Nobody doing Remote control launch vehicle ?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks great! I've never been intimidated by a Crayon rocket before.

Have you decided what you'll use to retard the flame damage?
Just park the truck so the end of the rocket leads is over an edge, flame goes down, rocket goes up, truck untouched.

Last edited:
I would worry slightly about the first millisecond or two of flight, that as the rocket ascends the gantry, that the flames & hot gasses exiting the bottom of the rocket might scorch the top of the vehicle.. Once it's far enough above the blast deflector..

Guys , long time no updates. Here is the truck, first it gets airbrushed camp, second it gets servo controlled erection gear, it appears every thing works well. Crayon rocket is a bit too big for it, I will see if I can figure out a better loading mechanism, to launch it remotely without get rubbed by the tail is truck. As you can see flame will be straight on the ground.

1480216231273.jpg

1480216241774.jpg

1480216253192.jpg

1480216266022.jpg

Wow! The paint job looks amazing!

I'm still concerned about the flame, firstly, the NAR safety code (https://www.nar.org/safety-information/model-rocket-safety-code/) requires a blast deflector ("I will use a blast deflector to prevent the motor’s exhaust from hitting the ground") and secondly, the flame will spread if it hits a flat deflector or the ground and possible singe the wheels of truck. As earlier, I recommend an angled deflector.

I think it'll work out. Heck, he could just drive over a flat deflector for launch. Looks like the lifting mechanism is being stressed, so a blast deflector mounted to it could cause it to give out. The time motor flash is near the ground should be pretty quick depending on the rocket weight.

Latest posts

Back