Midwest Power 14

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunately my schedule changed, and I wasn't able to stay at the launch as long as I would have liked (left early this morning), but I got 5 great flights in. Thanks to Jason, Steve, and all the volunteers for a great launch!

What a fabulous launch--kudos to Jason, Steve, Adrian, Erik and all the QRCS crew!

I'll second that - I was In the longest line on Saturday and still only waited like 20 minutes with plenty of entertainment during that time! Great job on the launch guys, thx for serving all weekend and thank you to those that worked your shift. My first MWP and the weather was awesome, altitude and speed personal bests this weekend for many . 15880 Ns burned this weekend just on my flights

Since Gus maybe to modest to post , I will. Gus & Sabrina's "Scooter & Red Dog" scooted to over 1200 mph on an L3200 to L2375 2-stage, pretty nutty and so cool to watch that process unfold for a perfectly executed flight. Maybe we can start a Go Fund me account for a GPS tracker for Gus :). Just kidding boss

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1478471112.404286.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1478471279.549104.jpg

And "Green Eggs and SCRAM" 2-stager broom stick scrammed to over 12,000'
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1478471159.271409.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1478471311.171729.jpg

Great to meet so many people from the forums Kurt, Brad Wilson, Adrian, Sabrina and Family, djs Glen, M Walsh, etc

Thank you Dennis from Louisville finding my tracker out of my ZLOC Magnum

Congrats to all the certifications, so many of them. Cheryl on her L2, Connie Cash her L2, Richard Cash's grandson on his L2 were just a few that I was able to watch.

What an amazing weekend!!
I'll be compiling data from the flight cards over the coming days, so check back for a data dump at some point (it may take me awhile!!).
Hopefully by Thanksgiving, I'll have a write-up done and submitted to Rockets magazine. I'll keep everyone posted.
Thanks to all the people who launched rockets this weekend. It was an honor to serve y'all! I witnessed some of the coolest flights I've ever seen... And some of the most thrilling failures. I hope the rocket gods saw fit to bless everyone with successful recoveries.
Thanks for the great fun.
Thanks especially to Jason, Steve, Grandma Rosie's, Tim and Jackie. Special thanks to Teddy and his wife at OneBadHawk; is great to see you guys, and thanks for the treats you left in my car!
Thanks to Sather for a late night philosophy fest and that G106 skiddy so I could redeem my very underwhelming night flight.
Thanks to my bunkmate Adrian for tolerating my youthful exuberance all weekend.
Thanks to Terry and Dr. Reece for the good times at the LCO table. I'm already looking forward to Mini MWP and next year's MWP.
Thanks to all the volunteers and pad techs. Russ, you're the best pad tech ever!
Thanks to the RSO volunteers for keeping us all safe. Seriously. Sometimes the flyers really really really benefit from your sharp eyes.
Thanks, most of all, to all the great people that came out to fly rockets on the best 3 day launch I've ever been to. You make our club possible, and I'm glad to have met each and every one of you!
... Finally, thanks Glen and Roberta. It was good to have a small part of my family there when my family couldn't be there. Much love.

... Finally, thanks Glen and Roberta. It was good to have a small part of my family there when my family couldn't be there. Much love.

You say that now, but I pooped in your range box when you weren't looking.

What an absolutely perfect weekend for flying. Lots of great people, lots of great flights.
Got 6000ft in my Wildman DD today and 9100ft:eyepop: in my Maddog yesterday. Walking distance for both. Highest flight so far in my Maddog has been 4600ft.
Thanks to everyone. Jason, Steve, Tim, Jackie, all the volunteers and the awesome food vender. Love the Grilled cheese/barbeque. If I missed someone, I'm sorry. What a great club this is. Had a few people, new the launch, comment on how well the launch was going. That's good to hear.
MWP is over:cry:, MWP 2017 hurry up and get here:clap:.

John Anderson

Last edited:
I will add my thanks to all the people who made Midwest Power the place to be this weekend. Thank-you to Tim and Jackie. Good to see all of you.

Thanks to everyone who made this weekend possible! What a fantastic weekend of rocket launching. We couldn't have asked for better weather. I've got 1000 photos that my wife (and kids) took to sort through and I'll get the good ones posted soon, but I just want to post one neat looking photo now...

2W8iz8Pl.jpg

I've attended every MWP and I don't recall ever having perfect weather all three days. In November, no less! Thank you to everyone who volunteered and helped us put on another great launch.

Here's a few shots from my quadcopter.

A couple from Friday morning
DJI_0003.jpg

DJI_0008.jpg

Steve and Manny's N flight recovery
DJI_0039.jpg

Some random shots I thought were neat
DJI_0050.jpg

DJI_0060.jpg

DJI_0065.jpg

The flight line on Saturday afternoon
DJI_0062.jpg

The old corn crib and shed near the launch site
DJI_0072.jpg

DJI_0075.jpg

A pair on the wire
DJI_0082.jpg

'Farm Truck' Chuck

Last edited:
Here are some pictures that I took. Not sure who the owners are but if anyone wants the originals you can PM me.

DSC_0085.jpgDSC_0119.jpgDSC_0121.jpgDSC_0125.jpgDSC_0157.jpgDSC_0158.jpg

Thanks to everyone who made this weekend possible! What a fantastic weekend of rocket launching. We couldn't have asked for better weather. I've got 1000 photos that my wife (and kids) took to sort through and I'll get the good ones posted soon, but I just want to post one neat looking photo now...

2W8iz8Pl.jpg

Feelin' for Eric Burgess.....good looking Bruiser that just wasn't treating him well for his Cert 2 attempt. Get 'em next time, bud!

Any idea of general location, Gus?

Sorry for getting back so late Mike, if I got it right..he said to the south/southwest.
Apologize for not a more positive direction but, this weekend was whirlwind of non stop action.

Let it be known Connie Cash of Brookston Indiana completed not only a good written test but, a successful flight portion to achieve her TRA L-2!

Congratulations Connie!
(and, thanks for always bringing me LARGE Chocolate Frostys :p at our Indiana Rocketry launches!)
View attachment 304835

I DID see Jakes launch but, never had the chance to sign him off...IF he still needs a signature...I can take care of that.

I took TOO long at the away cell today- My bad.:sigh:

Echoing the comments already made...Midwest Power has been a major highlight of the year for the last 13 years....missed MWP1:sad: This year had to be one of the best EVER. Best people, best flights, best weather. Just a superior job all around. A huge heartfelt THANK YOU to Griffin, Mad Bomber, Eric CZ, Adrian, Tim, Jackie, all those I missed and all the volunteers. WOW, just an outstanding launch!

Thank you so very much for letting us come out and play in your playground...awesome job on a very successful MWP14!!!!:cheers::clap::handshake:

Shape Shifter found by farmer...
Anyone?

That's mine from last year. I never thought I would see it again.
Thanks to the landowner for returning it. I'm will try to do a post mortem on it an see if it can be repaired or if it will be used for parts.

IMG_7588.jpg

Thanks to all for a great MWP. Two personal bests for me in two birds - Last Call on a L1040 to 12,747', and my WAC Corporal (pictured above) on a Loki Research M3464 to 9,100'. That was one hot ride! I haven't pulled the data off the RRC3 yet but hope to tonight. I'm really glad I picked up that LCD reader over the summer for the Missileworks gear!

Great launch, great people. I really enjoyed the close proximity of everyone to the flight line unlike last year. That was tough. Field was great -- dried out just in time. I know some got stuck near the bottom of the hill but they got out OK.

Mom had an AWESOME Level 2 Certification flight . She flew her 2.6" Wildman Darkstar on a 38mm AeroTech Consumer Aerospace DMS J-425. This was motor eject with no delay adjustment. (the stock 14 second delay was perfect based on the sim). She used a 9" Top Flight Recovery "drogue" with the 45" Main @ 500 ft using a Jolly Logic Chute release. We picked up a new 3/16" "OneBadHawk" harness for this flight. Altitude was a bit over a mile. She now holds the SAGER FAMILY RECORD for highest altitude flown on a single motor. Mom did L1 last year at Midwest Power 13 with this SAME rocket!

14955844_10205661253930903_3278512864583709906_n.jpg

Last edited:
This was my first attendance to a regional launch. I must say I was very impressed. Kudos to the volunteers who ran it very well. I contribute two photos, my Wildman JR on a I280 reaching my personal best at 5941ft. Unfortunately it had a tangled chute and came down unseen. I looked for three hours Friday and did not find it. I stayed longer than intended Saturday because it was too tempting to watch all the fun. Good thing I did as my rocket was located. And a big thank you to whoever it was who found it.

Second photo is one of the two on pad Cato's I witnessed. Sorry don't have info on who or what...

6C0A4654.jpg6C0A4952.jpg

A few photos...let's start with some L3 Certs! Congrats to the following on their successful Certifications, welcome to L3! In chronological sequence; all on Saturday.

Nick Adams, 6" QCC Explorer, AT M1939W

On the pad:

N741_zpszknqi4wn.jpg

Coming to life!

N754_zpsgvafdoqi.jpg

Climbing higher....

N755_zpst6rhwu7y.jpg

...And recovering perfectly! Well done, Nick!

N764_zpseuatimb7.jpg

Kyle Bruer, 4" Split Decision, AT M1500G

On the way to the pad with team in tow:

K824a_zps2dvkhaeh.jpg

On the pad awaiting action:

K825_zps9dprdpt6.jpg

Getting moving on the Mojave Green:

K829_zpsnm3s4kef.jpg

Climbing higher:

K830_zpsmomtqvzy.jpg

And recovering beautifully to the North:

K838_zpsj1qdmgfm.jpg

Well done, Kyle; great flight and recovery!!!!:cool:

Chelsea Maulsby, 4" Extended Punisher, AT M1550R

On the pad, special Father/Daughter moment tweaking launch angle and listening to beeping devices. Poppy Red and Lovely Lavender!:cool:

C850_zpspfnmvj4o.jpg

Ready for the LCO's call, parked next to a sweet Arcas and Kittel's 4" screamer:

C878_zpsig8lmrb6.jpg

Starting off right....looking good, Chelsea!!!

C879_zps7ksxcsyn.jpg

Still going up...spitting a casting tube near burnout.

C880_zpsrsafj1db.jpg

I lost track of the Punisher EXT after burnout, but saw it in good shape post flight. Awesome job Chelsea...thanks for letting watch your most excellent L3 Cert!!!!

Eric Bergschultz, 4" Drago EX, AT M1297W

Fellow Wisconsinite, local flyer, and friend Eric B put together the 4" Drago in preparation for his L3 attempt at MWP14.

Basking in the sun pre-flight...

E903_zpsxoia1juh.jpg

I was positioned funny for this flight, so the lighting is off. Neverthless, the M1297W didn't wait for me to reposition myself, so the White Lightning comes to life!

E905_zpsz8wiutql.jpg

Camera had trouble re-focusing after it caught some sky, but here she is mid burn:

E906_zpss6nlabry.jpg

...and still cookin':

E907_zpsgzxy6huz.jpg

Another great flight...recovered to the South of the range. Congrats, Eric!!!!

Congrats to all Cert flights, thank you to those that allowed me to part of the process....'twas an honor! More photos to come as time permits....

-Eric-

Quick post as I scramble to clean up and put things away before leaving tomorrow for work. (Vote in morning, then leave country for a week. Miss all the riots and looting. Check.)

Thanks to all for the best Midwest Power ever. Well-organized and run, with the added benefit of unbelievable November weather. (Good call on the date, Jason! Gonna be a tough act to follow.) Congrats to my two NAR Level 3 certifications... Dan Crank and Michal Pekala. A few photos from the weekend...

IMGP1643_2.jpg

IMGP1688.jpg

IMGP1739.jpg

IMGP1758.jpg

IMGP1858.jpg

IMGP1916.jpg

IMGP1945.jpg

IMGP1988.jpg

IMGP2031.jpg

MWP 14 is in the books and I am really pleased how well it went. The weather was stunning and made for a large volume of flights. It sure seemed that everyone that attended had a genuinely good time. Thank you again to each and every person that volunteered their time to make this launch happen!

I took a lot of video that needs to be sorted through, and posted... in time... be patient please...

I took a lot of video that needs to be sorted through, and posted... in time... be patient please...

Justin- thanks again for taking video of the launches. I know it's kind of a thankless, unpaid job for you, but I really appreciate it.

After the drag race, my wife came up to me and said "I think the Dark Matter" is my new favorite motor. I told her I had an I327DM in my range box that she could fly if she wants :) Not this time, but maybe another launch.

Miki and I want to thank all who made MWP 14 possible. Jason you and your crew did a very fine job running the launch. We feel it was run just as good as any of the many LDRSs we have been to. Can't wait to see the flight numbers from Eric when he gets the added up.

See you all soon

I was driving through after a business trip, so I stopped by Friday around 1pm. Even though I couldn't bring any of my rockets, I still had fun watching the launches for a few hours. It was nice to meet up and chat with some of you. Hopefully, I'll make the next one and bring rockets to fly.

The power lines sure seemed to be a rocket magnet. I saw three hang up there in just a few hours. One came down wo/a chute and almost clocked the RSO in the head near the vendors. o_O

Can't wait for next year. Thanks for organizing this event.

Let it be known Connie Cash of Brookston Indiana completed not only a good written test but, a successful flight portion to achieve her TRA L-2!

Congratulations Connie!
(and, thanks for always bringing me LARGE Chocolate Frostys :p at our Indiana Rocketry launches!)
View attachment 304835

I DID see Jakes launch but, never had the chance to sign him off...IF he still needs a signature...I can take care of that.

I took TOO long at the away cell today- My bad.:sigh:

Thanks for watching Jake's flight Gus. But we had Dr. David sign his paper work.

Just to let you know, Grandma Connie flew her Wildman Jr. on a CTI J354 to 7740 feet.
And how high did Grandson Jake get, also flying a Wildman Jr. on a CTI J354?

6849 feet.

Go Granny, Go Granny, Go Granny GO!

Thanks for watching Jake's flight Gus. But we had Dr. David sign his paper work.

Just to let you know, Grandma Connie flew her Wildman Jr. on a CTI J354 to 7740 feet.
And how high did Grandson Jake get, also flying a Wildman Jr. on a CTI J354?

6849 feet.

Go Granny, Go Granny, Go Granny GO!

Those are quite the L2 flights, in style! Was glad to be able to see both! Congrats Connie and Jake!

What an incredible event! After 12 years (for me) it just gets better and, better every year...:D
I would like to thank- Tim and, Jackie Lehr of Wildman Hobbies...Jason Griffin, Steve Pauling, Adrian Butler, Eric Czzzzzzz....wah, "Farm Truck" Chuck AND, all the volunteers who made the event run so well.
Even if I don't know or mention your name...YOUR efforts were appreciated! :D

The lines were long but, the action went fast and, everyone got their flights in quickly. The food served by "Grandma Rosie's Sweet Treats" was top notch... :p

To ALL the people who choose me as their TAP, a humble thank you! (and, everyone succeeded in stepping up their licenses.) Great job! ;)

Thank you to the Sager family for letting me pass some experience onto the "Wildchild"...On Sunday our team collaboration produced a 29-29mm Two Stage flight to 12,300' and, "The Schoolbus" Two Stage known as Scooter and Red Dog cranked out 14,800'! Special recognition is noted for Nick Adams, Scott Storey, Dave Kittel and, Drew Sabotta in their recovery help...:eek:

Watch out...NEXT year I'm putting my name down for LCO duty...you've been warned! :point:

"Rock the mic o Rock the MIC!" :marshmallow:

I was the proud owner of the flaming Bruiser in post #427. I will say, if I'm going to blow up a rocket it might as well look cool :). As I justified to my wife, to set a good example to my children of never giving up, I already have the replacement parts ordered from Wildman.... Level 2 will be in my future, but it wasn't in the cards this weekend.

Seriously, though - I am grateful for all the help from Jason, Eric, Erik, Scott, and others who's names I'm sorry to say I've forgotten. I appreciate all the advice, black powder gift, and communal brains to think through the rebuild for the second flight. It was definitely a great time and looking forward to the next one already.

Eric Burgess
Flaming Bruiser

Last edited:
Back