Blast deflector source

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We used to use ceramic tiles but found they broke too easily. One launch every one we set out got broken.

Used discs from a plow are probably the sturdiest deflectors I've seen. I've seen heavy diamond plate bent by N motors and certainly P motors. Circular discs seem to work best.

Tony

I've never thought about the thrust breaking the tiles or bending metal. But it makes perfect sense. For LPR or MPR, the tile should work great, or saw blades, pizza pans or whatever.

We use 4" x 4" ceramic tile for our LPR pads. They run about $0.20 each. I use standard tile adhesive to glue them to 3/8" or 1/2" plywood, what ever size scrap pieces I have. A 1/4" dia. ceramic tile drill to put a hole in the middle and they last at least a season or two.

They are still usable if the tile cracks, and the wood itself will hold up to BP motors for quite a while if the ceramic comes off. In fact, we used just the 1/2" plywood as a blast deflector on the LPR pads for half a season. It got pretty scorched and gouged from the A - E BP motors, but it never caught fire and it did protect the pad.

terracotta plant saucers work, but should have a plywood backer. one of the easier methods of making deflectors is concrete and a soda bottle.
Rex

I have half a dozen disc blades that I just replaced on a disc at work. 18" or 20" in diameter. Only issue is they're heavy, shipping would be a bit on the expensive side. Unless you wanted to get them at a launch: Bong in WI, MWP in IL or something like that. The other problem is they look like this:
View attachment 300271

A little bitey along the edge. But I guarantee you won't break them (well, except the customer DID break them, which is why I had to replace them). Rockets won't break them... :wink:

Adrian

Last edited:
I have half a dozen disc blades that I just replaced on a disc at work. 18" or 20" in diameter. Only issue is they're heavy, shipping would be a bit on the expensive side. Unless you wanted to get them at a launch: Bong in WI, MWP in IL or something like that. The other problem is they look like this:
View attachment 300271

A little bitey along the edge. But I guarantee you won't break them (well, except the customer DID break them, which is why I had to replace them). Rockets won't break them... :wink:

Adrian

If anybody's headed from you to Airfest, I would super love to bribe you both for one or possibly two ( I am greedy )

:)

If anybody's headed from you to Airfest, I would super love to bribe you both for one or possibly two ( I am greedy )

:)

Well there is this guy called Wildman (have you ever heard of him? :cool: ) headed there, but I can't get the discs from where they're at to him before he leaves. Sorry... I'll keep a few and we'll try to figure something out...

Adrian

Back