Any Experiences with 54mm CF Mongoose at Mach 2+?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manixFan

Not a rocket scientist
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
All,

One of my BALLS rockets is a CF 54mm Mongoose that is built using the epoxy that comes with the kit. There is no additional layup on the fins or fillets. It's my first rocket of this nature - all my others have been CF laminated over either G10 or plywood and followed by tip-to-tip for rockets that will see +Mach.

The rocket completely ready to fly (sans motor) with trackers, dual deploy, chutes, etc. is 1530 grams or 3.4 lbs.

My first flight will be on a CTI L265 6XL motor. I'm pretty comfortable with that flight. But for the second flight I want to use the CTI L935 Imax motor. That sims to well over Mach 2. Does anyone here have experience with a similar flight on a 54mm CF Mongoose that was built stock? I'm not looking for speculation but actual flight experience on success or failure of the same kit at Mach 2+ speeds. I've read that the epoxy that comes with the kit is extremely good but I'm wondering if the fins have actually survived those speeds without additional reinforcement. I haven't yet done a fin flutter analysis but I also wanted real-world experiences as well.

Thanks for any info you can share,

Tony

Last edited:
All,

One of my BALLS rockets is a CF 54mm Mongoose that is built using the epoxy that comes with the kit. There is no additional layup on the fins or fillets. It's my first rocket of this nature - all my others have been CF laminated over either G10 or plywood and followed by tip-to-tip for rockets that will see +Mach.

The rocket completely ready to fly (sans motor) with trackers, dual deploy, chutes, etc. is 1530 grams or 3.4 lbs.

My first flight will be on a CTI L265 6XL motor. I'm pretty comfortable with that flight. But for the second flight I want to use the CTI L935 Imax motor. That sims to well over Mach 2. Does anyone here have experience with a similar flight on a 54mm CF Mongoose that was built stock? I'm not looking for speculation but actual flight experience on success or failure of the same kit at Mach 2+ speeds. I've read that the epoxy that comes with the kit is extremely good but I'm wondering if the fins have actually survived those speeds without additional reinforcement. I haven't yet done a fin flutter analysis but I also wanted real-world experiences as well.

Thanks for any info you can share,

Tony

Flew my half Mongoose on a 54-2550 L850S Kosdon clone to 17,042' at 1,431mph without issue. This was an older thick wall kit without the payload.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?56210-URRG-August-3-amp-4
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?58570-URRG-September-28-amp-29

I have NOT flown Gooses....but have flown my SpaceCowboy 54 minimum with same glue holding fins on. [3.25 lbs sans motor]
No other re-enforcement. On L-935. No issues, you will be fine.

Even a couple of 3in minimum's with same glue and L-small M's....M-2.3 ish no issues.

As long as fins are aligned correctly, and proper sized fillets, matters not what kit it is, the fins should stay on.[ assuming they are high performance leading edge angles]

Great info guys, thanks for your help. Read through your posts Dan and glad you got your Mongoose back. And Jim your rocket sounds really close to mine but a bit lighter. My fins were held in place with the jig supplied by Rocketry Warehouse so they are pretty straight. They are swept pretty well per a Mach+ planform. I hand't planned on flying it on the Imax motor when I built it so I was a little concerned about the fins.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Tony.

Happy to report that the Mongoose survived Mach 2.3 on an CTI L935. Hit about 23,500' and landed in great shape. Also flew on an L265 but that was easy compared to the L935.

Tony

Kicked my Mongoose 54 up on a 6XL CTI L1030 RL a few months ago. Built stock. Fins tacked on with Rocketpoxy and fillets made with the provided ProLine. This was also my first MD CF rocket. Flew great; Recovered intact; Tickled Mach 2.
As long as it's a solid build I wouldn't expect any problems.

-brant

Back