BattlePark Fall Launch October 28, 29, & 30

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ben,

I'm doing the NAR level 1. I've been sharing emails with Elaine.

I did my Level 1 with the Culpeper folks, was also my first high power launch.
Remember it like it was yesterday, you couldn't find a better group to do it with.

Good luck with your flight.

My first HPR launch was in 2003 at BattlePark and I flew my PML Callisto on F and G motors at least 6 times that day! All the HPR going that day was amazing. Chuck Neff flew his L3 cert that day.
Since then, I've done my L1, L2 and L3 at BattlePark!

No place better!

BTW, the forecast for this weekend in SUNNY all three days with 65º Fri. 78º on Sat. and back up to 82º on Sunday!

And light winds all weekend. I'll definitely be there all day on Sunday and I may come for a while on Saturday too.

My first HPR launch was in 2003 at BattlePark and I flew my PML Callisto on F and G motors at least 6 times that day! All the HPR going that day was amazing. Chuck Neff flew his L3 cert that day.
Since then, I've done my L1, L2 and L3 at BattlePark! No place better!

I was at that launch.....Gawd...13 years ago !?! I feel old.

I did my Level 1 there in '93, at the old site with a Loc IV kit I bought from Mike S's Blue Ridge Rocketry. Jim Scarpine helped me with the motor selection for the first flight. The Level 1 was on a Vulcan Smoky Sam H100. Went clear out of sight,very happy to have found it by a pond after a very long walk. Some of the guys from the LIARs group from up north and the Argonia guys were at some of those launches...I recall a large cluster that flew at dusk and staged with Rocketflite Silver Streaks in the sustainer.......
Very Cool!

Now I really feel old.

BTW, the forecast for this weekend in SUNNY all three days with 65º Fri. 78º on Sat. and back up to 82º on Sunday!
And light winds all weekend. I'll definitely be there all day on Sunday and I may come for a while on Saturday too.

If the winds are as light as we think.... I'm going to dig out some of my apogee recovery /non DD projects, inc. my Cosmodrome Aerobee Hi two stager ...time for some altitude for the non DD rockets.
Jeff - Kens got a motor case for that RC Phoenix...I seem to have misplaced mine after that last flight in April.
I know Ken has to leave early on Saturday for a night launch - hopefully I can get this case to fly that Phoenix some more......you can have some stick time if you like.

I'm looking at Sunday but not sure yet

Last edited:
Ken will be at BP all three days. He is planning on leaving early Saturday afternoon for the Novaar night launch.

Ben

Do I need to be a member to launch? I hope to attend to finally fly my Partizon.

Since all the launches are research, you also need to be a member of NAR or Tripoli. I chafed at that a bit during my purely non-HPR days but considering that you get to see tons of other stuff going up and rarely lose a rocket there, it's pretty worth it. Also Kevin is still doing the CTI certification special I think ( https://cavemanchemistry.com/nez/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6_79&products_id=282 ) (says will be there Sat. and Sun. BTW).

NOVAAR will also be flying on Saturday and is a great place to fly MPR. Fly it!!!!11!

Last edited:
Friday is in the books and it was great! It was a little breezy early, the forcasted 9 mph. By 1 pm winds were dying down and by 3pm had changed direction by almost 180 deg. At least 3 flights over 5000 ft. One M off the away cell trailer, a J and K from the HPR pads.

I had three flights today, the last was my 4" Patriot on a I161W. It got 2253 ft and because of the JL CR, landed down range about 200 yds from the pads. If I had popped the chute at apogee it might have landed closer to the flight line. The winds aloft were still out of the West but the surface winds were from the East. Kind of weird, but fun to fly in.

I used the JL CR on all three flights today. Wish I had one of those years ago!

I hope others have as much success this weekend as I feel I had. A successful Level 1 Flight on Friday (H123 @ 954ft). Then, two dual deployment test flights today which, while not quite what I expected, were a very successful learning experience (H123W @ 920 ft & I218 @1600 ft). There was some slight tube damage during the second shot which I suspect is due to too much black powder in the ejection charges.

The folks at Battlepark were fantastic and I appreciate all of the help and advice that I got from everyone. Now, I'm looking forward to the November launch...

I hope others have as much success this weekend as I feel I had. A successful Level 1 Flight on Friday (H123 @ 954ft). Then, two dual deployment test flights today which, while not quite what I expected, were a very successful learning experience (H123W @ 920 ft & I218 @1600 ft). There was some slight tube damage during the second shot which I suspect is due to too much black powder in the ejection charges.
The folks at Battlepark were fantastic and I appreciate all of the help and advice that I got from everyone. Now, I'm looking forward to the November launch...

Level 1 on the MadCow Super DX3?
Congratulations.

Did you get to fly your 2 stage?

Level 1 on the MadCow Super DX3?
Congratulations.

Did you get to fly your 2 stage?

Yes. It was the Mad Cow Super DX3 with optional AV bay. It flew nice and slow, perfect for a "graded" flight.

It was too windy for the 2 stage rocket to fly with both stages. Because it was setup for direct black powder staging we were pretty limited for motors with low thrust (Estes F15). We were worried about the slow rod exit velocity and weathercocking from the wind. So we decided just to fly the top stage with an F40 which CATO'ed about 30 ft above the stand. I think the half of the rocket that survived may be reborn as a the top of a rocket for G/H motors.

Yes. It was the Mad Cow Super DX3 with optional AV bay. It flew nice and slow, perfect for a "graded" flight.

It was too windy for the 2 stage rocket to fly with both stages. Because it was setup for direct black powder staging we were pretty limited for motors with low thrust (Estes F15). We were worried about the slow rod exit velocity and weathercocking from the wind. So we decided just to fly the top stage with an F40 which CATO'ed about 30 ft above the stand. I think the half of the rocket that survived may be reborn as a the top of a rocket for G/H motors.

Yep...I opted out on my 2 stager as well....it doesn't have DD, so I decided to try another time.
Glad you had fun and got the L1.

Tim, Congrats on the L1! Now we just need to get you up on the DD! Then "The Sky's the Limit"!

Besides losing my Estes Leviathan to a shread and losing the Jolly Logic Chute Release also, I also had some minor damage done to my 3" scratch built I named Dog Whistler.

I flew it on a 4g 38mm EX motor. It got just over 2000 ft and it drifted a long ways under drogue. I think the fact it tilted with the wind at the top didn't help. Anyway, it landed in the cow pasture. When I went it there, the cows came running. I think most of them are 2 year olds. They seemed to want to play like puppies. Of course they messed up my rocket. One stepped on the upper payload tube, another chewed on the drogue chute, but the worst was a couple of them peed all over the fincan and main chute. It was dripping off the fincan when I picked that up.

Of course they wanted to play while I carried the rocket back out of the pasture. They like running up behind you and when you turn around, they jump to the side and race away. As soon as you start walking again, they are right back at it. It was kind of fun, but after what they did to my rocket, I wasn't really in the mood....

Anyway, a good washing, new payload tube and a trip through the wash machine for the chutes and cords and it should be good as new.

Besides losing my Estes Leviathan to a shread and losing the Jolly Logic Chute Release also, I also had some minor damage done to my 3" scratch built I named Dog Whistler.

I flew it on a 4g 38mm EX motor. It got just over 2000 ft and it drifted a long ways under drogue. I think the fact it tilted with the wind at the top didn't help. Anyway, it landed in the cow pasture. When I went it there, the cows came running. I think most of them are 2 year olds. They seemed to want to play like puppies. Of course they messed up my rocket. One stepped on the upper payload tube, another chewed on the drogue chute, but the worst was a couple of them peed all over the fincan and main chute. It was dripping off the fincan when I picked that up.

Of course they wanted to play while I carried the rocket back out of the pasture. They like running up behind you and when you turn around, they jump to the side and race away. As soon as you start walking again, they are right back at it. It was kind of fun, but after what they did to my rocket, I wasn't really in the mood....

Anyway, a good washing, new payload tube and a trip through the wash machine for the chutes and cords and it should be good as new.

That's a great outlook! Packing things up now to head that way!

Nice warm day with some wind. Sometimes that works for you and some days, like today, not so much. I had a great lift off on my Rumble Bee (Apogee Level 2) rocket on a K535. Then the high winds seemed to have caught it and off it went. Apogee and main deployments went well and it drifted off into a pine grove. A BIG THANK YOU to Ben and Jim for all the time they spent with me driving around to find an accessible road and then tracking the rocket to the grove of pines. I guess it's about 60ft or so off the ground. Ugh! Redundant alts as well as a bigredbee TX and my Eggfinder GPS. I could hear the alts beeping and finally got confirmation of 5977ft. man. I so wanted to sit down and watch that video tonight. Who knows, maybe one day it'll return home. For now, I get to remember a nice flight and remain so thankful the the help Ben and Jim gave me today!

I'd be remiss to forget to also thank Elaine who came to my assistance when my work box flipped off my table and upside down on the grond spilling everything!

On the good side, my daughter's Madcow Momba had an awesome flight on a G53 today. My GI Joe Lofter 2.0 had a very nice flight on an H238. And the resurrected Mega Black Max flew beautifully on a G76. Was great seeing all the folks out there today local to the area and participating on this site. Just a good day. Sad about the rocket, but sure hard to beat the folks out at battlepark. I also owe thanks to a buddy from work that took this picture today of my RumbleBee.
20161030_170827.jpg

Kevin

It was the best weather in recent memory out at battle park. I had several good flights, and seeing everyone for the first time since April was even better. Lots of new faces, and great flights.

See ya all in november

Nice warm day with some wind. Sometimes that works for you and some days, like today, not so much. I had a great lift off on my Rumble Bee (Apogee Level 2) rocket on a K535. Then the high winds seemed to have caught it and off it went. Apogee and main deployments went well and it drifted off into a pine grove. A BIG THANK YOU to Ben and Jim for all the time they spent with me driving around to find an accessible road and then tracking the rocket to the grove of pines. I guess it's about 60ft or so off the ground. Ugh! Redundant alts as well as a bigredbee TX and my Eggfinder GPS. I could hear the alts beeping and finally got confirmation of 5977ft. man. I so wanted to sit down and watch that video tonight. Who knows, maybe one day it'll return home. For now, I get to remember a nice flight and remain so thankful the the help Ben and Jim gave me today!

I'd be remiss to forget to also thank Elaine who came to my assistance when my work box flipped off my table and upside down on the grond spilling everything!

On the good side, my daughter's Madcow Momba had an awesome flight on a G53 today. My GI Joe Lofter 2.0 had a very nice flight on an H238. And the resurrected Mega Black Max flew beautifully on a G76. Was great seeing all the folks out there today local to the area and participating on this site. Just a good day. Sad about the rocket, but sure hard to beat the folks out at battlepark. I also owe thanks to a buddy from work that took this picture today of my RumbleBee.
View attachment 304207

Kevin

Kevin, more than happy to help out.
That was one beautiful flight, unfortunate outcome.
That wind shear upstairs was puzzling, the wind on the ground was one direction, above 5500 it was going the other way.
Guess that's why I keep flying low and slow...LOL :)

With a little luck maybe some winds will come through and help blow it down....hey, worked for Jeff.

Kevin, don't give up on getting your rocket back. Mine hung for 5 days in those pines but we were able to recover it. It was in different trees and much lower when we went back for it.

Keep the faith buddy!

Kevin, don't give up on getting your rocket back. Mine hung for 5 days in those pines but we were able to recover it. It was in different trees and much lower when we went back for it.

Keep the faith buddy!
Thanks
I really appreciate the vote of confidence! Was great to chat today. Sorry I didn't have more time to do so!

Kevin, more than happy to help out.
That was one beautiful flight, unfortunate outcome.
That wind shear upstairs was puzzling, the wind on the ground was one direction, above 5500 it was going the other way.
Guess that's why I keep flying low and slow...LOL :)

With a little luck maybe some winds will come through and help blow it down....hey, worked for Jeff.

If there was only a Like or Thumbs Up button I'd have clicked it here! Overall great day. Thanks again!

Good day at BattlePark again.

I got the first launch of the day off. My Big Bird, a Performer 150 from Performance Hobbies. It was on an EX motor in a 76/6000 Loki case which BurnSim put at an M1725 at 5968 Ns total impulse. It was 55 lbs on the pad and got 5500 ft. It landed about 2600 ft from the pad and was in an open field only 100 yards from the road we parked on to recover it. The main came out at 1000 ft and was inflated and everything hanging under it before it got to 900 ft. I had considered lowering the main deployment, but after hearing some of the comments from the crowd about how it had deployed much higher then needed, I will definitely lower the main deploy for the next flight.

My second flight was early afternoon and was the 35th flight of Grapeshot. Grapeshot is a 4" dia., 8' tall DD rocket with a 54mm MMT. It's flown past Mach to over 9500 ft on a CTI L935 and only to 1100 ft on an AT I211 as a high powered demo flight at the TARC Championships. It's gotten around. Today it flew on a CTI Pro 54 J250 Skidmark. It was a great flight to just under 2000 ft. and an easy recovery. I had my conversations with the dairy cows yesterday and didn't want to join some of the fliers enjoying their conversations today.

Good day at BattlePark again.

I got the first launch of the day off. My Big Bird, a Performer 150 from Performance Hobbies. It was on an EX motor in a 76/6000 Loki case which BurnSim put at an M1725 at 5968 Ns total impulse. It was 55 lbs on the pad and got 5500 ft. It landed about 2600 ft from the pad and was in an open field only 100 yards from the road we parked on to recover it. The main came out at 1000 ft and was inflated and everything hanging under it before it got to 900 ft. I had considered lowering the main deployment, but after hearing some of the comments from the crowd about how it had deployed much higher then needed, I will definitely lower the main deploy for the next flight.

My second flight was early afternoon and was the 35th flight of Grapeshot. Grapeshot is a 4" dia., 8' tall DD rocket with a 54mm MMT. It's flown past Mach to over 9500 ft on a CTI L935 and only to 1100 ft on an AT I211 as a high powered demo flight at the TARC Championships. It's gotten around. Today it flew on a CTI Pro 54 J250 Skidmark. It was a great flight to just under 2000 ft. and an easy recovery. I had my conversations with the dairy cows yesterday and didn't want to join some of the fliers enjoying their conversations today.

My Kids are still talking about that first flight! I was so glad they got to see an M today! It was awesome!

Some pictures from Saturday and Sunday . . .

30659246006_ed71112ef8_b.jpg

30062182653_a3969e3010_b.jpg

30396262250_5114ddfb0d_b.jpg

30659245866_0b43038683_b.jpg

30396262020_7faeb3c2d7_b.jpg

30659245586_27cd0f8437_b.jpg

30396261820_26d64de329_b.jpg

30659245536_0d3466cda9_b.jpg

30396261540_91a9ecd6c8_b.jpg

30659245346_e2bbbc1289_b.jpg

30659245316_c7d01b26ee_b.jpg

30659245286_bfec9dea65_b.jpg