Nail polish?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MClark

Reaction score
I was being at the drug store and walking by the rack of nail polish, many great colors.
Anyone used it for on a rocket? Would have to find a base coat that it will not react with.

M

I was being at the drug store and walking by the rack of nail polish, many great colors.
Anyone used it for on a rocket? Would have to find a base coat that it will not react with.

M

Some nail polishes are high percent solids lacquers, and some are acrylics. Thin appropriately and they might work.

And if they don't work on your rockets you can always start a fashion trend. Of course, people you work with might start avoiding you. Dang!!! I should have started wearing nail polish years ago.

I have used them a few times as touch-up paints. I first found a good match for my reddish 1980's vintage Big Brute. For the life of me I have no idea what paint I could have used but I couldn't find a match. My wife actually had a polish that was almost a perfect match.

M
I've never used Nail Polish to finish a rocket. but like others have on occasion used a little for touch ups on little dings.
I have used quite a bit of "Sally Hansen - Hard as Nails" - clear nail polish while making ignitors as it's almost pure Nitrocellulous lacquer, makes an excellent overcoat dip.

I've never used Nail Polish to finish a rocket. but like others have on occasion used a little for touch ups on little dings.
I have used quite a bit of "Sally Hansen - Hard as Nails" - clear nail polish while making ignitors as it's almost pure Nitrocellulous lacquer, makes an excellent overcoat dip.

Come on? Pure nitro cellulose? Would lead to flammable fingers if you ask me without inhibitors. Good thing smoking is going out of favor. Kurt

Last edited:
It is stupid expensive if you figure what a quart would cost.
I was thinking for trim only small quantities would be needed.
And the off the shelf color variety is near limitless.
I do use auto paint for most work.

M

Last edited:
Once you figure out the price per quart for nail polish, you'll likely go for good quality auto finishes.

My wife prefers Imron....

LMAO! Good one, mate!
(FWIW-using most nail colours and a good automotive lacquer thinner works with an air brush pretty well. Do NOT use fingernail polish remover! Big box store brands are generic and don't quite work as well, either.

Last edited:
Come on? Pure nitro cellulose? Would lead to flammable fingers if you ask me without inhibitors. Good thing smoking is going out of favor. Kurt

Listen and Learn Kurt!
Once the acetone and other Solvents & Vehicles evaporate your left with Nitocellulose..that's what makes the "Polish" hard as Nails. Right from the jar it is very flammable.

As a matter of fact I use the "Hard as Nails" as a dip straight from the bottle for Micro Maxx Clustering igniters. Works like a charm. Add a little BP or Pyrodex and it's makes a quick and easy igniter dip.

Last edited:
It is stupid expensive if you figure what a quart would cost.
I was thinking for trim only small quantities would be needed.
And the off the shelf color variety is near limitless.
I do use auto paint for most work.

M

Yeah, I was being silly, sorry Mark. I was reminded of a comparison once done about "the high cost of gasoline", that compared what people pay per gallon for things like nail polish and perfume. It made gas look cheap by comparison.

Seriously, some nail polishes might work for small detail work, etc. I would just be cautious about the undercoat, as the polish often has hotter solvents that may crinkle or soften the underlying paint.

Listen and Learn Kurt!
Once the acetone and other Solvents & Vehicles evaporate your left with Nitocellulose..that's what makes the "Polish" hard as Nails. Right from the jar it is very flammable.

As a matter of fact I use the "Hard as Nails" as a dip straight from the bottle for Micro Maxx Clustering igniters. Works like a charm. Add a little BP or Pyrodex and it's makes a quick and easy igniter dip.

What is the product number of this polish?

I have had great success using nitrocellulose and methylcellulose finger nail polish to coat igniters. It adds a touch of burn time to boron.

It's a model rocket, not a Ferrari. Nail polish will work. Just use it.

Listen and Learn Kurt!

Ahhhhh, pure dry nitrocellulose lacquer will burn on its own. I've dipped igniter wires to experiment. Stuff that has inhibitors like ping pong ball lacquer burn with less vigor. Yes, you add BP, crushed sparklers (heaven forbid!) a variety of metals, oxidizers or mix'ins for thermite and inhibited NC lacquer acts as a binder and will burn with gusto. It "burns with gusto" 'cause of the stuff you add to it. That's why PP ball lacquer is the base for a "poor man's" igniter lacquer.
Kurt

Back