Drago EX

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That nosecone can be fully empty.

Could be....but is also a good place to put a tracker...which is my preferred use.
Also spanning the chute with the break point is not wise in my opinion, which drives the deployment point to the Ebay.
Really just prefer a "proper" length chute bay.
This is a perennial problem with kits trying to cut costs.
That and the need to buy a second coupler to make the motor section anti-zipper.

Fred, I am not saying it is impossible, but I have not seen fwg tubes be zippered. I am fully a proponent of the anti zipper design in phenolic and cardboard rockets. I was originally going to go anti zipper and then did not with fwg rockets. I do not regret this.

As to a 24" upper in a four inch airframe. The effective length for recovery gear is likely 15-16". This plenty if you are efficient on packing your parachute. In my Wildman Extreme, in that space I can fit 30' Kevlar harness, a 60 Skyangle, and nomex easily. If you cannot fit a chute this size I would suggest examining you parachute packing technique.

This new rocket is significantly lighter than the original extreme due to lighter tubing- any chute needed can fit easily.

Since this is such a good deal, had to get one... L3 here I come. Now all I gotta do it find some TAPs, write up the paperwork, do a little building... oh yeah, and fly the thing too.

Mark - I've seen PLENTY of FWFG tubes zippered....

At 8.5 pounds dry (from first post) plus at least 5 pounds for a big 75mm, you need a chute that can return something in the 12-15 pound range.
I can pack a chute -- prefer (have many) Rocketman chutes -- not the smallest to pack.

Don't really intend to debate how I want to use these parts.....
Just want to get parts I need instead of adding to the "stray parts" box which is already overflowing with the usual too-small motor mounts and whatnot.

Fred, I am not saying it is impossible, but I have not seen fwg tubes be zippered. I am fully a proponent of the anti zipper design in phenolic and cardboard rockets. I was originally going to go anti zipper and then did not with fwg rockets. I do not regret this.

As to a 24" upper in a four inch airframe. The effective length for recovery gear is likely 15-16". This plenty if you are efficient on packing your parachute. In my Wildman Extreme, in that space I can fit 30' Kevlar harness, a 60 Skyangle, and nomex easily. If you cannot fit a chute this size I would suggest examining you parachute packing technique.

This new rocket is significantly lighter than the original extreme due to lighter tubing- any chute needed can fit easily.

Got a 5" zippered FWFG tube in my shop; used as a painful reminder of what can and will go wrong.

All I can say is WOW, the response to this rocket has been wonderful. You all have cleaned me out of 4" tubes and almost all of the 3/16 G10.
We have enough to fill all of the orders already in the system but if you order one now there will be a short wait.
We have talked to our manufacture and have more being rushed through the system and will hopefully have it in time for Airfest.

Thank You

Real DD, FWFG, nice fat fins..... all good directions to go/maintain. Looking pretty slick doesn't hurt.

Unboxed my Drago EX yesterday (that I picked up from Tim at AirFest) to give the tubes and parts a bath. I was pleasantly surprised to see a candy apply red nose cone (not the black one shown in the photos) with the new stepped aluminum tip. The nosecone looks like a 3:1 VK versus the 4:1 VK. I did a dry fit in the yard with the tube wet (to bring out the color) and I think this will be on heckuva good looking bird !!!

So Jeff is one of the Drago's where the custom color chute is going?

Yes Gary. My Drago (54mm) and Drago Mini are both black and neon green. Wanted to go with something different for Drago 4XL so I decided black and dark green. Not sure yet on colors for Drago 5 (except it will have black).

Finished my Drago 4XL this weekend. Waiting for good weather to paint and apply decals. Pictures will be posted then. Meanwhile it's on to Drago 5.

Back