High Frontier 13 hosted Tulsa Rocketry

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to go with the forecast tomorrow morning to determine if I make the trip or not. So far looks like rain Saturday afternoon/evening continuing on all day Sunday. Since we are planning on camping onsite, this would be a no go for me. I really hope that the weather decides to change, I have been looking forward to this launch for almost a year!

... I have been looking forward to this launch for almost a year!

This is a great launch that grows each year. Good family turnout along with Scouts. I have a new and improved night rocket (Red, Bright & Blue) that I hope doesn't get rained out. We will make the 3 hour drive.

[video]https://youtu.be/z7au9Mq5uMc[/video]

Last edited:
I'll be there to level 1 (again). I certified 15 years ago and have been inactive since. I'll have most of my family with me, so there will be 9 of us! Hoping to launch my estes saturn iv again too. Boys all have projects to launch.

Here is the video taken with the lights on.

[video]https://youtu.be/OlN8Cd4QpA4[/video]

... did you fly this rocket? I need to build a night flyer for next year.

I did. For this year I added the 4 LED flashers at the top and wired the nosecone to the 2 channel controller so it flashes alternately to the LEDs.

Weather has changed, still 48 hr out but now I heard that it may move through sat night sun early morning.

The forecast from the NWS looks bleak ... If the rain doesn't shut the range down on Saturday, the wind may.

NWS.jpg

I've decided to call this one off after looking at the latest forecast. Rain and rockets don't mix...throw in camping and it's just plain miserable. I hope you all have fun and get off a few flights on Friday and Saturday.

Screenshot (1).png

I've decided to call this one off after looking at the latest forecast. Rain and rockets don't mix...throw in camping and it's just plain miserable.

True that. I am on the fence right now. I will make the final call tomorrow afternoon before the hotel cancellation deadline. I attended a NAR launch in Pueblo CO a few years ago and it was one of those "sit and wait for the rain to stop" affairs. No fun at all. If I bail on HF13, I will go to the KloudBuster October 2 day launch on 10/8-10/9.

Heck this is Oklahoma. We might have snow, we might have 100 degrees. I'm rethinking plans, but not willing to call anything quite yet.

Sorry we're your going to miss you this year Jeff. I'm going no matter what, I have range duty Sat morn. which looks like it may be the best time to fly. Oh well...Maybe I can get one or two up Friday afternoon.

Well I will be camping in my RV. Even if it is raining and no rocket go up it wont be like getting soaked in a tent.

Well I will be camping in my RV. Even if it is raining and no rocket go up it wont be like getting soaked in a tent.

Yeah, I have no less than 13 rockets prepped with motors assembled for 10 of them. I have 3 night launch rockets slathered with LEDs and fully charged LiPo's. I was planning on sending up the Terminator on a K375 dual thrust. I will be sporting a "sad face" emoticon if the dire weather predictions materialize.

Sorry we're your going to miss you this year Jeff. I'm going no matter what, I have range duty Sat morn. which looks like it may be the best time to fly. Oh well...Maybe I can get one or two up Friday afternoon.
Yeah Bill, I am truly bummed that I am going to miss this launch, it's one of my favorites.

If I bail on HF13, I will go to the KloudBuster October 2 day launch on 10/8-10/9.

Depending on when our field opens down here I may go to the October 2 day launch as well. If not I will definitely be up there for Distant Thunder in November.

Nice job by Tulsa Rocketry on High Frontier. Dealing with impending weather challenges is no fun, but they made the most out of the day Saturday. There were a bunch of nice flights and everyone had fun. The guys do an amazing job with their outreach with the support of the Pawhuska CofC.

The decision to pull up stakes and cancel for Sunday was a good one. It rained like crazy Saturday evening, overnight and Sunday morning.

As always, I'll be marking High Frontier on my 2017 calendar.

--Lance.

Thanks for the positive comments Lance. The weather forecast changed late Friday and Susan and I left EARLY Saturday morning for Pawhuska. After a 3 hour drive, we arrived shortly after the range opened. I flew 3 successful flights and had a blast. Despite the small chance of rain for Saturday, it was dry and mostly sunny. The winds came and went throughout the day. Many thanks to the club members who organized the launch, and worked tirelessly and selfishly to execute a great event in spite of Mother Nature.

"Many thanks to the club members who organized the launch, and worked tirelessly and selfishly to execute a great event in spite of Mother Nature. "

Something that was discussed among the set-up group was this: For the past couple years we all decided to come up a day early (Friday) and we all meet at the local bbq joint for lunch the mosy out to the field and set up. After setup, we have ourselfs a little "mattinee" launch for us club members.
Well from now on, ANYONE who wants to come out a day early and help setup, you get a couple extra flights in...for FREE!

This was something I haven't done in a loooong time. Only left about 10' of shock cord to the tree gods. Andrews "Miss Riley" rocket after it's flight to 15000'.
tree.jpg
I'll second the thanks for the kind words Lance. Always a pleasure to fly with the Kloudbusters.

Back