Open Rocket issue with new Win10 and new Java V8 101

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Handeman

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I upgraded to Win10 a while back and opened OpenRocket to make sure it opened. It opened just fine and I closed it and haven't used it since.

The other day I upgraded Java to the latest V8 update 101.

Now when I use OpenRocket, everytime I use a pull down menu on any page, the windows get all messed up and start displaying the pulldown and window info in the wrong places. It is like it looses control of where the window graphics should go on the screen.

Anyone else have this issue? Is it an OpenRocket, Java, or Win10 issue?

Thanks...

Capture.jpg

Last edited:
I am running win10 (1511) and the latest version of java(32bit) and have not yet seen that problem. which version of win 10 are you running? (type 'winver' into your search box and hit enter)
Rex

I just gave it a try. Works fine on my computer with the same setup (Win 10 1607 64bit, Java 8 101).

I am running win10 (1511) and the latest version of java(32bit) and have not yet seen that problem. which version of win 10 are you running? (type 'winver' into your search box and hit enter)
Rex

I'm running Win 10 1511 OS Build 10586.545 With Java version 8 update 101 and Open rocket 15.03

that is what I was running(w/o problems)*, it sounds to me like a driver or java problem, at a guess I would say it is a windows video glitch little hard to pin down both win10 and java recently got updated(windows last Tuesday). someone with a better knowledge of windows etc. than I will have to help.
*just updated to win10 ann. and OR appears to still work.
Rex

Windows 10 very much likes to use the Win 10 video drivers. What type of video card do you have? I would be tempted to figure that out and install the latest oem drivers for your card.

Windows 10 very much likes to use the Win 10 video drivers. What type of video card do you have? I would be tempted to figure that out and install the latest oem drivers for your card.

That's a good idea. The card is old and I never updated after upgrading. I'll give it a shot.

Thanks...

That's a good idea. The card is old and I never updated after upgrading. I'll give it a shot.

Thanks...

Turns out I already have the latest and greatest driver for my video card, an AMD Radeon HD 5000 series.
Since this problem only happens with OpenRocket, I'm suspecting it's an OR or Java issue. And I'm beginning to doubt it's in Java.

It could well be. Have you tried removing Java entirely, rebooting the system, and reinstalling the Java clean?

It could well be. Have you tried removing Java entirely, rebooting the system, and reinstalling the Java clean?

Not until you mentioned it, but that didn't work either.
I don't know if it's tied to the pull down windows or the mouse. The problem starts when I use any pulldown menu, including the menus at the top of the screen. When the mouse is moved off the menu, that's when everything goes crazy.
I checked my mouse and it's Win10 compatible and doesn't require any manufacturer drivers, the manufacturers site says to use the Win10 drivers for the mouse.

I also tried an old version of Open Rocket 14.11 that worked just fine with Win7 and the previous Java. It is having the same issue as 15.03

Guess the next step is to try an older version of Java

This is a bit of a long shot, but try setting a global Windows environment variable named J2D_D3D and set the value to false. Then try running OR again.

Alternatively, if you run OR from the command line this will do the same thing (note that this syntax assumes that java.exe is on your Path, and that your current working directory contains the OR jar file): java -Dsun.java2d.d3d=false -jar OpenRocket-15.03.jar

Doug

This is a bit of a long shot, but try setting a global Windows environment variable named J2D_D3D and set the value to false. Then try running OR again.

Alternatively, if you run OR from the command line this will do the same thing (note that this syntax assumes that java.exe is on your Path, and that your current working directory contains the OR jar file): java -Dsun.java2d.d3d=false -jar OpenRocket-15.03.jar

Doug

Thanks!!!!!! That worked!!!!! I set the system variable and everything is now working. No more pulldown/video issue!

What exactly is that variable for? It does something for Java, but whatever it was. It worked!

Thanks...

Doug

I was having this issue as well on my Win 10 computer so I just used my laptop for OR. I'll have to give this a try as well. Thanks!

Okay, just found this in search results. After my parents getting me a new Windows 10 machine after the 8 year old Vista job died in September I'm just now getting around to getting Open Rocket in this thing.
And looking at the above, screw it, my health is too big a mess for all that rigamarole.

What I've been doing since last August is using a shortcut on the desktop with this as the command: java -Dsun.java2d.d3d=false -jar OpenRocket-15.03.jar, working directory as the location of the jar file. That's it.

Works great.

I also, in another related thread, just posted links to my packaged versions of OR 15.03. These versions do not depend on a system installation of Java. They haven't failed me yet; have a look.

Back