Model Rocket Launch in New Mazda Commercial

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lcorinth

Reaction score
Saw this on TV last night.

[video=youtube;b1Pj0RjoqVs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1Pj0RjoqVs[/video]

The warning "Do not attempt" is silly, but it's cool to see model rocketry pop up on TV now and again.

[Edit] Also, the recovery was clearly faked. Chute is out, but nose cone is still on.

Still, though...

There was another thread about this same commercial, and iirc the rocket was best guessed to be an Estes Riptide. The earlier thread was either last spring or even earlier.

There was another thread about this same commercial, and iirc the rocket was best guessed to be an Estes Riptide. The earlier thread was either last spring or even earlier.

Hmm. Sorry for the repost. I searched "Mazda" and didn't find this, so I thought it was new. I saw it at a bar last night while playing trivia.

My teammates obviously rolled their eyes when I yelled "Hey, they're launching rockets!" My teammates are not rocket folk.

I tried to locate it as well, but the search function is horrible from my phone, and I wont have my computer back online until Friday when when my IP comes to connect the cable at our new home.

I don't think the recovery is faked, it is just a rear deploy.

I don't think the recovery is faked, it is just a rear deploy.

You make a good point. I hadn't thought of that. That's possible.

But even so, for the purposes of shooting video, it's still probably faked, even if it is a rear deploy rocket. They have to set up the shot to get a good one, and probably dropped it from a crane when the director called "action." It would be too time consuming and unpredictable to launch and try to capture a successful recovery for multiple takes of a commercial shoot, when the rocket could drift out of shot, and most non-rocket folk wouldn't understand why the nose cone is hanging off. To the layman, a whole rocket probably looks better on screen. So, perhaps they chose a rear-eject rocket to keep the nose intact and better "tell the story."

Something else may have been faked... Notice the peculiar launch rod? Specifically the puff of air that seems to come out of it after liftoff?

Everything you see on TV and in the movies is specifically designed according to the specifications of the Production Designer. Doesn't have to work or even look right. Just has to look like he/she wants it to.

When I worked on the movie Her Alibi, we built a two story barn on an estate. Why? Because they liked the estate, but needed a barn for the script. The art department made it look a hundred years old. It had no foundation, but the bottom was covered with fake stone to make it look like it did.

I used to like people's reactions where they would go over and touch the stone and discover it "gave". After the filming, they tore it down.

There's also a lot of "cheating." Often the female star will be standing on an apple box to appear closer in height to the male star. And in close-ups, they will move props and scenery around to get just the right angle on the actors' faces. No one ever notices.

The other fun part (having lived in Vancouver, where a lot of TV Shows & Movies are made) is, as you drive around, you start noticing little things.. Like that cop car driving beside you actually says 'NYPD'. Or that certain street names suddenly change & change back after a week or two.. And building signs change.. The Public library sign suddenly is the "Universal Exports" building..

I remember watching Jackie Chan's "Rumble in the Bronx" and thinking: "Man, for NY City, there sure are a lot of mountains.."

Yeah, man! The very same Her Alibi features Tom Seleck driving into what is clearly Baltimore (at least, no one would mistake it for New York), when he is supposed to be driving into NYC. Where's the Statue of Liberty? Where's the Empire State Building? Where's the Chrysler Building? Why is the skyline so short? :facepalm:

Here's my Hollywood story: I was an extra in the straight-to-video cheerleading movie sequel, Bring It On 4: In It To Win It. Spent a long, awful, hot day hanging out in a tent, and occasionally went inside the sound stage to participate in the opening sequence as part of the audience. After a few takes, it dawned on me - though there were lots of acrobatic flips and tosses into the air, the stars of the movie didn't actually do any of that. They stayed planted on the ground. I figured it was a combination of it being too much an insurance risk for them to be injured, and that the actors couldn't actually do any of the really gymnastic cheerleading stuff.

Also, they were horrible. But I think I could just make myself out in the background on the YouTube clip I found of the movie. I was appalled that even as barely more than a pixel, I still looked fat.

If we started a poll on how many rocketeers are overweight, we'd break the Internet. :wink:

If we started a poll on how many rocketeers are overweight, we'd break the Internet. :wink:

Right now Im the heaviest Ive ever been. 6' tall at 232 lbs. Doc says Im obese and need to lose weight. DUH! Easier said than done.

I know this is now off topic now however, I've seen weight gain/ loss threads on other forums. Is there one here?

Saw this on TV last night.

[video=youtube;b1Pj0RjoqVs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1Pj0RjoqVs[/video]

The warning "Do not attempt" is silly, but it's cool to see model rocketry pop up on TV now and again.

[Edit] Also, the recovery was clearly faked. Chute is out, but nose cone is still on.

Still, though...

If the lawyers were serious about safety they would have put "Do not attempt" when the people were driving in the car!!! Driving in cars is far more dangerous than model rocketry.

The wife said tonight she was a Honda commercial tonight with a number of rockets in it. She said it looked like drag race. Back when the movie Spy Kids was made we worked with them on a chute for one part of the movie.They did all kind of strange things.

The wife said tonight she was a Honda commercial tonight with a number of rockets in it. She said it looked like drag race. Back when the movie Spy Kids was made we worked with them on a chute for one part of the movie.They did all kind of strange things.

Someone posted some pics of it on the NAR FB page. Can't find the commercial online. It's for the Ridgeline.

Every YouTube Honda Ridgeline video I click on has a Ford ad playing before it.

Someone posted some pics of it on the NAR FB page. Can't find the commercial online. It's for the Ridgeline.

Every YouTube Honda Ridgeline video I click on has a Ford ad playing before it.

Is this it?

[video=youtube;LuUYieifXIU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuUYieifXIU[/video]

Is this it?

[video=youtube;LuUYieifXIU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuUYieifXIU[/video]

YES! I saw that one earlier, but didn't watch till the end. That's awesome.

Now we just need a rocketry TV show on ESPN or Discovery or something. More people need to know about this.

[video=youtube;8ubF61ZcEoc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ubF61ZcEoc[/video]
Do not see well what is rocket.Igniter for chute is cool:)

Last edited:
Hmm. Sorry for the repost. I searched "Mazda" and didn't find this, so I thought it was new. I saw it at a bar last night while playing trivia.

My teammates obviously rolled their eyes when I yelled "Hey, they're launching rockets!" My teammates are not rocket folk.

I know that feeling lol

Back