The science

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jared185

Reaction score
Hi guys,
So I've been launching low power estes models up until now and just bought my first hpr to do lvl 1. I've always been interested in rockets and love to launch them but never had time to study rocket science due to full time student dad and in nursing. Now however I have time and want to study as much as possible question is were do I start. Is there any good online resources to teach me the math and science involved. I've seen several books all at or above 100.00 and I don't want to pay that much being a student.

One of the first places to start is the HPR resources on the NAR website. The information regarding the L2 test is particularly useful:

https://www.nar.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/HP-question-pool.pdf

I would also recommend getting a copy of openrocket for your computer and start studying models- why does this rocket sim out higher than this other rocket, on the same motor- things like that.

Are you in an area where there is a club nearby? If you go to a club launch, you'll probably find people are happy to answer any question, even if you think it's stupid.

There is a club but it is 3 hours away from my house I live in eastern KY. But I missed the last launch due to work next one isn't for a couple months I'm trying to find a club closer to my house so I can go more often but no luck as of yet

What particular part of rocket science are you interested in? In a typical high power rocket, you have the following science fields:

• Aerodynamics - the science sub-branch of fluid/gas dynamics that deals with the motion of air around solid objects
  • Materials science and structural analysis - This is broken out even further depending on what your interested in. For example, Composites and composite layup is practically it's own field of study.
  • Avionics - Combination of electrical engineering and computer science.
  • Propulsion - Combines chemistry, gas dynamics, and physics.

Also, what level of reference do you want? Most of these fields have practical layman's references all the way up to post doc level texts. How deep do you want to go?

The Wright Stuff Rocketeers is in Dayton, OH and we meet every Tuesday night at the eRockets facility from 6 to 8:30PM to build rockets. Not sure how far that is from you, but you are welcome at any of our meetings/build sessions . We have several members who are L3 in NAR and a fair number who are L1 or L2. We have coached a ton of people in getting their L1 and L2.

We have a low power field that we use all year round just a few miles away and launch about every three weeks. Our high power field (10,000 foot waiver) is a bit further away and is only available once the crops are out of the field. Launches are scheduled about every three weeks, but always check the website for cancellations due to weather and field conditions. For anyone interested in joining our club the annual dues are $20, but if you are a member of NAR it is only $10. We do not charge launch fees, so the annual membership fee is the only cost. You can join our club through the eRockets site or pay in person at a launch or meeting. All rocketeers are welcome.

Here is the link to our web page which contains info on our meetings/build sessions and our launch schedule: https://www.torcrocketry.org/about-us.html

I was up in Dayton (3 hour drive) today actually and thanks for the invite I'll stop by when I get a chance I was gonna stop by erockets up there to buy a loc iv but didn't make it in time before closing so I ended up getting the mega red der max estes kit from hobbytown which I had been dying to get. Batmite and graduator thanks for the info I'll be buying both both books

Back