Saucer Spool Length

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kruegon

Reaction score
I'm currently building a spool out of two circular spinning rings. How long should I make the body tube to maintain stability?

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1472871397.821922.jpg

I'd go with whatever the diameter of your rings is. Not for any specific reason, other than it is a place to start. It should stay stable under boost due to the rotation caused by the rings.

Thanks. I was more wondering how long to make it. How much distance between the two rings. Or does that even matter? This is my first spinning saucer. It's also my first spoil.

Thanks. I was more wondering how long to make it. How much distance between the two rings. Or does that even matter? This is my first spinning saucer. It's also my first spoil.

I think he was saying that the tube length should probably be around the same dimension as the diameter of the rings. Seems about right. If you build it lightweight you could get away with no recovery as it would probably helicopter down.

I would think one to two plate diameters would be about right. I seem to remember a spool with really long separation didn't work so well. I will also point out that what you will be building isn't actually a spool rocket as they rely on base drag so, even if someone knew a general guideline, it may not apply. If I had thought of this I would have tried it and, unless somebody chimed in with some convincing hand waving or experience, I would go with one plate diameter.

Thanks guys. That's what I was looking for. Easier to ask for advice than to crash through testing lol.

I'm currently building a spool out of two circular spinning rings. How long should I make the body tube to maintain stability?

View attachment 300619

As others have already posted if using both spinning rings about 1 to 1-1/4 disc diameter as the body length has usually worked out well for me in the past.

Actually if using a single spinning ring as shown. you don't need much body lenght beyond the motor tube. I did a Christmas wreath using an illuminated spinning ring the looks along the same line as your using. I have 4 blades rather then your 3. Just added some wrapping and a set of 2- MMX motor tubes 1" long.
Actually if I had this model to do over I'd cant both motor tubes about 5 degresses to get the spin rate up quicker.

Attachments

• MM 394_Christmas Holly Wreath Glittered (Lit)_12-01-13.jpg
    MM 394_Christmas Holly Wreath Glittered (Lit)_12-01-13.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 42
  • MM 394Lp01a_Christmas HollyWreath Cluster OnPad(1stFlt)_12-21-13.jpg
    MM 394Lp01a_Christmas HollyWreath Cluster OnPad(1stFlt)_12-21-13.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 35
  • MM 394Lp01b_HollyWreath LiftOff 2-mmx cluster_12-21-13.jpg
    MM 394Lp01b_HollyWreath LiftOff 2-mmx cluster_12-21-13.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
I've seen numerous spinners like the on Micro posted. It will be interesting to see how they fare with two of them separated by a bit.

I think he was saying that the tube length should probably be around the same dimension as the diameter of the rings. Seems about right. If you build it lightweight you could get away with no recovery as it would probably helicopter down.

Exactly what I meant.

This was planned with no recovery. The BT will be the body and the motor mount. Planning for use with C6 motors.

Back