Estes Vindicator as an RC RG

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tab28682

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I decided to join in with a Franks current design cycle and do an Estes Vindicator RC RG using Cosmic Interceptor parts. Have done a bit here and there over the last couple of weeks. Decided I had better get one done now, since Frank has caused the world supply of Cosmic Interceptors to dry up with his prolific designing and building...;)

Here are pics of the old Estes catalogue page for the Vindicator, a picture of a normal Vindicator E by John Pursley, done with his great wraps, and one with the parts slotted together. You can probably guess where I got the original plans and info from: https://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/est1367.htm

I scaled up the wings about four times the size of the wings on the BT50 based original, and scaled up the vertical tails about 2.5 times the original, using the time honored "that looks about right" method. Still need to make the dorsal extensions on the vertical tails and to make the ventral fins out of some thin styrene plastic. Will also add the "vanes" around the rear of the airframe tubing using strips of 3mm square Depron.

Looks like it will work out nicely. I got out in the yard this AM and tossed the model around with the parts taped in place to get a good idea of where the glide CG wants to be. I ended up moving the wing assemblies forward about 1/2" of my initial guess to get a slightly nose heavy glide.

Looks like the radio gear will be in the wing root area, so will have to add a small hatch on the bottom for battery and radio access.

Going to be lazy and leave it white, as much as I like the desert sand over sky blue scheme of the original model. Will give it vinyl markings much like the Interceptor.

More to come.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
I think will look great all decal'ed up! BTW, looks like they got 15 back in stock now.

Last edited:
Tom, in a few cases I've been able to mid mount the rx while building the model, and running a wire to the mmt area for the battery, by using an offset motor tube without centering rings, I was able to velcro the small battery inside the rear of the body tube next to the motor mount and not have to cut a hatch, all depends on where your CG winds up...The slight offset doesn't impact the thrust line significanly. I could also slide the receiver in from the rear past the motor tube also for access.

Just a thought.

Back