Are There Any Truckers on Here?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow,,
That is some cool artwork...
I like the cat,,, very cool...

Teddy

Our kids High School is the Panthers. If our last one hadn't graduated I might've been asking for one. But as of tomorrow, he's a Bobcat, his sister is a Golden Flash, and his brother is at Parris Island joining an even more elite group.

A short update... something has changed!

I have an interview today with SAIC. They are looking for a CDL Class-A driver to haul munitions for their government customer, MSIC. See listing below. I am not sure if they will hire me, but I would give them my best... and then again, not knowing what they pay, I do not know if I will accept any potential offer. Anyway, I am sitting here with knots in my gut!

https://jobs.saic.com/job/Huntsvill...rtation-and-Logistics-Job-AL-35801/367818800/

A short update... something has changed!

I have an interview today with SAIC. They are looking for a CDL Class-A driver to haul munitions for their government customer, MSIC. See listing below. I am not sure if they will hire me, but I would give them my best... and then again, not knowing what they pay, I do not know if I will accept any potential offer. Anyway, I am sitting here with knots in my gut!

https://jobs.saic.com/job/Huntsvill...rtation-and-Logistics-Job-AL-35801/367818800/

Hope it goes well, SAIC is a top Fed supplier.

Thanks, I feel I gave it my all... yet my eyes snapped open at 4AM this morning when it dawned on me that I never shook hands with three of the four interviewers when all was said and done. <Charlie Brown voice> "I'm Doomed..." </Charlie Brown voice>

We are talking 625HP Tri-axle Kenworth doing heavy haul work... think road train! Driving around Redstone Arsenal and across country.

I should hear one way or the other pretty soon, as they need to fill a seat by mid-November.

We are talking 625HP Tri-axle Kenworth doing heavy haul work... think road train! Driving around Redstone Arsenal and across country.

Good luck Dragon, sounds like a great job...and, im sure pays very well too!
Surprised they request a Bachelors degree? Hmmmm.....

Don't be too surprised if you get the job and, haul some former Soviet armor out west...Just make sure your tarps are tight. ;) Badly kept secret...:no: Shhhhhhhh-

Good luck Dragon, sounds like a great job...and, im sure pays very well too!
Surprised they request a Bachelors degree? Hmmmm.....

Don't be too surprised if you get the job and, haul some former Soviet armor out west...Just make sure your tarps are tight. ;) Badly kept secret...:no: Shhhhhhhh-

The job is quite intimidating, and exciting at the same time... here is a pic of what I can expect to drive should I get the job...

timthumb.php.jpg

During the interview, they passed a similar pic to me for the shock value... I have driven a 10-speed, but never a 625HP 18-speed! What a rush that would be!

The job is quite intimidating, and exciting at the same time... here is a pic of what I can expect to drive should I get the job...

View attachment 303305

During the interview, they passed a similar pic to me for the shock value... I have driven a 10-speed, but never a 625HP 18-speed! What a rush that would be!

Its much easier than you think, the long load is the worst part, really wide turns, I drive a similar truck occasionally at work for loads up to 500k pounds. Odds are the loads themselves will have engineered tie-downs, and probably even an engineer in attendance as you secure the load. Get ready for lots of training thats for sure, Highway Route Control, Load Securements, HazMat specific training (you did say HazMat in an earlier post iirc), Transportation Safety Plans, and a few others, not including all the paperwork you will have to do! :)

View attachment 303305

That's awesome Dragon, yes it will be a little different but, you'll get the hang of it! ;) Gear ratios spaced differently than a common 10 speed so your pulling with the torque band not lugging it obviously...

You don't want too *lug* stuff like that! I still miss pulling a Flatbed (14 years) but, all the oversize loads i pulled were on 48' 10'-2" spread axles.
Have confidence and, look ahead to start braking ALOT earlier than you ever imagined...with time it won't intimidate you so much but, the respect for what your doing/hauling will always have to be there.

Good Luck! :D

That's awesome Dragon, yes it will be a little different but, you'll get the hang of it! ;) Gear ratios spaced differently than a common 10 speed so your pulling with the torque band not lugging it obviously...

You don't want too *lug* stuff like that! I still miss pulling a Flatbed (14 years) but, all the oversize loads i pulled were on 48' 10'-2" spread axles.
Have confidence and, look ahead to start braking ALOT earlier than you ever imagined...with time it won't intimidate you so much but, the respect for what your doing/hauling will always have to be there.

Good Luck! :D

Thank you, I appreciate the positive comments. I am having a similar conversation over on the truckers report, and am getting a sort of negative "Super Trucker's" response from an individual... I hope to hear something this week or next from SAIC, as they are hoping to fill a mission slot by mid November...

Back