Rockets at Day Camp.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1974_Trident

Reaction score
My sons go to the local day camp. Last week my six year old's group had a session in "Engineering" in which the kids had to come up with an idea for the rest of the group to learn some principals of any engineering concept. My son's idea of rockets was chosen by the counselors. In addition to my son's growing fleet of Estes kits he has a Mythbusters' Science Kit which he got or Christmas. In the kit is a kit to make a rocket out of a one liter soda bottle some balsa fins. This rocket is powered by baking soda and vinegar. Through collaboration of the camp group the kids and counselors decided to use principals they learned in a session of "Mythbusters" from last summer. Mythbusters is an activity in which the campers do something shown on Mythbusters, you know, the TV show where every episode is prefaced by a warning 'don't try this at home.' After all, this is camp, not home. The rocket that my son's group built was powered by Coca Cola and Mentos. Launch was a success with a flight to about twenty feet.

Today was show and tell day. My son's counselors were quite intrigued by my son's knowledge in and interest for rockets and made a request that he bring in one of his model rockets for show and tell. My six year old son brought in his Big Bertha and My seven year old son (Rocketeer41) brought in his Executioner. They told their groups about their rockets and rockets in general i.e. the fins keep the rocket in stable flight by shifting drag towards the rear of the rocket and providing at least two planes of control surface. The nose cone also keeps the flight stable by shifting the separation point of air rearwards and at the same time reduces drag. My boys explained what the different designations on the rocket engines mean and Rocketeer41 explained to the groups that 4 seconds is not enough delay for an Executioner launched on an E9. He showed them the shredded parachute to make his point.

My sons than answered a few dozen questions like; "Do your rockets go into outer space?", "What happens if your rockets hits my house?", "What's inside the rocket engines?" The counselors were overwhelmed by the groups' and their own interest in rockets.

A request was made to my wife that I assist the counselors with leading the groups through rocket building during arts and crafts in the upcoming weeks because they finally found something much more interesting than plastic bead bracelets and clay sculptures.

Now what do I do?

Fliskits Whatchamacallit and lots of hands on deck would be a good choice for kiddos that young. The fin unit makes fin attachment a cinch and it has a streamer recovery. If you want to eliminate the hobby knife, you can precut the slit for the engine hook and then it's all scissors from there.

https://fliskits.com/products/01prod_fs.htm

McKaila is starting 1st grade soon <snif>. As I understand it, they will be making rockets in 2nd grade. I think it will be hilarious when she says "we should stuff a C motor in it and send it waaaay up there!"

I am actually quite surprized 'our' hobby has lasted as long as it has...

Kinda funny, she knows, if we've had a bad day together, if she asks "Daddy, can we go shoot rockets:)", it will make things all better.

Gets me every time. ;)

I think its great for people to involve their kids in this hobby. With all the cartoons, video games, and other 'brainless' activities, I think rocketry is a great thing. Teaches cause and affect, artistic skills, craftsmanship, and, its FUN.

Now what do I do?

First, I think it is great that your sons have learned so much in such a short amount of time. In addition, for them to be able to repeat in a way that is understandable to other kids is tremendous. I have always heard it said, "If you want to know how much you know about something, try teaching it to someone!"

As far as what to do next, I would check out the Apogee Components website. It not only is packed full of kits, supplies, and cool stuff, but it has an abundance of educational material! It is all there, free for the taking!

Please keep us posted on how this progresses!
Scott

Back