SD on a DD rocket. Will this work?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhkaiser

Reaction score
I wanted to launch a I280 on my kit but it was lacking in stability. Instead of adding weight to the NC I am thinking of extending the rocket body. It is a Madcow 2.6 FG DX3 and I am thinking of SD with two BT's held together with a coupler and removable rivets. Doing this gives me the ability to do SD or DD later if I choose. The only concerns I can think of are the parachute snagging on the rivets and the BP charge not being sufficient to push out the NC and parachute.

I can manage keeping the chute above the rivets but don't know about the BP charge. Ideas?

Put the bulk plates into the coupler (build it like a normal AV bay). Just put the main chute in the bottom half and use motor deploy. Hold the nose cone and the top tube with shear pins.

Adrian

Last edited:
Put the bulk plates into the coupler (build it like a normal AV bay). Just put the main chute in the bottom half and use motor deploy. Hold the nose cone in with shear pins.

Adrian

^^ This ^^

Do it all the time in testing...

Put the bulk plates into the coupler (build it like a normal AV bay). Just put the main chute in the bottom half and use motor deploy. Hold the nose cone and the top tube with shear pins.

Adrian

Didn't think of that, certinly worth considering. Thanks.

Adrian

This is how I flew my 4" Super DX3 for its cert flight. I actually did deployment at apogee with electronics and a black powder charge, I left the motor deploy with full delay as a backup to the electronic deployment. Only other thing I did was add a short shock cord between the nose cone and the upper bulk head of the AV bay, just as a safety measure.

Good luck!

Btw Cerving will be glad to hear the electronics was an eggtimer quark :wink:

Back