Please allow me to introduce myself

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have come along way since I became a BAR, some 26 years ago. We didn't have social media nor instructional videos! We just, well learned! I'm not trashing social media, I'm a heavy user too, but it just seems today nobody wants to try to figure things out, they just jump on a forum and asked, what is my opinion, some of the dumbest questions. Yes, I said it. Been bothering me for years. People say "there are no stupid questions". Well, I beg to differ. I'm talking about plain common sense questions. Think about what you ask before you ask. Any yes, it's ok for the motor to extend past the mmt! Please, don't misunderstand. I'm not in any way referring to the OP. To him, welcome to the insanity!

Jim, I hear ya. I too have seen simple questions posted and while it doesn't bother me in the slightest that people post these questions it bewilders me that someone would want to wait for 24 hours for an answer instead of digging for 24 minutes and be done with it. I have been doing a lot of digging both in the forums and on youtube in hopes of getting up to speed on MPR and motor casings and the like. As far as basic model building skills go I think I am pretty good shape. There will be pearls of wisdom I will pick up here and there but I have spent some time in the past 3 or 4 years with an Xacto knife or paint brush in my hand. My hobby flickr page is https://www.flickr.com/petworthtraction

Yep, as English Lord.Best will present you videos of your flights. I have always been strange these presentations. But unconditionally sign of manners which I miss. For several months I'm here and I'm not introduced myself :)
Welcome in the rocket jungle!

Yeah....what he said....

Tom,
After hitting traffic, rain, and a bathroom break it took me 2.5 hours to get to the MDRA launch by then the rocketeers were long gone. I will try again in September I am sure.

Ahhh, that sucks. I feel your pain. I drove 4 hours from Virginia Beach Sunday, only to be on site about 2 hours and get one flight in. I did get to see the Patriot go up, though! Rain closed in about 2ish(??), and once it started it only got heavier and more determined!

Funny thing was, 1 hours south the streets were dry and it was sunny for the rest of the day.

No need, my level in rocketry is light years away from yours, there is nothing to say :) Have a nice day:)
Being as I have been at it for a few months I would hope you'd be way more experienced than me. The question is do you have your own IMDB.com page? Look at this, I have been on the forum for less than 24 hours and already I have my first troll. Ain't the Internet great?

Being as I have been at it for a few months I would hope you'd be way more experienced than me. The question is do you have your own IMDB.com page? Look at this, I have been on the forum for less than 24 hours and already I have my first troll. Ain't the Internet great?

Please give ole SaturnV a break. He is from Bulgaria and uses Google Translate to write in English. He has a wry sense of humor and means no harm. Check out his build threads to see some unusual stuff!

John, that's awesome. We'll have to talk shop when we eventually meet. I built the Estes V2 without epoxy fillets. I was told that this kit is too small/light for the added weight the fillets would add. What do you think? I plan on buying and building the Loc Precision V2 in the next few months.

I agree with that advice. I don't remember exactly where the cp falls on the Estes kit but I do know from experience that it's pretty easy to get it sideways if you load up the back end too much. I tried for a more scale look with wide fairings at the bottom. I used spackle stiffened with thin CA. A bit of a PITA to work but smoothed out nicely in the end and pretty light.

v2 fins.jpgDSC01847.jpgDSC01846.jpgDSC01845.jpg

Please give ole SaturnV a break. He is from Bulgaria and uses Google Translate to write in English. He has a wry sense of humor and means no harm. Check out his build threads to see some unusual stuff!

A big +1. Not a troll.

Here's the real V2 from the Smithsonian. Yours looks really close, samb!

attachment.php

Thanks for the photo. I'll have to find some V2 build threads. I am real happy with the way mine came out but future builds will even be better I am sure. I think next month I'll build another Estes version and try that paint scheme.

Here's the real V2 from the Smithsonian. Yours looks really close, samb!

Thanks. It's the rocket that started the Space Race.

Thanks for the photo. I'll have to find some V2 build threads. I am real happy with the way mine came out but future builds will even be better I am sure. I think next month I'll build another Estes version and try that paint scheme.

Yours looks great. You'll find some real inspiration on this forum. A wonderful V2 resource is here: www.v2rocket.com
My next one might look like this :):

v2 59.jpg

... There was a time when the only way I could build a rocket was by reading the instructions. Now, I don't even think about instructions, and would probably ignore them if I had them. ...

I'll second that. I don't bother with instructions and also often scratch build LPR + MPR rockets. About to finish scratch building a MPR/low-HPR rocket this weekend. Building is fun. Anyway, welcome back to the hobby. Enjoy the ride. Hang on to your wallet. :)

I want to see an instructionless build-off of Estes Saturn Vs. Asking question on-line is cheating.

I knew that if I came back in a day or so that someone would post that. I was too busy to post a link yesterday...

[video=youtube;vBecM3CQVD8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBecM3CQVD8[/video]

In response to the title of this thread:

"I'm a man of wealth and taste..."

BTW, welcome back to rocketry.

Мan come here culturally. Intruduce yourself. And an idiot (I) began to explain how stupid is man and how I am greater than him.Well man talk and nonsense but it is because they feel insulted.:)

Last edited:
Rocket Launch-NOVAAR
Submitted by Joe Woodford on Sun, 11/15/2015 - 3:16pm
date:
Sep 17 2016 - 10:00am - 4:00pm
Rocket Launch at Great Meadow. High Power waiver to 4,500 feet in effect
Hey Dave,
Where did ya get that info from? Saturdays mid day are tough for me being as I work the overnight. I am pretty certain I'll make the MDRA launch on 8/18.

Back