Midwest Power 14

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All of you shut up before you get my thread shut down!!!

We will just start a NEW thread...:p It'll be up to a 1000 "hits" in 24 hours... I guar-ran-tee! :)

We ARE The Chicago Rocket Mafia (and, friends!) We don't die, we multiply...came here too fly and, terrorize!

:D Hi!
:D :D Nice field! :D:D
:D:D:D We came here to FLY! :D:D:D
:D:D:D:D Who brought the Twinkies? :D:D:D:D

We're JUST starting... Still like four weeks till "kickoff!" :yawn:

Sorry Eric, I had to delete my last post...I mistakenly insulted the wrong entity....
Had Adrian on my mind for some reason-

Apologize for the mixup. :rolleyes:

Just dragged out the WAC to make sure my newest acquisition fit well.... Can't wait for MWP!

WAC likes to eat M1315's... Now it's time for a little kick in the pants!

14618701_10101896898547145_1622359245_o.jpg

Your other question? I'm thinking no....but, I have pee'd in the field many times behind my pickup truck. Damn kidneys are shot...:blush:

Sorry but I have to correct you on this. As someone living with End Stage Renal Disease, if your kidneys are shot you wouldn't be peeing at all. Don't mean to high jack this thread. Back to MWP. 🚀

Jason, take control of this thread man!!!!

:lol:

Hi! My names Gus and, I'll be flying TWO, two stage rockets, an Aerotech Mirage, watching over FOUR Tripoli L-3 attempts, ONE Tripoli L-2 attempt and, prepping someone for her Tripoli Jr. Cert! :D

Plus, i like toast! Namely a good Rye Toast....:p

Better?

No joke!!

BACK TO ROCKETS!!

who's flying in the Demon drag race? Let's see some racers!

No joke!!

BACK TO ROCKETS!!

who's flying in the Demon drag race? Let's see some racers!

I'm in. The original Demon 98 sporting matching StickerShock decals. Gorgeous rocket, flown several times now. Looking forward to kicking everyone's rear end in that drag race.
Notice, Jason, the Demon has 3 (only 3!) Fins...

1475805765901.jpg

Just finished up my Demonic AV-bay. 2 altimeters
1 GPS
3 LiPo batteries.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1475808709.737163.jpgImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1475808718.134324.jpg

I do like that black on top and bottom.

The decals on the rocket look pretty slick too.

Dixie,

Did you paint the black or is that all just gloss??

Dixie,

Did you paint the black or is that all just gloss??

Yes, it is painted with the CzTeacherMan's recommended black primer top and bottom and then a couple coats of Future for the gloss. Custom decals produced for me by Stickershock23.

Am I a bad person if I'm not in the demon drag race?

I will be flying my 2 stage vindicator (if i can build a full 2 stager from pieces in the next few weeks), as well as my 2.6" darkstar, and my 4" punisher, assuming I can get that built as well. Maybe my Wildman saab sport on an I327DM, assuming I can get the motor case to fit (it's a very short rocket).

I will be flying my 2 stage vindicator (if i can build a full 2 stager from pieces in the next few weeks), as well as my 2.6" darkstar, and my 4" punisher, assuming I can get that built as well. Maybe my Wildman saab sport on an I327DM, assuming I can get the motor case to fit (it's a very short rocket).

No,, You're not a bad person...
you are a good person if you put up a completely successful 2 stage high power flight...

Teddy

Glen,

Give me a call about your 2 stager. All 2 stage flights have to be pre-approved.

Sorry but I have to correct you on this. As someone living with End Stage Renal Disease, if your kidneys are shot you wouldn't be peeing at all. Don't mean to high jack this thread. Back to MWP. ��

I have humbly been schooled...:bangpan:

Consider it a bad choice of wording...We Truck Drivers confuse "Overactive Bladder" with Kidneys due to the extreme up and, down movements we endure.
Almost 3 million miles of up and, down. :horse:

Big prostate or interstitial cystitis......or drinks too much coffee or other fluids. ESRD don't pee and fill up with edema except in very rare instances. Kurt

Some good points to check here Kurt...

Let me check that *prostate thingy* real quick.
:surprised: WHOOOOOOOOOA!

I'm back, everything is A-O-K.......:sigh: I'll go out on a limb here and, say that maybe cutting back on all the water and, soft drinks i ingest may fix the issue. ;)

"One of these days, i'm going to change my evil ways...one of the days....yeah one of these days....Guess there's nothing more i can do but, Ride on....Ride on....I'm gonna Ride on......"

3 million miles up and down? Whooooeeee! You must have some pretty bad calluses where the sun don't shine!:wink::blush:

Getting back to rockets. This link will show MWP on the map: https://aprs.fi/#!mt=roadmap&z=11&call=a/QCRS&timerange=3600&tail=3600

Go over and click "show all" and weather stations in Princeton, Walnut and Arlington will show up on the map. One might have to change "show last" time selector but relatively recent local weather conditions can be seen.

If any Ham Fliers are going to be there, some of them might be running mobile APRS radios in their vehicles on the 2m 144.390 frequency and one might see some callsign icons on the MWP flying site if they can monitor using smartphones onsite. No, this won't show and APRS tracked rockets unless they were flying the 2 meter Beeline APRS tracker on 144.390, Byonics stuff or the Sainsonic AP510. Problem is the Ham radio APRS Nazis would get spastic seeing packets digipeated once every 5 seconds via Rf though I believe there is a command one could put in their tracker to indicate to the digipeater to gate the positions to the internet only and not re-transmit over the air on 144.390Mhz.

The gist of the above is that anybody with internet access could follow another fliers rocket flight if they were flying a 2 meter APRS tracker in the rocket. The rocket would be picked up by the W9ZHB digipeater in Princeton and gated to the internet so those could watch it live from their smart phones. I suspect one could see positions down to 50' above ground level. 2 meters propagates pretty nicely.

Heck, one of these days we should try it with one of my units. A fellow posted to a survey here he loves flying with the AP510. I don't have a rocket large enough for one yet. Of course a Kenwood D72A or any other APRS H/T could receive the signal
locally. Kurt Savegnago

Just finished up my Demonic AV-bay. 2 altimeters
1 GPS
3 LiPo batteries.

View attachment 302857View attachment 302859

Looks nice but listen, make sure you take that ebay, button it up with that tracker operating and be sure you get a range check that is to your satisfaction. If you can hoist it up in the air a bit to simulate a descending rocket at say 20 feet or higher up and have a clear range to get a foot print test, you will save yourself a very sickening feeling when you don't get anything back after your expected apogee. You could have some very serious regrets if your flight is completely sight unseen except since this is a major launch, someone else might stumble into your downed rocket if you don't receive any packets on descent. I've had that experience twice when I was beginning with
APRS trackers. It's not a nice feeling. Especially when you lose a rocket with all that hardware in it. I'd hate to see that happen to you.

If the X-bee is powerful enough, it could over come the paralleling metal that is in your ebay. That's a radio mortal sin. Look at Vern's manual for the Telemetry Pro tracker otherwise known as "Kate" in this pdf: https://www.multitronix.com/uploads/3...ual_rev3.1.pdf

The EggFinder User Guide on page 7: https://www.eggtimerrocketry.com/atta...ide_B4d(1).pdf

Whatever you do, test it first. If it doesn't give you the range you need, you'll either have to fly a lower powered motor or modify your antenna to a bulkhead mount.

Others may post and say they fly it this way but if they aren't pushing the hardware to the limits they may have nominal results. If you want to squeeze every bit of range you can out of the system, you should shoot for
an optimal setup.

Oh, one other thing. Put bare contained ematches on all the channels. Fire up all the electronics and set the rocket up. Let is sit for 30 to 60 minutes with the tracker transmitting. If your altimeters don't recycle, shut down or blow the matches, you'll be in a great position for flight success (as long as you receive the positions). The Raven is resistant to Rf and I think the StratologgerCF is pretty decent too. Had a friend who did a 2 watt dog tracker that locked down two Adept 22's leading to a ballistic flight.

If someone has flown that same installation as you and tells you they had success, you're in a good position the electronics will fly together nicely. Been there and done that too with an Rf tracker and an ancient P6K altimeter. Pretty nasty
deployment on ascent on a subsonic flight in a 4" cardboard rocket. Zippered down to the forward centering ring. Also had a recovery deployment on the pad another time. The P6K stopped beeping and took me a second to realize Oh! Expletive deleted!
Just had time to step away and have the apogee blow. Tried to make it to the upper bay and get the key in but main blew before I got there. That was embarrassing! Good Luck and hope your flight is successful. You'll absolutely be ecstatic walking right up to the rocket with no muss or fuss.

Kurt Savegnago

Last edited:
Wow!!!

That's a hell of a bunch of advise. I welcome it all buuuuuuut...I've flown this set up to 25k' and it works like a champ.

Besides, I always fly with a ComSpec tracker on board. Can't beat ole' reliable.

Wow!!!

That's a hell of a bunch of advise. I welcome it all buuuuuuut...I've flown this set up to 25k' and it works like a champ.

Besides, I always fly with a ComSpec tracker on board. Can't beat ole' reliable.

You'rrrrrrrrrrre great! then. Should be a nice ride. Perhaps other readers who are flying a similar system for the first time can take note and
avoid the mistakes I and others have accumulated over time. Kurt

Last edited:

I thought that I was the only one STILL flying 1800's technology! :D (Simple radio signal technology.)
Appreciate the GPS advice too Kurt, some good things noted there! ;) One of these days....

I thought that I was the only one STILL flying 1800's technology! :D (Simple radio signal technology.)
Appreciate the GPS advice too Kurt, some good things noted there! ;) One of these days....

Hey, I gotta tell ya. I haven't had issues but I know folks who fly RDF along with their GPS trackers. I've witnessed where a GPS tracker failed (like flier stuffs an unrestrained Beeline GPS in a bay and the board shears the battery cable under G loads. Wasn't me though.) Fellow got a few positions that gave him a starting point and at least an initial drift direction. His Com-Spec that was along for the ride saved his rocket and hardware. By all means, if one can fit both in there it's nice extra insurance.

Watch everyone else and try not to emulate their mistakes! :rolleyes: You'll be in get shape when you finally take the plunge on whatever system you use.
Kurt

Last edited:
Every flight of mine goes up with a GPS Eggfinder in the nose cone ...
Sitting next to it is a Big Red Bee ham based beacon...
The Eggfinder always works, but after my phone updated the app that I used got very blinky..
That app was a pain to begin with because you had to back out and turn on and off the bluetooth a few times...
The guys that use "Rocket Locator" had no problems...
Whenever I didn't feel like screwing around with my phone I just grabbed my Yagi antenna....
Works every time.......

Teddy

Quick note... I'll be at the LCO table all weekend, and I'm putting together a last-minute kit for flyers who forget stuff back at their camp. Think masking tape, screw driver, etc. Something I can have on hand to help speed things up for forgetful folks, just as a courtesy. Help me think: what might people need at the pads last minute that tends to be forgotten back at the car?

Quick note... I'll be at the LCO table all weekend, and I'm putting together a last-minute kit for flyers who forget stuff back at their camp. Think masking tape, screw driver, etc. Something I can have on hand to help speed things up for forgetful folks, just as a courtesy. Help me think: what might people need at the pads last minute that tends to be forgotten back at the car?

Wow,, that's really nice of you Eric...
Thank you...
Masking tape,, thin long flat blade screwdriver are all that come to mind...

Teddy

Having some extra Estes igniters at the LCO table would be very helpful for the low power pads.

Latest posts

Back