Method for replacing broken fins?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justinwebb

Reaction score
Hello all, newbie to the forum here!
Just found all my old model rockets from when I was a kid and young me wasn't the brightest apparently and put them all in a box that has been moved around several times in my parents basement. Thus as you can imagine there are a few broken fins, what would be the best way to remove the remnants of a bit of fin still glued to the tube? It wasnt a clean break either there is still a bit of fin glued to the tube so I wasnt sure how to scrape or cut it off without damaging the tube.

Last edited:
Not sure what kind of glue you used but the best bet is to sand it smooth,use a block sand method so you get an even surface plus it's just easier to control the areas you want to hit. Either way you look at it your going to have to do at least a little refinishing on the tube. ----H

If you have a Dremel tool, use the drum sander and sand off the excess old fins down to the tube. Then finish it off smoothly with some sand paper or sanding block. Attach the new fins using the double tack method and finish off after the glues has dried with fillets. You'll be good to go.

Back