Attaching 20mm rail to 1010 rail

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lcorinth

Reaction score
I've got a 20mm "mini rail" that I'd like to rig up to attach to a 1010 rail. I've seen someone do this before, but I don't know what hardware he used. He basically was able to temporarily clamp the metric rail right onto the front or side of the 1010 rail for rockets with "mini buttons."

I've got a few of these, including my nearly-finished Ventris.

My first thought was to use machine screws. Whatever machine screw head would slide into a 1010 rail, I'd drill two of them through the bottom end of the metric rail, about a foot or so apart, and tighten them down with wing nuts.

I thought this would be easy. A while back, in response to a thread I'd posted, Rocketguy101 posted this great picture:

View attachment 300438

I went back to it, thinking it would show me what size screw head fits into the 1010 rail, but now that I look at it again, it only shows what size screws are captured by the 2020 and Makerbeam rail slots.

Is there a screw head that can be captured by the 1010 rail? I don't have one myself, so I can't just go to the hardware store and try and see what fits.

Alternately, can anybody suggest what kind of hardware (brackets, screws, what have you) with which I could rig up a quick-change attachment for these rails?

Thanks!

I have done some Googling, and though I have a tricky time understanding some technical stuff regarding hardware, I found this chart. I'm thinking maybe a #10 or #12 pan head machine screw might fit. Does that sound right?

I'm going off the dimensions of 1010 rail buttons in this thread.

I've got a 20mm "mini rail" that I'd like to rig up to attach to a 1010 rail. I've seen someone do this before, but I don't know what hardware he used. He basically was able to temporarily clamp the metric rail right onto the front or side of the 1010 rail for rockets with "mini buttons."

I've got a few of these, including my nearly-finished Ventris.

My first thought was to use machine screws. Whatever machine screw head would slide into a 1010 rail, I'd drill two of them through the bottom end of the metric rail, about a foot or so apart, and tighten them down with wing nuts.

I thought this would be easy. A while back, in response to a thread I'd posted, Rocketguy101 posted this great picture:

View attachment 300438

I went back to it, thinking it would show me what size screw head fits into the 1010 rail, but now that I look at it again, it only shows what size screws are captured by the 2020 and Makerbeam rail slots.

Is there a screw head that can be captured by the 1010 rail? I don't have one myself, so I can't just go to the hardware store and try and see what fits.

Alternately, can anybody suggest what kind of hardware (brackets, screws, what have you) with which I could rig up a quick-change attachment for these rails?

Thanks!

Put a set of rail buttons on the 20mm rail and slide that onto the 1010 rail. Then come up with a stop to prevent the rail from coming off easily.

Put a set of rail buttons on the 20mm rail and slide that onto the 1010 rail. Then come up with a stop to prevent the rail from coming off easily.

I'd thought of that. Any ideas for the stop? It has to be something I can attach and remove from the club rails quickly. Would a 1010 rail stop sold by one of the HPR vendors work well for this? I've never used one of those before.

I'd thought of that. Any ideas for the stop? It has to be something I can attach and remove from the club rails quickly. Would a 1010 rail stop sold by one of the HPR vendors work well for this? I've never used one of those before.

A nut and short machine screw placed in the slot and tightened on the 1010 rail would not allow the 20mm rail to come off the 1010 rail. Just so long as the screw didn't stick up above or into the slot the rocket would be travelling through.

This. Tape the rails together. Simple, effective, fast.

I'd just use hose clamps, the clamp strap will also act as a stop for the rail button, I use this to hold my 1010 rail to the stinger on my pad in fact....

Back