Samsung recalls Galaxy Note 7 over battery flaw

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think this is a prime example of pushing the Tech too far, too soon.
Replacements went from flames to melt down, not much of a fix.
This will be hard to recover from.
If I was CEO, I'd scrap the Note 7, concentrate sales on the S7, and move R&D onto the next step so they are sure it's safe to release.
I would also be looking into a chip set supplier, battery supplier, port supplier, and anyone else that I could push blame onto.
Also, as always, someone has to sacrifice their head at Sumsung.
I was watching TV earlier, new drug to battle cancer. Crap, I'd rather die of cancer than deal with the hell the side effects can cause.
The Note 7 is like that. If it doesn't bust into flames or melt down, it's a great product.

Last edited:
Samsung and the US Consumer Product Safety Commission states if you have a Note 7 to turn it off immediately!
Return to the seller for full refund, go with a different product.
"STATEMENT" released this morning. Production is shut down, indefinitely.

"INSTRUCTIONS" on how to return your Note 7.

As a side note, "MORE" on the Supreme Court Hearing...Samsung vs Apple.

Last edited:
It will be fun to see how they market the Note 8 when it comes out... "The phone that doesn't burst into flames!" If Apple was smart they'd put some kind of Kevlar sleeve around the battery and tout it as "flameproof battery protection"... a nice subtle dig.

The note 7 is dead. Samsung is cutting its losses and killed the product. There is a higher end 7S they have that has no problems. The company is in so much other "stuff" this macabre episode with ding them but not kill them. Kurt

I would not classify the S7 as higher end over the Note. The Note has the same hardware, some better. I'm keeping my Note as long as Sprint keeps it activated.

I would not classify the S7 as higher end over the Note. The Note has the same hardware, some better. I'm keeping my Note as long as Sprint keeps it activated.

Ok, I confess I don't have a smart phone anything and a $20.00 subscription flip. AT&T GoPhone I spent $100.00 for 400 minutes and never use them up in a year. If I croak, I've paid $8.33 month for access for a cellphone.
Yeah I know, AT&T. Less bars in more places but I get by.

I realize some need all the features due to their vocation but their employers are springing for the bills. I can't see spending $150.00 a month for features I don't use.

From what I hear Jim, don't charge it with the phone turned on and even then, maybe stick it outside so you don't start a fire and set off your motor stash. That would be interesting to see if providers shut off service to the devices. I don't know
if that is technically feasible although it might just take a software switch on the providers end to drop service from the Note 7's. No doubt their lawyers might tell them to shut down or their shyster friends will try to sue Sprint. Kurt

For those still holding out on turning in their Note 7, "HERE" is a deal you can't pass up.
Samsung offers $100 credit towards any other Samsung device.

There is no other device that I want. If forced, S7 or Note 5.I charge under low current while listening to my audio books. Never even gotten warm. I did get the replacement 2 weeks ago. I also have a free 256gb micro sd card coming from Samsung.

I am just offering info Jim. I pray you will NEVER have an issue with your Note 7. Currently, we don't have any cell phones. We just couldn't afford them. We can't afford to go anywhere, unless it's to get something we actually need. And then, we have to budget, clip coupons, and take a list. There is nothing we need a cell phone for. If the old 98 Ranger with 350k mile on her give out, well, that's that. No phone call is going to get it fixed. Just the good ol' Thumb will get us by.

There is no other device that I want. If forced, S7 or Note 5.I charge under low current while listening to my audio books. Never even gotten warm. I did get the replacement 2 weeks ago. I also have a free 256gb micro sd card coming from Samsung.

Looks like Samsung is going to start remotely crippling the remaining Note 7's in an effort to force people to turn them in. Apparently, about 30% of them are still out there. Also noticed when I flew last weekend that the device is now totally banned from airlines, even in checked luggage.

All the airlines do is tell you to turn it off and do not charge it on the plane per FAA.

All the airlines do is tell you to turn it off and do not charge it on the plane per FAA.

No, it's worse than that now. See this link, text copied below. Also a more detailed release from the DOT here.

October 14- WASHINGTON – The U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT), with the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and the Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA), today announced it is issuing an emergency order to ban all Samsung Galaxy Note7 smartphone devices from air transportation in the United States. Individuals who own or possess a Samsung Galaxy Note7 device may not transport the device on their person, in carry-on baggage, or in checked baggage on flights to, from, or within the United States. This prohibition includes all Samsung Galaxy Note7 devices. The phones also cannot be shipped as air cargo. The ban will be effective on Saturday, October 15, 2016, at noon ET.

Last edited:
This was the situation with the original Samsung Note 7. Once the first "replacement" (allegedly fixed) Samsung Note 7 caught fire on N422WN at the gate, it became apparent that this model phone was not safe on any airplane in any condition in any place. They then instituted the total ban on Sat 15OCT2016.

Excellent link worth repeating:

https://www.faa.gov/news/updates/?newsId=86685

This was the situation with the original Samsung Note 7. Once the first "replacement" (allegedly fixed) Samsung Note 7 caught fire on N422WN at the gate, it became apparent that this model phone was not safe on any airplane in any condition in any place. They then instituted the total ban on Sat 15OCT2016.

Excellent link worth repeating:

https://www.faa.gov/news/updates/?newsId=86685

I'm not doubting the FAA update, just saying I flew on 10/20/16 and that is what they announced at the gate & on the plane. Maybe the airline hadn't enforced the ban at the time of my flight.

Just like you may occasionally have a captain or first officer who is drunk, you may also have flight attendants who have not received the most up to date FAA warning announcements or perhaps they did and they did not read what they were given by their superiors and they continued to read the previous announcement over the PA system. Previous to the Emergency Order and Ban you would have heard the announcement that you heard. Sometimes twice on a flight.

This explains everything:
https://www.faa.gov/news/updates/media/Signed_Samsung_EO.pdf

I'm not doubting the FAA update, just saying I flew on 10/20/16 and that is what they announced at the gate & on the plane. Maybe the airline hadn't enforced the ban at the time of my flight.

Saw this today, it's the best theory I've seen so far: https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_ga...ed_by_extreme_internal_margins-news-21997.php

According to this, the issue isn't how you charge it, whether the unit gets hot or not, or even the battery itself. Samsung was too aggressive with their internal margins, and didn't leave enough room for the battery to swell, which batteries will normally do to some extent during usage. Inside the battery are negative and positive layers separated by a polymer, and when those two layers get compressed enough to touch (due to the battery not being able to swell outwards)- fire!

In other words, any charging or general usage of any kind, is a risk, no matter if it's an original or replacement device.

Such as? I have already bypassed the 60% battery update. They cannot force carriers to remove them from the networks, not in America anyway.

That will never happen in the U.S. Carriers are considered Utilities. As long as you are in current standing, they can't shut you off.

Back