to to jeweling again, something I've not done for years, but is pretty neat, and looks nice on old timey tools.

New Stuff 2016-10-23 003.jpgjeweling 2016-10-24 001.jpg

Progess of SAW 2016-10-28 002.jpg

Progess of SAW 2016-10-28 001.jpg

Yes, rockets will be made by the multitudes as soon as necessary.
I'm working as fast as I can.
These machines take time.

Last edited:
Well there is this:

30594813356_9051f03785_k.jpg

It's exciting to me...

You sir (or ma'am - let us not discriminate... ) are a discerning person of taste. And you are in San Diego, CA. (according to your profile). Which begs the question: "why have we never gone out to the desert together to launch a few rockets, and vacuum up a few photons.." Do you not think this is odd?

:puke:

:facepalm:... Maybe there should be an 18+ section of the forum?...

...Or maybe a little checkbox to protect those little eyes...

No, that's not a facepalm, that's "shielding eyes"

Don't feed the trolls, but especially don't join them.

Since so many of you are male... I have to admit... Not more exciting than 60s' girls in high heel go-go boots and mini-skirts... (or 2016 girls in the same actually), and highly impractical on motorcycles btw,

So for now, 40+ years later... this will do as a substitute... after all, bigger is better right? :lol::bangpan::tongue:
:)

30128241453_4d71fbd359_k.jpg

^That, sir is sexy! I have an 8 inch but it's a pain to lug around. Got some decent pics of the Venus transit. i think I posted one here a while back.
Not sure why we never hooked up- going to ROCstock?

New addition to my fleet. 80+ mph rigger. Maiden it this Sunday with a new motor billet crankcase running it on.AV gas.

IMG_20161111_172934_298.jpg

I started riding a small motorcycle at 12 years old. Had several bike along the way. Got a Suzuki sportbike in 1983. We chased each other around curves and winding roads. Took a roadrace class once.
Ran my Suzuki at the local dragstrip and the excitement of speed was awesome.
Built a dragbike in 1985, ran 9.17 in the quarter.
Walked away in 1992 to raise our daughter and start a new engineering career.
Made the big move to DC in 2000. In 2007 I wanted to race again.
I designed the wiring, chassis mods and built the motor myself.
It was push-button start,gas only. Ran 8.20 sec right off the trailer on the latest engine.
0-60 mph in 1 second, think about it.
Sold the bike a few months ago, still thinking about two wheels but in a streetable direction.
Burnout- Rt Side-Web.JPG

Well, I used to monitor spy number stations and radio pirates...is that exciting enough?

You do very nice work Sir. I really appreciate the scroll work on the Dragon Clock.
I'm a bit of a Dragon nut. I have tat's of dragons on both my upper arms.
I wish I would have kept my scroll saw. I could have managed it in the apartment here easy enough.
Do you use the cut in any direction blades?

I do a little woodworking.

exciting? to me it is.

Back