MDRA Eastern Shore Launch 219 this weekend.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bat-mite

Rocketeer in MD
Reaction score
Weather looking GREAT for Saturday (maybe a little breezy), but maybe a thunderstorm on Sunday.

I'll only be flying three rockets (Leviathan, Scorpion, Radial Flyer). I retired my G-Force and my MDRM.

More time to help the kids!

Hope to be there Saturday with two new questionable things to terrify the crowd. And four proven ones too.

There will be two Ekranoplans - the proven Mini Chesapeake Sea Monster will go up on 5 A10-3s. Ejection will be early! The other is questionable - the non-gliding glider now called the Chesapeake Sky Monster. It should be stable but could shred under power or on deployment. It glides like a brick with wings and will be pointed down range when not one is out there. The other iffy one is the 3-D Boyce Saturn V on a C6-3. I decided to swing it to verify Boyce's recommended CG. Very wobbly. I added a chunk of Estes clay and it swings straight and true but will be underpowered.

The rest will be boring to everyone but me.

I checked the weather this morning and it looks clear both days.

I will be there on Saturday with a few rockets.

• For my Level 2 cert, built a RW Patriot kit that was extended 25" for dual deploy from a single compartment using an ARRD. I haven't had time to fully update the build thread, but it's done. Just need to do the ground testing tonight and shoot a quick coat of paint on it (it'll get repainted properly later).
  • Super Batray on an I.
  • Old Aerotech initiator from the early 2000's (my oldest surviving rocket) on a G.
  • Callisto on an H.

I swear this time I will arm the altimeters properly...:facepalm:

Off topic, but anyone have an idea if/when we will know about whether or not we're having a November Red Glare this year?

As for Red Glare, generally the approved answer is you'll hear as soon as a decision is made.

As I expected, the Ekrano-glider failed. Didn't shred. Didn't get a chance to glide. Tried to go after Bat-mite :dark:, RIP (the rocket, not Bat-mite)

The Baby CSM flew fine on five A10s.

The Boyce 3D Saturn V flew nicely but lost a fin.

As I expected, the Ekrano-glider failed. Didn't shred. Didn't get a chance to glide. Tried to go after Bat-mite :dark:, RIP (the rocket, not Bat-mite)

The Baby CSM flew fine on five A10s.

The Boyce 3D Saturn V flew nicely but lost a fin.

The Ekrano-glider was a fun one even if it failed.

I can't believe how many forward closure failures there were today. We had 3 rockets flame out on the pad and one blow a nozzle.

Got I got my Level 2 today. Flight was perfect. I thought we were going to escape any rocket damage until Fred's rocket shattered the windshield on the Expidition. Oh well. **** happens. On to Level 3.

Congrats on the L2 and condolences on the windshield! I bugged out a little early as I thought workers were coming to the house (which they didn't...grrrr). I've never seen so many closures go. Fiery.

Last edited:
The Ekrano-glider was a fun one even if it failed.

I can't believe how many forward closure failures there were today. We had 3 rockets flame out on the pad and one blow a nozzle.

Got I got my Level 2 today. Flight was perfect. I thought we were going to escape any rocket damage until Fred's rocket shattered the windshield on the Expidition. Oh well. **** happens. On to Level 3.

Oh, no! That was yours?! Youch!

Congrats again on the L2. I guess you didn't need me to sign. Glad Dick didn't kill me or my family. In all, great day! :)

Congrats again on the L2. I guess you didn't need me to sign. Glad Dick didn't kill me or my family. In all, great day! :)

I am glad ya'll are safe. :) I just thought it was funny that it pointed your way given my first response to your thread.

Yeah, that was us. Fred's rocket hit fin tip first right in the windshield. The Nomex pad worked its way up the shroud lines and inadvertently reefed the main chute. I was parked next to his rocket magnet of a truck so it's no surprise... It all worked out though as the glass was $0 deductible. Got a new windshield this morning no cost.

Robert signed the paperwork for me before I could take it to you and Fred's sending it in with the test score.

On to the Level 3 cert.

IMG_7321.jpg

Yeah, that was us. Fred's rocket hit fin tip first right in the windshield. The Nomex pad worked its way up the shroud lines and inadvertently reefed the main chute. I was parked next to his rocket magnet of a truck so it's no surprise... It all worked out though as the glass was $0 deductible. Got a new windshield this morning no cost.

Robert signed the paperwork for me before I could take it to you and Fred's sending it in with the test score.

On to the Level 3 cert.

Sorry about that.. Glad to hear the fix was completed... Word is my truck will soon have it's own special away cell type parking spot, beings it draws so much attention from rockets with a mind of their own....:bangpan:

BTW, Batmite can't sign off Tripoli certs, only NAR L-1 and L-2...He must of been confused...:lol:

Right ... Prefect, TAP, or Board Member. Much more relaxed in NAR. One Level 3 witness, or two witnesses, one of which is at the same cert level. Oh, well.

Sunday afternoon was my first visit to a MDRA launch. Of course I got there late and being that it was a bit slow at the end the event ended early. I didn't get to shoot much but here are a handful of photos from the event. I am looking forward to going in October as a spectator as I plan on joining in December.
You can find the photos I shot on my flickr page https://flic.kr/s/aHskHkrLoy
DSC_4055 by Petworth Traction Co., on Flickr DSC_4052 by Petworth Traction Co., on Flickr

Sunday afternoon was my first visit to a MDRA launch. Of course I got there late and being that it was a bit slow at the end the event ended early. I didn't get to shoot much but here are a handful of photos from the event. I am looking forward to going in October as a spectator as I plan on joining in December.
You can find the photos I shot on my flickr page https://flic.kr/s/aHskHkrLoy
DSC_4055 by Petworth Traction Co., on Flickr DSC_4052 by Petworth Traction Co., on Flickr

Ack, don't just spectate. Seems a shame to pay yearly dues for just one launch.

When I joined several launches ago, I was told that it's good for 1 year, 365 days from when I paid.

I met with and spoke to Troy who I believe was the RSO (I learned that term from him....) and he told me membership is from January to January. After I join I will petition to be the webmaster for the club's site. I get a sense that whoever is doing their web site would love to have someone else do it. I have done https://www.mowermovie.com and https://www.baseballgeek.net. I can even host their site pro bono :)

Being that the club is hosting LDRS next year it will be important to have a good web site that will offer possible attendants all the information they will need to have a good trip.

I just checked the MDRA web page, and it looks like I was mis-informed when I paid my dues. No matter when you join, your membership drops dead 31 December of each year.

" Membership dues are $25 for the year - January through December 2016"

I met with and spoke to Troy who I believe was the RSO (I learned that term from him....) and he told me membership is from January to January. After I join I will petition to be the webmaster for the club's site. I get a sense that whoever is doing their web site would love to have someone else do it. I have done https://www.mowermovie.com and https://www.baseballgeek.net. I can even host their site pro bono :)

I have always understood it's Jan to Jan. I myself only joined for this year in July...will only get in 3-4 launches there. But it's worth it! :)

We could use a new webmaster. I take it the old version is very hard to maintain and the long-term web guy got either too busy or tired of it. They have a new version but don't know why it's never taken off. YouTube is fine for the videos, but it would be nice to have the photo albums back.

Even people who know HTML and CSS are using web building tools such as WordPress to build their web sites. I used WP to get those 2 sites up. I know there isn't much on my baseball card trading site yet. I've been too busy with model trolleys and rockets. Using WordPress a site could be put together in a way anyone with the ability to type can update the site.

The main info that is not maintained is the launch media pages. I forget the details but these were hard to post.

Even people who know HTML and CSS are using web building tools such as WordPress to build their web sites. I used WP to get those 2 sites up. I know there isn't much on my baseball card trading site yet. I've been too busy with model trolleys and rockets. Using WordPress a site could be put together in a way anyone with the ability to type can update the site.

+1....

Back