AIRFest 22: Lost and Found

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

llickteig1

KLOUDBusters Chief Logistician
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
If you left rockets (or significant parts) out in the fields last weekend at AIRFest 22, please post them here.

We'll post what we have found here as well.

If something is found we'll do our best to work with you to get it back. You can PM me if preferred.

Thanks, --Lance.

OK, I'll start ...

A Wildman V2 was found and left in the reclamation area.

If it is yours, describe it and we'll discuss return.

--Lance.

To everyone who helped find my white AT Mustang, my thanks.

I had resigned myself to not getting it back, when a group looking for their L1 brought it out of the weeds based on a tip from the plane.

Sally Ride Can Dance will fly again at High Frontier!

I'm in.

Lost one of my favorites. ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1473178054.535857.jpg

It's a 2.6 fiberglass with a 54mm 2560 Roushtech case with plugged closure. The rocket was not much longer than the motor case. It had head end deployment for the recovery.

I flew from the 50's pads and it arced over to the south. I did hear my tracker indicate an apogee event, but lost signal shortly after.

Reward if found.

It has a com-spec tracker on 479

Last edited:
Well my sky angle cert 3 medium chute kinda came detached from my rocket on the way down so if anybody finds it and could return it would be greatly appreciated it's black and redish btw.

Well my sky angle cert 3 medium chute kinda came detached from my rocket on the way down so if anybody finds it and could return it would be greatly appreciated it's black and redish btw.
Isn't that something?

Which day was this? Friday-Saturday = look in a fleld 1 mile north and east. Sunday-Monday = look in Argonia. ;) Sorry, couldn't resist.

--Lance.

My wife and I saw an orange chute pop up above the milo a few times while out retrieving a few rockets. Attached is a map of the area.

Rocket Lost Area.jpg

BTW, just to educate folks a little bit ...

The really nasty stuff to the north 1/2 mile that was 5-7 feet tall, had corn-like leaves, a small tassel on top and was a sticky, nasty, mess to try to navigate through is forage sorghum or sudangrass. Our land owner calls it sudan and pronounces it like suh-dan. We have never encountered that crap before around the RP. It is a viable crop to rotate in and is used for livestock feed.

I thought it was going to be my final resting place.

I have pre-treated and washed my jeans through two cycles to try to get that goo off them. They still aren't clean. I'm going to try ammonia and hot water this time.

--Lance.

Last edited:
BTW, just to educate folks a little bit ...

The really nasty stuff to the north 1/2 mile that was 5-7 feet tall, had corn-like leaves, a small tassel on top and was a sticky, nasty, mess to try to navigate through is forage sorghum or sudangrass. Our land owner calls it sudan and pronounces it like suh-dan. We have never encountered that crap before around the RP. It is a viable crop to rotate in and is used for livestock feed.

I thought it was going to be my final resting place.

I have pre-treated and washed my jeans through two cycles to try to get that goo off them. They still aren't clean. I'm going to try ammonia and hot water this time.

That makes so much more sense. My first time at RP, & I was wondering how on earth most people get things back. I took about five steps in & noped right back out.

...I have pre-treated and washed my jeans through two cycles to try to get that goo off them. They still aren't clean. I'm going to try ammonia and hot water this time.

--Lance.

Acetone, naphtha, paint thinner, denatured alcohol, try 'em all.

That would have been after an older gentleman from Tennessee lost is L2 cert flight rocket in that general area with an orange chute.

I lost the booster section to a RW 38 Go Devil. There was a slimline retainer and a DMS AT motor. It went east-south east from the 40 pads on Friday before noon. I watched the flight through binoculars and after chuffing on the pad for 4-5 seconds it finally got off the rail and weather cocked bad cause of the less then optimal speed off the rail. It only went 1900' high before it separated at high speed and cut the shock cord and it fell flat all the way down. The payload bay and NC all deployed at 500' and recovered fine. I searched the dirt field to the east but stopped at the road. It might be in the 2' high grass field beyond that.20160902_121903.jpg

Bill, that was found. It was in the pile next to the RSO

That would have been after an older gentleman from Tennessee lost is L2 cert flight rocket in that general area with an orange chute.

WOW, I feel real bad about leaving it and not going out into the weeds and stuff to get it. But, on the other hand, by the time you get to L2 and start flying higher altitudes in windy conditions, you should consider investing in a tracker. I have 4 transmitters and put one in every flight. I even put a tracker in my daughters Estes Big Daddy which flew on an E28T. We ended up not needing it, but it is always the flight that does NOT have a tracker in it that gets lost.

Cool, thanks Jason. Shame about yours. That thing was beautiful. Fingers crossed.

WOW, I feel real bad about leaving it and not going out into the weeds and stuff to get it. But, on the other hand, by the time you get to L2 and start flying higher altitudes in windy conditions, you should consider investing in a tracker. I have 4 transmitters and put one in every flight. I even put a tracker in my daughters Estes Big Daddy which flew on an E28T. We ended up not needing it, but it is always the flight that does NOT have a tracker in it that gets lost.

I was his pad manager too and asked about tracking... sigh.

Trackers are great but I wish they got them down from trees:(

Trackers are great but I wish they got them down from trees:(

With GPS and a live photomap it can tell you pretty likely which tree it's in or narrowly missed! Plain map, it tells you where to go. Trees, towers, wires, ponds, lakes and barn roofs are your last enemies. Anything that goes outta sight for greater than 30 seconds with no smoke trail is likely going to be lost without a tracker unless it's a dead calm day. RDF is ok as long as one has an idea of where it is to get within the ground footprint of the transmitter. Go completely ballistic with RDF and if the visual is lost, consider it a done deal. GPS tracker might get out a packet when going ballistic that's pretty close to where the rocket is going to hit. I had that experience with an EggFinder the first time I flew it. That one position report got me right to where the
fincan was sticking out of the ground. Kurt

I lost a rocket its a purple and orange rocket with fins like a kraken about 4ft tall with a bright orange chute that i think is in the milo where you guys are describing if you find it i would be forever grateful and owe you a beer at the next kloudbuster event.

Lance, I lost a Jolly Logic Chute Deploy when an 18 second delay imitated a 12 second delay and got an early ejection.

If you left rockets (or significant parts) out in the fields last weekend at AIRFest 22, please post them here.

I don't expect to ever see it again, but the 3" airframe I shredded on an M2245 on Friday had a new 48" Fruity Chutes orange and black chute in a deployment bag and a Giant Leap drogue that were not recovered.

My thanks to the folks who found and returned the remains of the nose cone and airframe that were found north of the launch site... Very glad to have the data from the TeleMega that was just forward of the motor case and recovered intact, and of course the Pro75 6xl motor case and closures all of which were also recovered intact!

--Lance.

I think that an old pair of coveralls & shoes might find their way into my rocket recovery "kit" after seeing the folks returning from "The Field":

Pig_Pen.gif

Last edited:
Washed mine today in hot water...clean after one wash. Now back to the lost and found......did anyone find mine yet??!! LOL!!

We'll post what we have found here as well.

If something is found we'll do our best to work with you to get it back. You can PM me if preferred.

Thanks, --Lance.

I lost a LOC Mini Magg there last year...I don't guess that was ever found? It would have been in the field just across 80th Street from the launch head.

We lost a Wildman Jart (John Deere green & yellow). It looked like it landed in the soybeans but could have drifted farther into "the field" of sorghum or whatever that tall gooey stuff is. This was Sunday afternoon. it has an orange Top Flight parachute.

Back