poll: best way to make PVC NC flush with airframe..?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim51

Reaction score
Hi all

I have a PVC nosecone with a base outside diameter of 56.2m, which I would like to fit to an airframe with outside diameter of 57mm.

Has any one got any proven techniques/ recommendations for materials for ensuring a smooth build up so that the NC is flush and there is no 'lip', please?

Thanks!

Are you interested in building up the tube? What material is that? If PVC, I have no idea. On paper I have put multiple, graduated wraps of paper and then filled/sanded. Not as good as turning the nose slightly. But then, my favorite is to just leave the lip. :flyingpig:

Are you interested in building up the tube? What material is that? If PVC, I have no idea. On paper I have put multiple, graduated wraps of paper and then filled/sanded. Not as good as turning the nose slightly. But then, my favorite is to just leave the lip. :flyingpig:

Thanks for the swift response! The tube is a CF wrap over 'paper' (i.e. fibre board). The tube is already wider than the NC, so I'm looking for tips on building up the portion of the NC adjacent to the shoulder.

Well, I had that backasswards. In that case I have beveled the tube slightly. Building up plastic or PVC is a different animal.

Could you cement a section of pvc to the bottom, then turn off the excess on a lathe? As a disclaimer, I have no idea if pvc cement would work well with the shear loading that the nosecone might experience.

Could you cement a section of pvc to the bottom, then turn off the excess on a lathe? As a disclaimer, I have no idea if pvc cement would work well with the shear loading that the nosecone might experience.

That's an excellent idea actually. I guess it depends if the OD of the cone matches the ID of a pipe. If the fit is good, cement would be more than strong enough. If loose?????

Back