Youtube Video Editing Software(?)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRAGON64

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Alright, windows 10 came with garbage video editing capability. What is a decent video editing software for around $50 that I can use for my youtube channels?

I occasionally use Lightworks. Lots of cool tools and options. There's a free version and Pro(paid) version.

Alright, windows 10 came with garbage video editing capability. What is a decent video editing software for around $50 that I can use for my youtube channels?

In the $50 range are two really good options. Both are geared toward the novice. Adobe Premiere Elements, and Sony Movie Studio Platinum. I have used both of these in the past, I went with Sony. Both are excelent and provide lots of tools and stuff for editing and posting to Youtube.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/.../16546/N/4231656271?origSearch=video software

The native Win10 editor is more than good enough for me.

I don't use this, but an R/C aircraft reviewer who does nice stuff on YouTube recommended this, so I bookmarked it. It's freeware along with other apps they offer (converters, CD ripper, etc.):

https://www.videosoftdev.com/free-video-editor

I did a great deal of investigating for user discovered bug complaints and their ease of use claims before going with this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F2BDP9K/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

There is a newer version available:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01537HQS8/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

However, you have to watch out because I don't know how many times I've read reviews where very serious users of previous versions of a particular video editor will point out that the newest version has serious issues.

From what I've found through reading many reviews, Windows video editors are notorious for innumerable bugs, mostly when run on newly released Microsoft Windows versions, I suspect because programmers are either doing tricks that aren't liked by the new OS, haven't learned and properly used the video related APIs and such of the new OS, or a combination of those factors.

Because of the HUGE variety of hardware that can be found in Windows machines, I think that many software houses that produce video editors for Windows simply release a new version without a huge amount of testing on different hardware, wait for bug complaints, then release patches... and release patches... and release patches.

This is an advantage of Apple machines where the hardware is known, but you pay more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Combine vindovs movie maker and built-in editor google.

DaVinci Resolve by Blackmagic.
Don't let people tell you it is only for colour correction. Read some up to date reviews, it is worth your time.
It is now as good as Adobe Premiere (in my opinion it is better)
And.... it is free!

I have created over 100 videos using Microsoft Movie maker, and then W10 (ala W8) came along, and all of those files no longer will pull up. The readable content are the text boxes I added, the rest of the video, including the scene change effects were wiped 'black.' So now, I am starting a new channel, one geared more for trucking, and I need a nice editor with a decent selection of effects and music capabilities...

I will be looking closely at the Sony editor listed above. My daughter wants Sony Vegas, and she says that the Sony Movie Studio was pretty good too! Thanks all for the suggestions!

I'd offer you Sony Vegas but I read that you are given only $ 50 and do not know how much is Sony :)Knowing, however, that its interface is made terribly dull and quite unpleasant.But there are thousands of possibilities that movie maker of vindovs can not dream :)

Last edited:
I am a big fan of the VideoPad suite. Try it for free. The personal use upgrade is worth the small cost to me.

+1 on this. I have VideoPad and eventually paid for the full version because I liked it so much. My 10 year old son was able to use it himself after a little bit of instruction. I absolutely love how it works and have made a half dozen movies with it.

I have created over 100 videos using Microsoft Movie maker, and then W10 (ala W8) came along, and all of those files no longer will pull up. The readable content are the text boxes I added, the rest of the video, including the scene change effects were wiped 'black.' So now, I am starting a new channel, one geared more for trucking, and I need a nice editor with a decent selection of effects and music capabilities...

I will be looking closely at the Sony editor listed above. My daughter wants Sony Vegas, and she says that the Sony Movie Studio was pretty good too! Thanks all for the suggestions!

Sony Vegas is a nice product. I do want to check out the Davinci deal. It is all about doing what you need, but having more capability is not a bad thing.

Last edited:
I really like Cyberlink Power Director 14 Ultimate. Very stable and very fast rendering.

I use Sony movie Studio and like it alot. I used to use Vegas, but the price delta and amount i use it made me step down. It's a great tool for the price IMO.

I picked up a copy of Sony Movie Studio Platinum 13, and so far it is pretty easy to use... but then, I am using a beginners guide video I found on youtube. Otherwise, yeah! Love it so far. No videos yet, but I'm working on it.

I picked up a copy of Sony Movie Studio Platinum 13, and so far it is pretty easy to use... but then, I am using a beginners guide video I found on youtube. Otherwise, yeah! Love it so far. No videos yet, but I'm working on it.

Now go download Dashware; https://www.dashware.net/ for free so you can add telemetry data from your altimeters to you video. Once you time that right in dashware, you can then pull the resulting video back into movie studio and add all the effects, music, etc so on.

Back