First Time with MPR

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is a very impressive photo! If you are posting images like that to your flickr page I want to be following you!!

My third MPR flight, a Ventris on a G53-FJ. Not sure why it came off the pad at an angle, but it flew straight up and landed only about 30 yards away. Great flight. Very exciting.

Ventris_second_flight.jpg

Looks great! I love the Ventris.

Have you started looking into altimeters, like the Jolly Logic Altimeter 3 or an Eggtimer Quantum? That's the next step.....(Sorry to be an enabler.)

Have you started looking into altimeters, like the Jolly Logic Altimeter 3 or an Eggtimer Quantum? That's the next step.....(Sorry to be an enabler.)

I have not, and thanks for the detailed suggestion(specific models), that helps a lot. I'll check them it out. I did wonder how high it went. Thrustcurve says 1,890ft. I have trouble believing that. It did go out of sight though, and was a over a minute to land, so it must have gone quite high.

Looks great! I love the Ventris.

And if you do add the extra weight of electronics and such, you should consider a stronger motor.
Just flew one setup for main chute deployment on a G118: Don't blink (and be darn sure the fins are on strong)

And if you do add the extra weight of electronics and such, you should consider a stronger motor.
Just flew one setup for main chute deployment on a G118: Don't blink (and be darn sure the fins are on strong)

I'm not sure how necessary that really is - just an altitude-only altimeter weighs barely anything.

On altimeters, you can't really beat the PerfectFlite Firefly, IMHO - $25, up to 100K ft +/- 1ft, fits in a BT-20... The Jolly Logic ones are wonderful, but expensive.

Of course, I've never done dual deploy, just altitude tracking. For DD you need something fancier.

The firefly is great when you only need altitude and max speed. Can fit it in anywhere except a Mosquito.

The firefly is great when you only need altitude and max speed. Can fit it in anywhere except a Mosquito.

What about setting it up for launch? I watched a video from Apogee and it seemed to trip him up a little. And counting out the blinks looks a bit arduous. But still the price and weight look great.

What about setting it up for launch? I watched a video from Apogee and it seemed to trip him up a little. And counting out the blinks looks a bit arduous. But still the price and weight look great.

It's pretty simple, just have something narrow handy to press the tiny button. I have a short loop of 220# kevlar string going through the holes on one side to which I attached a small carabiner. Takes just a few seconds to reset it and clip it on to something. Takes longer to count out the blinks, which is the only downside.

It's pretty simple, just have something narrow handy to press the tiny button. I have a short loop of 220# kevlar string going through the holes on one side to which I attached a small carabiner. Takes just a few seconds to reset it and clip it on to something. Takes longer to count out the blinks, which is the only downside.

I just push it with my fingernail... A thin object might be easier though.

Back