The Olympics: The Biggest Corporatist Sports Scam of All

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool Winston. I really was not asking the question to be a wise ass- was sincerely curious.
No problem, I didn't take it as wise ass. Like I said, it's been asked before. Basically, you'll see spikes in my non-rocketry posts here when I'm between projects or not focused on on-line research on various kinds of tech stuff usually unrelated to rocketry. The Internet is by far the greatest library in human history and on it there's so much really cool tech stuff to learn even if I never physically delve into a particular area. Right now, my interests are adrift until I find something to focus on.

Winston, for what it's worth, I sometime log onto 'Wikipediae' and click the 'random' button to see what pops up.. that might help you discover a new interest.. (or a new place to visit, or a new animal or plant, or a new.... :D )

Winston, for what it's worth, I sometime log onto 'Wikipediae' and click the 'random' button to see what pops up.. that might help you discover a new interest.. (or a new place to visit, or a new animal or plant, or a new.... :D )

What I like to do is start at one article and then click on whatever links within that strike my interest. Usually, that means going from one type of aircraft to another of its contemporaries or something like that. But its interesting to see how far afield you can wind up. Like starting with white sharks and ending up reading about space elevators*...

*true story!

I was sitting up with my baby son watching the Olympics thinking this thread was a bunch of hooey.
At 3am, I switched HBO which happened to be playing "Real Sports" with Bryant Gumbel. Totally opened my eyes to the totality of the disgusting underbelly of the Olympics. I mean every aspect except the players themselves. I don't want to believe it, but... Heck, watch the show. The whole thing is so much worse than I thought.
https://www.hbo.com/real-sports-wit...s/july-on-real-sports-with-bryant-gumbel.html

Watching Real Sports w/Bryant Gumbel - "IOC Investigation" right now on HBO....and I won't be looking at he Olympics the same way ever again.
https://www.hbo.com/real-sports-wit...s/july-on-real-sports-with-bryant-gumbel.html

The elitist's of the IOC cared nothing about the oppression and criminal violation of human rights that occurred behind the scenes of Putins administration in the lead up to the Sochi winter games, nor what was going on while China tried to show a perfect picture to the world during the 2008 summer games.
These events and the IOC is unwittingly being used to legitimize corrupt regimes, while hypocritically portraying a sporting event promoting world peace and human dignity.
Worse, the IOC may even be complicit.
Just like 1936 in Berlin, but worse.

And the IOC is getting ready to reward China again with another spectacle...the 2022 winter games.

Some countries like Norway are saying no, the bidding process gives the IOC far too much leverage.
So authoritarian regimes are left with an advantage in the bidding process, as they guarantee to put on the games - even if it tramples on the peoples civil liberties in order to build the facilities in high style.

Just watch, I can see the North Korean games just around the corner.

Last edited:
Back