Quest q2g2 igniters....WTF !

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sodmeister

Reaction score
Why is so hard to get these things now(being in Canada ,I need to source them from the USA), is this an Aerotech thing or what ??

Last time I bought them.....Sirius Rocketry ...and bought him out ,but this was a couple years ago.Now I`m down to a couple dozen ,and since getting into building scratch cluster stuff ,I`m getting worried :y:

I love these things ,super reliable and great for dual deploy, don`t think I`ve had any duds yet.But now most places are out of stock, even Quest`s/Aerotech`s site.

Being in Canada, I get stuff shipped to my US postal address and pick them up ,usually worth the 45 minute drive (dollar sucks though !!)

WHERE ARE THEY !!!! :facepalm:

Sorry if this has been covered before ,but I have not been on board recently.

Cheers

Paul T

They've been back ordered for a long while now. Pretty sure since the beginning of this year and maybe even late last year. It's a supply chain issue the last I heard, which Aerotech has been working to resolve.

They've been back ordered for a long while now. Pretty sure since the beginning of this year and maybe even late last year. It's a supply chain issue the last I heard, which Aerotech has been working to resolve.

Oh boy, that`s not good !!

Thanks for the info ! Guess I`ll keep on looking and checking sites for stock as time goes on, but I imagine they would go fast.

Paul T

I make my own. Is is easy and safe.

That being said: I don't use them for dual deployment.

You probably bought the last of them. They had to redo the formula do to ATF regulations. Then the factory that made them in China had an explosion. For some reason the mfg of them in the US has stalled. Your best bet currently is to use e-matches or get the rocketflite clusterfire igniter kit.

You probably bought the last of them. They had to redo the formula do to ATF regulations. Then the factory that made them in China had an explosion. For some reason the mfg of them in the US has stalled. Your best bet currently is to use e-matches or get the rocketflite clusterfire igniter kit.

Ematches would probably not fit into the throats/nozzles (using Estes black powder motors of all sizes.....except those stupid E-9 firecrackers LOL) which made the Quest igniters perfect and extremely reliable.For dual deploy ,I have other proven options.

Perhaps I will experiment with my nichrome wire stash and pyro dip ,but I will miss those Q2s ,almost too good to be true !!!

Cheerrs

Paul T

I do not think that Q2G2s have a nichrome bridge wire. I think they are made with a conductive dip.

I bought a bunch of them when BuyRocketMotors.com actually had them last, but apparently they're a new formula. They don't light as vigorously as the old "blue wire" ones... I had them in a 38 Special for the deployments, and the drogue igniter fizzed without lighting the pyrogen. Fortunately the main went off, but it was like at 150'... zipped the FG payload bay and tore the main chute to shreds. The rocket itself survived OK otherwise. I won't be using Q2G2's anymore for deployments.

Why is so hard to get these things now(being in Canada ,I need to source them from the USA), is this an Aerotech thing or what ??

Last time I bought them.....Sirius Rocketry ...and bought him out ,but this was a couple years ago.Now I`m down to a couple dozen ,and since getting into building scratch cluster stuff ,I`m getting worried :y:

I love these things ,super reliable and great for dual deploy, don`t think I`ve had any duds yet.But now most places are out of stock, even Quest`s/Aerotech`s site.

Being in Canada, I get stuff shipped to my US postal address and pick them up ,usually worth the 45 minute drive (dollar sucks though !!)

WHERE ARE THEY !!!! :facepalm:

Sorry if this has been covered before ,but I have not been on board recently.

Cheers

Paul T

https://www.csrocketry.com/rocket-motors/aerotech-rocketry/igniters/q2g2-igniter-3-6-pack.html

That is what I thought until someone told me to crack one open and look. It has a bridge wire. A coiled bridge wire, like a small teeny lamp.

I do not think that Q2G2s have a nichrome bridge wire. I think they are made with a conductive dip.

That is what I thought until someone told me to crack one open and look. It has a bridge wire. A coiled bridge wire, like a small teeny lamp.

Ok. I have taken them apart. I must have broke it.

I make them without a bridge wire. I will try to do a build thread in October when I go home.

I bought a bunch of them when BuyRocketMotors.com actually had them last, but apparently they're a new formula. They don't light as vigorously as the old "blue wire" ones... I had them in a 38 Special for the deployments, and the drogue igniter fizzed without lighting the pyrogen. Fortunately the main went off, but it was like at 150'... zipped the FG payload bay and tore the main chute to shreds. The rocket itself survived OK otherwise. I won't be using Q2G2's anymore for deployments.

The new batch Q2G2's are simply terrible. They do not have the red straw and have a much smaller head with a duller finish, unlike the nice round shiny heads on the old style. Do not use the new batch in clusters. I threw my remaining ones in the junk box with the Estes STARTERS!

Good thing I still have several hundred packets of Estes Igniters with pyrogen and almost 200 Q2G2 igniters.

I still have a dozen or two of the original Q2G2 igniters. They are terrific for Estes BP clusters and igniting 24 mm second stage motors (perhaps with a little extra pyrogen) even if they composite motors. I bought my last batch of Q2G2's at Apogee. I noticed that yesterday that Apogee doesn't list them for sale anymore. They do have a short Q2G2 tutorial that states that they can be used in series for a cluster rather than in parallel. I did not listen to the tutorial completely, but I plan to go back and check it out. I think others may have also used this idea for putting them in series. It would be a shame if the original formulation is gone.

Last edited:
Word on the street is that new production remains a work in progress :(.

I sold most of my Q2G2s (2" or whatever the short version was). Mostly locals that liked them. I had them as an e-match backup, but didn't need them for that. I never had issues clustering up to 4 with the old solar igniters. There is another thread covering that technique and the flashing the pan / blister packs for larger clusters. Just a convenience IMO. You can do fine without them.

I still have a dozen or two of the original Q2G2 igniters. They are terrific for Estes BP clusters and igniting 24 mm second stage motors (perhaps with a little extra pyrogen) even if they composite motors. I bought my last batch of Q2G2's at Apogee. I noticed that yesterday that Apogee doesn't list them for sale anymore. They do have a short Q2G2 tutorial that states that they can be used in series for a cluster rather than in parallel. I did not listen to the tutorial completely, but I plan to go back and check it out. I think others may have also used this idea for putting them in series. It would be a shame if the original formulation is gone.

You can put three of the old ones in series - but if you watch the video the center one is a bit late igniting the motor.

Back