Flis kits Saturn 1b build thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks Grandcross! Yes..i am insane....there were times during the tower I was looking over my shoulder for men in white lab coats. I am following your awesome build...I wouldn't even know where to start with something like that. I can't wait to see your 1b come to life!!

I thought you were insane before. This proves it! :wink:

Great (awesome, incredible, amazing) build. Now try a big one!

so I find myself looking at this awesome picture of Apollo 7....and I am thinking I need to make another 1b over here...an Apollo 7 1b....send help!

IMG_3764.jpg

thanks for the kind words Jim....its a great kit and a really fun build!!

I have been looking at this little rocket for the past week or so and telling myself I need to build another one....it was that much fun to build. I think I need an Apollo 7 version.... This little kit of yours doesn't get the attention it deserves! There isn't even a spot for it in the Forum Gallery! It makes a fantastic Saturn 1b with detail that rivals much larger kits. I was really impressed with the design work you did with this kit. Just an amazing kit! Hoping that you can get that nose cone back into production! (A Saturn V in this scale would be cool too!!!)

To anyone looking at this and thinking its too small...seriously...its not that bad....just takes a little patience and you will be rewarded with a really cool model of a really cool rocket!!

A very nice build! Can't wait for a flight report :)

OK.....so its roughly the anniversary of the Apollo 7 mission...and I love this little kit...I have decided to make the Apollo 7 Saturn 1b....SA-205...Wally Schirra's 1b. This will be the version with the alternating black and white tanks....call it the classic 1b version!

IMG_3766.jpgIMG_3767.jpg

I'll post pictures as I go along...

Last edited:
the S-IVb stage is mated to the S-1b first stage!

IMG_3775.jpg

thanks again to Saluki and his awesome wraps!! this time we used is SA-205 wrap for the S-IVb interstage as well as his IU and thrust structure. Starting to look like Wally Schirra's launch vehicle!

IMG_3780.jpg

Last edited:
the S-IVb stage ius mated to the S-1b fisrt stage!

View attachment 303750

thanks again to Saluki and his awesome wraps!! this time we used is SA-205 wrap for the S-IVb interstage as well as his IU and thrust structure. Starting to look like Wally Schirra's launch vehicle!

View attachment 303751

You, my friend, make my wraps look good with your building skills on this rocket.
You get better with each one you build. Thanks for trying my wraps.

sorry..progress has been slow...I was away this past weekend...and will be on the road again this weekend leaving Thursday and not returning to Monday...but I was able to put some decals on. The kit provides two United States decals for the first stage booster....one is a standard decal with red lettering and a clear background for the all white tank versions and the other has a white surround for the black tank versions. This makes it much easier to make this version as it it is that much less masking that you have to do. I think the white surround works pretty well in my opinion with very little color bleed through. The decals provided in this kit are excellent.

IMG_3782.jpg

Last edited:
thanks Saluki! Your wraps are awesome! I could build this kit all day long and not get tired of it.

You, my friend, make my wraps look good with your building skills on this rocket.
You get better with each one you build. Thanks for trying my wraps.

made some progress on the Apollo 7 Saturn 1b. I used the kit supplied decals for the first stage fuel tanks (black tank). What the kit does not provide is a white area for the SA-205...I decided to use white decal to make the white outline for the tank ID. This outline is located immediately below the white surround for the United States decal on the black tank. This area could be painted white but the decals do provide an easy way to finish the black tanks.

IMG_3785.jpg

the kit does provide the decal for the first stage tank ID SA-205

IMG_3789.jpgIMG_3790.jpg

this decals are very small...take your time and I use a paint brush to maneuver the decal into place.

I wanted to add the black system tunnel that runs down the left side of the fuel tank (black tank)....I admit...its very difficult to see this tunnel...but I know its there!! I used the same plastic strip as described in post #61 of this thread...Plastruck .020 x .040

IMG_3791.JPG

then I used the red pinstripe tape to make the PDS cable that runs on the tanks

IMG_3796.JPG

I will play with the red tape on the white lox tank in that picture to straighten it out. Starting to take shape here!

Ok....8 fins painted and glued in place...slowly taking shape up here! This really is a neat little kit!

IMG_3806.jpgIMG_3805.jpg

I will put a gloss coat on the fins and then put the fin decals on..I have APU units to make and ullage rockets and then will move on to the spacecraft.

thanks Kevin! I am taking my time with this build....just a busy time of year. Its such a cool rocket kit! It really builds into an accurate Saturn 1b...its 9.5" tall...but its accurate! personally, I love this little scale...its a challenge on some parts but you are rewarded with a really nice rocket when you are done! I can't thank Saluki enough for his wraps...they are awesome!

Wow Rick! That's a real work of art. It really looks very nice!!

OK...my SA-205 Saturn 1b booster is 99% complete..I have to touch up the fins...I am going to move on to the spacecraft and SLA...

IMG_3810.jpgIMG_3811.jpgIMG_3812.jpg

Just came in on this and have enjoyed your enthusiasm tremendously! I like where you have taken this build and can just feel how much pleasure you've gotten out of this model. It looks great especially taking into account that you not only finished one but put a significant dent into a second one! Just WOW! I wish I could finish something here like you have done!! Congrats and nothing but the best when launching these little guys!:wink:

thanks Steven! I appreciate that very much! This little kit is just fun!! I love this kit. Its certainly not perfect...each time I build I see areas where I could have done a better job but I can tell you this...there is a whole lot of fun in that little rocket kit's bag. I would love to see someone with skill sets such as yours take a shot at this little one. (your Mercury Redstone and Saturn V are just awesome, and inspiring!!) Currently I am working on the BPC and I will post pictures as I go.

Just came in on this and have enjoyed your enthusiasm tremendously! I like where you have taken this build and can just feel how much pleasure you've gotten out of this model. It looks great especially taking into account that you not only finished one but put a significant dent into a second one! Just WOW! I wish I could finish something here like you have done!! Congrats and nothing but the best when launching these little guys!:wink:

BPC on....I threw the picture in with the penny for scale...she is small....look at the entire SLA and CSM next to that penny...small but such a neat kit!! still think its worth the effort! Moving on to the SM next!

IMG_3818.jpgIMG_3817.jpgIMG_3819.jpg

couple of pictures of Apollo 7's SM....7 seems to have its own unique SM....that is a beautiful machine sitting on Pad 34....

AS7-0225C-68HC-712.jpgAS7-0228A.jpgAS7-0227-68C-6111.jpgAS7-0224B-68HC-554.jpg

making progress up here....I trimmed Saluki's awesome wraps for the Apollo 7 SM....7 had its own distinctive radiator panels...I used some tape to try to duplicate the radiator panels, SM panels and SLA panels...time to make some SM thrusters!

IMG_3830.jpgIMG_3829.jpg

Back