Solar Eclipse 2017 "TOTAL"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary Byrum

Overstable By Design
Reaction score
Looks like some of us, completely cross the nation, are going to get a solar show we probably won't forget. I realize this event is a year away, but for any of you extreme planners, you might like to have some advance notice.

I stumbled across this while mindlessly cruising the internet today and am quite pleased to know I won't be very far from the "TOTAL" event. Greenville SC is as good a spot as any for me this time around and it's 1.5 hours (or so) away. Last one I experienced was in the late 60's and it was just dark enough for the street lights to come on. This time I should be able to make the drive, even though it's on a Monday afternoon.

Xavier Jubier has developed an interactive Google Map that gives really great details of the event and which cities will be in the "total" range and the time of event. "Partial" information is also covered, starting in Oregon and ending at Charleston SC. Be sure to read the info in the link below as it will explain how to convert the Universal time to your own local time.

https://eclipse2017.org/eclipse2017_main.htm

Now I just gotta score some of those nifty solar glasses.

Any groups getting together in the middle part of the country? Anybody chart flying fields vs. local total?

I tried to get some camping set up a year back, but the telescope guys had it all locked up already.

Was hoping to launch during the eclipse, the Orangeburg field was in the path of totality. Unfortunately, the new field is not.

Was hoping to launch during the eclipse, the Orangeburg field was in the path of totality. Unfortunately, the new field is not.

I saw that. Looks like Camden is on the hairy edge, but the field in Rembert is definitely in the "dark" zone. Take a second look. Still, the whole solar show is on a Monday.

I can tell you that the hotels in the Idaho and Wyoming eclipse path are already booked up. They started booking up a year ago. I'm working on finding something for myself now and it is not easy. If you want to make hotel provisions along the eclipse path now is the time to start looking.

I can imagine the price gouging for last minute bookings too. Fortunately, I can just make it a day visit. Take a picnic lunch, find a local park and chill out till it's over.

Eclipse mania is going to grip the nation in 2017 -- this will be the most widely visible eclipse in the continental US in the lifetime of the vast majority of the populace.

The last total solar eclipse of this magnitude in North America was 1970, I believe.

Last edited:
This is way cool! I read about it on Reddit a few days ago but the links to the interactive maps above are really neat.

My parent live in north Georgia so I'll drive the 2 hours to their house (from north Atlanta) for sure. The totality will last just over 2 minutes from their driveway.

Unfortunately for some people in this country that day there will be bad weather and they'll miss it all. I call good weather first!

[video]https://youtu.be/n9xOl8qZ7tc[/video]

There's another hum-dinger eclipse coming in April 2024. After that it's 2045 until the next substantial one in the US.

There's a funny eclipse in 2079 which will clip the East Coast (Philly, NY, Boston) but little else of North America.

On my 141st birthday in 2099, there will be a great Midwestern eclipse originating in Canada then cutting SE across Minneapolis-St. Paul, Milwaukee, Detroit, Cleveland, Columbus, then cutting through WV and Va. Before heading out to the Atlantic. It'll pass right over my grave.

Last edited:
Pretty wild. I might have to see if I can get the wife and kiddies to go down there. Maybe we could get a TRF group rate on a hotel?

Looks like some of us, completely cross the nation, are going to get a solar show we probably won't forget. I realize this event is a year away, but for any of you extreme planners, you might like to have some advance notice.

I stumbled across this while mindlessly cruising the internet today and am quite pleased to know I won't be very far from the "TOTAL" event. Greenville SC is as good a spot as any for me this time around and it's 1.5 hours (or so) away. Last one I experienced was in the late 60's and it was just dark enough for the street lights to come on. This time I should be able to make the drive, even though it's on a Monday afternoon.

Xavier Jubier has developed an interactive Google Map that gives really great details of the event and which cities will be in the "total" range and the time of event. "Partial" information is also covered, starting in Oregon and ending at Charleston SC. Be sure to read the info in the link below as it will explain how to convert the Universal time to your own local time.

https://eclipse2017.org/eclipse2017_main.htm

Now I just gotta score some of those nifty solar glasses.
Nice maps and other info here:

https://www.greatamericaneclipse.com/

Back