Finishing question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PiperCPO

Bagpiping B.A.R.
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I need some advice. I recently put the base colors on my Leviathan and shot a few layers of clear to seal it and prep for my Stickershock decals. I had to deal with some orange peel with some 1500 and 2000 grit to get it smooth enough to put the decals down. I plan on sealing the decals with a few coats of clear. I was wondering is it just wasted energy to buff it out now before the decals since I am going to seal them with clear and then sand and buff.Thanks

Yup, it would just be wasted energy. Shoot the clear then sand/polish/buff to your heart's content.

Thanks for the answers! I did'nt think it would matter but my little voice was telling me "verify, verify"! I tend to listen to that small voice has saved my bacon in the past. Appreciate the answers!

Yup, it would just be wasted energy. Shoot the clear then sand/polish/buff to your heart's content.

thats my method,too. if the surface is buffed, then it has to be cleaned of any polishing compound prior to spraying any clea. plus clear likes a sanded surface to bite into. so i just sand to 800,apply vinyl, then a couple coats of clear.

Plus 1 on this answer.... It is the way to go!

3th that! decal, but I would not clear coat, There is not a single clear coat out there that is a decal protectant. ALL Clear coats become brittle very quickly after drying. handling, bumping along in the car, and of coarse Landings will cause clears to crack, chip and eventually flake off taking with it part of the decals.

I now only coat my models with Pledge w/ future, A clear Acrylic coating. It doesn't yellow as most rattle can clear do.
Another "better" protective coating is to simple add two coats of Nu-Finish polymer. It's not a wax at all but a polymer the actually bonds with the underlaying paint. it can be reapplied at anytime if the shine isn't high as you'd like. Nu-Finish is another product that does not yellow over time, nor does it build up over time.
Both Pledge w/ Future and Nu-Finish will never flake off your decals like rattle can clearcoats.

May not be of help on this model but perhap will help in the future:)

Back