The Flying With CA Glues Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks to Ed (CylonRocketeer), I've got two bottles of CA that are supposed to be on their way to me via my mom who is coming to China this week.

He dropped something that has alarmed me though as I think about it. He said that he had a new bottle of CA burst in his checked luggage. The glues, and epoxy are inside plastic bags, so that should help if they burst, but I'm still worried about the bottle failing.

Have any of you flown with NEW bottles of CA in your checked luggage and had a problem? Managed to make it Ok? I'm wondering if I should have my mom just mail it to me, rather than risk damaging the clothes she's bringing for me.

I have traveled by air many, many times with both brand new and used bottles of CA, in checked baggage. Never had a new bottle break or even leak. (Always bring CA on work trips where I am dealing with industrial exhibit models or various sorts of test models.)

A bottle breaking per your story would have to be a vanishingly rare event. My guess is that the bottle had some damage before it was packed. I will say I only travel with the popular hobby grade CA glues: Zap, Carl Goldberg, Bob Smith.

I always put both used and new CA bottles inside a couple of baggies, just in case. If bringing used CA bottles, I snap the cap back on and copiously tape the joint. Once in a while, it still wicks out past the tape a bit due to pressure changes, but never gets outside the baggie.

Last edited:
I have traveled by air many, many times with both brand new and used bottles of CA, in checked baggage. Never had a new bottle break or even leak. (Always bring CA on work trips where I am dealing with industrial exhibit models or various sorts of test models.)

A bottle breaking per your story would have to be a vanishingly rare event. My guess is that the bottle had some damage before it was packed. I will say I only travel with the popular hobby grade CA glues: Zap, Carl Goldberg, Bob Smith.

I always put both used and new CA bottles inside a couple of baggies, just in case. If bringing used CA bottles, I snap the cap back on and copiously tape the joint. Once in a while, it still wicks out past the tape a bit due to pressure changes, but never gets outside the baggie.

Thanks for the quick reply... I should mention it's Bob Smith brand that she's bringing to me.

Back