Is This Cool?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CORZERO

Reaction score
This entire forum seems to be dead lately. I thought I would add something new that may spark imaginations. I am also nearing completion of my L2 project and will fly it in September. I have documented the project quite thoroughly and will create a thread for it in the coming weeks.

This will be my first scratch build (discounting the fact that I have modified every other kit I have built thus far). 3FNC project for which I am acquiring parts so that I can start on it right after I certify L2 in September. I have crudely identified the parts so far used in the file and will fine tune them as I go.

Payload section will have one wrap of 2K CF and no paint for aesthetics. Booster section and nose cone will get paint. I bought a 5:1 fiberglass ogive with metal tip from Madcow. I also picked up a 98mm/75mm thrust ring from Apogee (no experience with Blue Tube and this part adds overkill confidence). Fins will be G10 with a couple/few layers of CF. No T2T. Dual deploy with only nose cone separation. Cable cutters, avionics in the nose cone, etc., etc.. I have ideas. L3200 in a 15lb vehicle equals roughly a 50:1 and dumping all 800lb's of thrust in 1 second. Again, the application of the thrust ring alleviates any concern for structural failure during boost. I will add other structural concepts as my brain contemplates the project.

The rough draft file is just the start and will be tweaked and added to in the coming days. Let me know if the concept sucks. Thank you all for your criticism, ideas and any pointers from [K'tesh with the file!].

View attachment MARK13.ork

MARK13.png

Last edited:
Wow! Supersonic cert! Very nice. Unfortunately it's gonna hit the ground almost as fast as it's coming off the rail....but I'm sure you can fix that.

For clarity, this is not my L2 project. I will create a thread for my L2 project soon. This is a new project idea which will serve as a vehicle in which I can use L2 motors I will be certified to purchase after September. My L2 vehicle is also supersonic, however. And yes, recovery has yet to be added. I literally both built this in OR and ordered $350 in parts for it this morning.

So far I have these on the way:

https://www.alwaysreadyrocketry.com/product/1-15-29mm-x-062-wall-x-48-airframe-mmt/

The above for 98mm airframe and 75mm mmt.

https://www.madcowrocketry.com/fiberglass-4-filament-wound-metal-tip-select-shape/

Above in 5:1

https://www.apogeerockets.com/Building_Supplies/Thrust_Plates/4in_75mm_Thrust_Plate

And the above with its associated flanged Aeropack retainer.

I might be a bit slow but I don't understand "thrust plates" with rockets that use 4 inch or lower commercial motors.
They're just overkill.
All they really seem to do is be "rocketry bling" that adds weight and slows you down. If you're going for speed and height, consider loosing it.

Overkill, no doubt, but it looks pretty and I don't care about the weight. With its corresponding retainer the pair was only about a hundred bucks. No big deal. My prefect waiver is only 12k. My thought was to push as close to 5100N total L2 allowable impulse and not bust through the waiver. With the L3200 I have plenty of room still before maxing out L2 impulse, so weight is not an issue. This will be my biggest build to date. I plan on having fun with this build, then I will focus on an L3 project. Something M or N impulse, big and heavy, again so as not to break the waiver.

Maybe you missed it but there has been a "summer" build off with some really cool rockets in production like the Flying V!

Back