First Time with MPR

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnycarlos

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I'm new to MPR and these forums. Built many an Estes LPR when I was young and have built a few for my son recently. I've decided to up my rocketry skills and try MPR. I really, really wanted to get a Mega Der Red Max since it's so impressively massive, but it's pricey for a first timer. When I saw the sale price for an Argent and Ventris, I could not look past that and decided to get them both as a more practical first time experience. I also want to try reloadables since the motor costs are so much higher now. Based on what I read, I decided to order an Aerotech 29/40-120 as it will work with these two models without any modification. I sure hope anyways, information is harder to come by. Anyways, what would be a good propellant kit for my first few flights?

Any insights appreciated.

Also saw the sale price of the Cosmic Interceptor and the Photon Probe and couldn't resist adding them to the soon-to-be fleet(arsenal?).

Thanks!

John

For E's I go with the single-use E15 or E30 as they are borderline Fs with 40N and with most bang-for-the-buck E motor. I get them in 3-packs for $23CDN

The 29/40-120 is great for big Fs and the G64!

The DMS G80-14A NBT has the most newtons-per-dollar for mid power at ~$0.14/N

You are on the right track. I got 3 Partizons and 2 Scions with the Leviathan fin can tubes to make 2 stretch Leviathans. The Estes Pro II builders kits are awesome values. I'm going to burn G's, H's and maybe an I in some of these.

Partizon thread:
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?135094-Yep-another-Partizon-build-thread

Stretch Leviathan is almost done at this point. Just need to finish the stretch part and paint. All epoxy on this one. Looking solid.

I don't have Aerotech hardware, so I can't advise on good motors for your case. But if you have just one set of hardware, you might want some singl-use motors too so you can get a few more flights in without having to build motors in the field. For PSII builder kits, the Aerotech EconoJet F motors work really well, and they are affordable and ship without hazmat fees. There are four different propellant types to choose from. The Argent will keep at or under 1,000 feet on these motors, and the Ventris should go higher. Welcome to MPR!

Welcome! This is just how I started out and it is a taunting invite to HPR...the hook sunk deep in me. With my Argent I have launched on both F52's and G53's with spectacular launches...I think we are setting up a drag race this coming weekend with a few Argents! The 29/40-120 is perfect for these...you may end up getting a couple more casings just so you have a few ready.

Tracy Ramsey

Have you ever tried ThrustCurve.org? Go there, enter your rocket dimensions, and run a motor simulation. You'll get a good idea of what motors work, where you'll need to set the delay, etc. Careful, though -- it's addicting. :wink:

g76g! No 24 or 29 mm load comes as close to maxing out the no-hazmat non-cert category.

Wave goodbye :)

There are only four F single use in 29mm that ships non HAZMAT. But you are asking about the 29/40-120 case. All of the F loads for that case requires HAZMAT, unless the vendors I checked made a mistake.

My first medium power flight was with the AT F42T, blue thunder propellant, and I was sorely unimpressed, just a puff, a hiss and a little smoke. It was the only F without HAZMAT I could get with the punch to get my Wildman Sport up. But any of the White, Blackjack, or Fast Blackjack loads for that case would be good, if you like roar and smoke that is.
Send one up on a E white or blackjack for a nice low flight so you can watch the entire flight up close. Then let'r rip with an F.

I have both of those kits but haven't built them. And I have a Partizon built but never flown.

To give you an idea of what they look like, my avatar picture is my Wildman Sport on a G53FJ in the 40-120 case.

Mikey D

Thanks for the advice, everyone, much appreciated. I'm finding the motor selection arduous. It'll fly with one motor but not the other even though the "letter" is higher, and such.
ThrustCurve.org seems promising but it's daunting trying to find a matching engine on a seller's website. And whether they're referencing RMS or single-use(are they the same in terms of thrust characteristics?), let alone finding it in Blackjack or what not. Anyways, I just want it to work, I ended up ordering a few of these G53-5Js. Let me know if I've made a mistake.

I'm excited though. I'll get this motor stuff figured out soon enough. I've started building. Trying to upload a pic but the pop up just hangs.

G53 in a MDRM is sketchy. Thrust Curve says not enough speed off the rail. Be sure to use a long rail on a calm day. If you try to launch on that motor in a string breeze, you might get a sideways trajectory.

For SU, I recommend G75, G77, G78, G80.

The G53 should work great for the Ventris and Argent though, lighter rockets than the MDRM.

If you end up getting the MDRM and want to still use the same case, +1 on the G76g. Initial thrust is great and you can't beat the Mojave Green color. They can be a little tricky to light sometimes. Be sure to sand the inside of the slot before assembly.

Finally got my first MPR up in the air today! On a G53-5FJ. Attaching a screen grab taken from a drone...

ArgentFromDrone.jpg

Wow! What a great photo. Looks like you guys have a nice big field, too.

Awesome photo! I've gotten some of my favorite launch photos off FJ motors.
If you launch the G76 make sure your mid build is up to par. She puts out a lot of thrust off the pad.
I jumped over 3k Saturday on one. Glad I had tracking powder inside!

Thanks everyone. I'm still flying high from that launch. It was awesome!

Regarding cameras, I have a Möbius Action cam for my RC planes. Can I just tape it on or is that crazy talk?

Awesome photo! I've gotten some of my favorite launch photos off FJ motors.
If you launch the G76 make sure your mid build is up to par. She puts out a lot of thrust off the pad.
I jumped over 3k Saturday on one. Glad I had tracking powder inside!
awesome! I taught her how to use rocket poxy with this one, leaving off the rear cr and building internal fillets. I've no doubt its strong, may a little too strong, but she learned alot.

Thanks everyone. I'm still flying high from that launch. It was awesome!

Regarding cameras, I have a Möbius Action cam for my RC planes. Can I just tape it on or is that crazy talk?
nope, not crazy. I used electrical tape on the big daddy. Just a housing on my high powers.

If you end up getting the MDRM and want to still use the same case, +1 on the G76g. Initial thrust is great and you can't beat the Mojave Green color. They can be a little tricky to light sometimes. Be sure to sand the inside of the slot before assembly.

+1 they are tricky to light! I burnt two igniters in one rocket before I took apart the motor, picked apart the upper inside grain a tad and it finally lit.
~~rocket went unstable with a camera. bummed out i tell you what after all that for a circus flight. errrg.
~on one of two G76 launches saturday I popped an igniter, picked the inside, lit up on point. well worth it.
~bring an extra 3 pack of first fires or the like if using a mojave green 76.

For the reload case (29/40-120) I like both the G53FJ and G76G. The smoke of the G53 makes for a nice tracer trail and the Green is just cool. I see you are in Davis... there's lots of us in the area. :) Hopefully we'll be launching at Gibson Ranch after the first rains. https://www.sargrocket.org/

And for my second MPR experience, the Ventris. On a G53FJ again. G76G's have been ordered.

I didn't realize the decals were optional with these models so I went with my own scheme.

No winds this morning. Looks like a fine day...

SecondMPR_Ventris.jpg

Back