Flis kits Saturn 1b build thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just saw this thread. Wow. I've had a Semroc 1B sitting in the box for about 3 years, every time I open it up I stare at the parts and put it away again. My hats off to you, this is an absolutely beautiful build, and what you're doing in this tiny scale is just amazing.

thanks Cerving...the Flis Kits 1b is a really cool kit of a really cool looking rocket! currently I am rebuilding a tower side..going to try liquid plastic model cement to see if that does a better job...I hate using it though cause it smells so bad....

Just saw this thread. Wow. I've had a Semroc 1B sitting in the box for about 3 years, every time I open it up I stare at the parts and put it away again. My hats off to you, this is an absolutely beautiful build, and what you're doing in this tiny scale is just amazing.

Hey Owen...how have you been? thank you....I love the Saturn 1b...but honestly, this is nothing compared to some of your plastic model builds I have seen....your armor is unbelievable detailed! someday you should post some pictures in the Watering Hole of your tank builds...they are fantastic! I am sure the modelers here would appreciate them!

Rick, your detail work on these Saturn 1B kits never ceases to amaze me.

OK..I have finally completed the second side of the tower...these are difficult...they size of the cross members is very small and its difficult to apply just enough glue to set these in place vs too much glue. I eventually went to a 5 minute setting CA...its gives you time to move the piece into place....even after that I had to very carefully trim off the glue excess.

there maybe a simpler compromise to build the tower between the paper tower and the 40 piece tower assembly I am trying. I would suggest using the 0.010 rod for the upper cross members and simply cross them as opposed to trying to make the upper section of the tower that angles inward. I will try to assemble a side to show what I mean..this may be an easier way to build the tower. regardless...here are my tower sides....they are not perfect by any means.

IMG_3693.jpg

the next step will be to tape the tower sections on their side to the assembly diagram and then glue the cross members onto this tower section. I want to let these dry thoroughly however. Making progress!

OK....the instructions advise to take one side of the tower and to tape it on its side on the assembly pattern, making sure that the upper cross members are pointing inwards! Its then a process of gluing the cross members into place.

IMG_3695.jpgIMG_3696.JPGIMG_3697.jpg

slow but sure...the tower is taking shape!

the next step is to build up the cross members to your first LES tower side....

IMG_3698.jpg

after this is complete....the other LES side gets glued on making 3 sides completed! This is by far the most difficult part of the build...when I get done with this I am going to make a compromise side that I think will be much easier...

once the third side is glued on its a process of assembling the 9 pieces of rod that compromise a a side...just take your time...the tower is difficult, but it is doable. I recommend a very fine pair of tweezers, time, and lots of patience. My tower is almost complete...one or two more side members to add, and then trim the four corners as per the template. After that, I will paint the tower and then add the escape rocket. The detail for this kit is amazing...it even comes with the small circular disk that is located on the upper section of the LES tower....extras are provided in case you lose one! The picture of this disc on the penny gives you and idea of the size parts we are working with!! Loving this kit!

IMG_3701.JPGIMG_3702.JPGIMG_3705.JPG

OK...made some progress on the 1b this weekend! I actually took a vacation day (at my bosses urging...) on Friday and spent the day happily working away on this awesome kit!

my tower is done...its certainly not the best, but it is an exercise in patience to assemble the tower which stands about 1/2" tall and has 45 parts to it. I then took the LES tower and cut off the base

IMG_3707.jpgIMG_3708.jpg

what I then noticed when I went to attach the LES tower to the tower frame, the width of the frame was too big for the base of the LES tower! :y:

IMG_3711.jpg

so it is time to improvise a bit up here..so I trimmed a small circle out of card stock that should widen the base of the tower enough to mount to the LES tower.

IMG_3712.jpg

I don't think it looks too bad actually....I then took some aluminum paint and painted the tip of the LES tower for the Q-ball.

IMG_3722.jpg

my tower certainly is not the best, but for a first try at it I am pleased with it. Its reasonably straight too! There was some pretty serious grain on my tower and its difficult to sand something about the size of a fat tooth pick...but I did the best I can with her.

I think I am entering the final stretch with this build! The instructions ask to you measure your CG...it should be about 4.875" from the base of the rocket, empty..which is pretty much bang on for mine. The instructions indicate that you are to add the included nose ballast if you intend to use the scale fins for flight. Please note that the nose weight was not added....Flis Kits indicates at the last moment they decided not too add the nose weight...but they do recommend to go with about 19 grams of weight. Since I build lots of 1/72 scale airplane models...lead weight is not an issue up here! So I measured out 19 grams of tiny lead shot and poured them into the base of the CSM/nose cone

IMG_3718.jpgIMG_3721.jpg

later today after this dries I will make the LES rockets and then hopefully attach the tower to the CSM if I can.

Last edited:
The instructions give you the option to add the LES rocket motors. The kit provides a dowel for you to use to make the motors...since I have an abundance of plastic strip and rods and tubes, I found some in a pack that I had for a few years up here and decided to try it.

IMG_3725.JPGIMG_3724.JPG

I wanted to try to hollow out the tube to make it look like a rocket motor..so I dug into my modeling stuff and pulled out some small drill bits I use to open up machine gun barrels

IMG_3726.JPG

I then gently turned the drill bit in the plastic rod to hollow out the tube. I used a micron pen to darken the inside of the tube...I use these pens to highlite the panel lines on some of my models....

IMG_3727.JPGIMG_3728.JPG

the pen makes the nozzle a bit more visible I think...easy to do and doesn't really take much time. I made four nozzles and glued them around the tower in the designated area.

IMG_3732.JPG

My LES tower is on! Its not perfect by any stretch...I admit its a tad off on one side I think but its as straight as I can get it to attach.....and Jim, the guy who made the 1b that is on your artwork on the kit is just an unbelievable builder! And that picture really comes in handy during the build so you can check and see how things are supposed to look. But, here is my humble attempt to make the Flis Kits Saturn 1b Apollo CSM and LES tower. I hope you guys like it.

IMG_3735.JPGIMG_3738.JPGIMG_3739.JPG

I am pretty close to wrapping up this thread I think...all I have to do is hang the chute and put on the launch lug and there really isn't anything to share with that....I just put a coat of Krylon Krystal clear on and that is drying...I will post some more pictures tonight when it dries. Here is what she looked like immediately prior to having the clear coat applied.

IMG_3741.JPGIMG_3745.JPGIMG_3746.JPG

thanks for the kind words Mushtang...I always feel you taught me how to do a build thread! lots of pictures! the fun/challenge with this kit is that its so small...it stands about 9.5" tall completed. The tower is by far the hardest part....just decide to take it a bit at a time and that makes it easier.

Excellent build there Rick!! I'm always super impressed with the details you add to all your rockets! You do great work!

the chute is installed...I have to glue on the launch lug but other than that....this kit is done! This is a really fun build and I think it is an extremely impressive kit. Its well designed and the instructions are spot on. There is no question the tower is difficult...but take your time and you will see that it can be done! I eventually went to a slow drying CA....it gives you time to maneuver the small pieces into place. I was really impressed with the quality of the decals supplied with the kit...they are excellent!

I want to give a big thanks to Saluki who generously provided the wraps for this kit. The wraps are excellent and really help the builder finish the kit and add some great detail to the kit. Thanks Saluki!

And thanks to all that followed the build and shared comments...I hope you like her! I think you will love this kit if you try it!

with that...here are some pictures of my humble attempt to make the Flis Kits Saturn 1b

IMG_3749.jpgIMG_3748.jpgIMG_3747.jpgIMG_3750.jpg

Last edited:
Rick, once again, simply amazing work sir! Your attention to detail is unsurpassed! I wish I had the patience you've definitely shown throughout this build! Very well done

thanks Aerostadt...the kit provides the plastic rods to make the tower...I decided to make my tower out of all 0.020 rods. The kit also provides a dowel to make the LES motors...but I used plastic rods that I had bought previously.

A really good-looking final model. Did the kit come with all those tiny pieces for the escape tower?

thanks Kevin! the kit actually can be built in 3 skill levels...level 3, 4 and 5....many of the details I added are indicated in the instructions..other details such as the PDS red lines on the tanks the BPC and other stuff I added. I like the yellow telemetry antennae ....adds a touch of color to the booster. The kits indicates the size of the radio antennae. The kit provides thrusters that can be made out of built up card stock....I think that is a perfectly good way to add the thrusters if you want them..I used plastic rod etc because I wanted a more 3D look to them. I have already went out and bought 2 more of these kits..lol...I would like to make the Apollo 7 Saturn 1b with the alternating black and white tanks.

Rick, once again, simply amazing work sir! Your attention to detail is unsurpassed! I wish I had the patience you've definitely shown throughout this build! Very well done

Last edited:
I waited until the end of this thread to comment on it.
First, let me say NJRick has done an outstanding build on this kit. This kit well tries your skills and patience.
Second, this kit is so small it well tie your fingers in notes just trying to work with the parts.
Third to put paint on this kit is like trying to paint a flea in rainbow colors. It doesn't take much to screw it up.
I was flatter that NJRick used my wraps and he did an outstanding job with them. They were just a small part of this build.The paint, the extra detail, and way NJrick went about tackling the different build steps was the heart of this build. If anyone is going to build this kit this is the thread you need to read first.
My friend, I SALUTE you. You should be very proud this thread.
Take a rest for a couple days. You deserve it.
You'll be hearing from me in a few days.

thanks Saluki...I appreciate your kind words....Your wraps really help to simplify the build and I highly recommend that anyone who builds this kit consider using them. They fit perfectly....I was going to use black decal sheet for the roll bands...your wraps are far easier and look much cooler! The kit is small...but honestly, I didn't think it was that bad. I love the Saturn 1b so for me making any 1b is a labor of love. The tower is difficult...no question. I went to the 0.020 rod ...its easier to use in my opinion and I don't think it gives up too much in accuracy. With my tower I decided that I would finish it when I was satisfied with it...so in the process I tried some different glues just to see how they work. My lighted magnifying glass and tweezers were a big help with this build. That said, I think the Flis 1b makes a really cool looking model...and I am impressed with it. I was kinda surprised there really aren't many threads on this kit and I think it deserves one.

Back