Another Saturn IB

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOW sounds AWESOME and like a lot of work..

Im up for the simple details too. im sure we can work those up..

SOmeone has contacted me about the artwork so for right now I wont be doing any full wraps.. but I am sure we can work something up..

Well, I seem to have entered a slow and tedious portion of the build. Combine this with a cold, bad weather limiting my sanding, and general laziness I've been lacking in updates. So, here is where I am now.

I have all of my fins sanded with the correct root to tip bevel. My sanding guide for the trailing edge to leading edge needed a minor redesign. My dimensions are exactly right, but that was intolerant of pieces even slightly off of spec. So I redesigned that to make it a little more tolerant. Of course, the weather for outdoor sanding has also been limiting. Not that this will stop me though! Stay tuned.

In the meantime, I've been doing the 3D design for a lot of the external features such as ullage rockets, antennae, etc. It's going to take some time to complete all of that.

So I started marking the stringers on the S-IVB stage and interstage. These will be 0.06" styrene. Each will have to be individually cut and glued, so this is a good background task while watching tv. This is going to take some time. 112 stringers in 3 groups (not counting the unusual parts around the features) means a lot of time. Each stringer is placed 8.5 mm apart. I started by creating a ruler to mark the stringer locations and connected the dots. Just doing this took about 3 hours!

Next I need to mark the feature locations, and then I can start with some stringers.

IMG_1736.jpgIMG_1737.jpgIMG_1738.jpg

Well, I seem to have entered a slow and tedious portion of the build. Combine this with a cold, bad weather limiting my sanding, and general laziness I've been lacking in updates. So, here is where I am now.

I have all of my fins sanded with the correct root to tip bevel. My sanding guide for the trailing edge to leading edge needed a minor redesign. My dimensions are exactly right, but that was intolerant of pieces even slightly off of spec. So I redesigned that to make it a little more tolerant. Of course, the weather for outdoor sanding has also been limiting. Not that this will stop me though! Stay tuned.

In the meantime, I've been doing the 3D design for a lot of the external features such as ullage rockets, antennae, etc. It's going to take some time to complete all of that.

So I started marking the stringers on the S-IVB stage and interstage. These will be 0.06" styrene. Each will have to be individually cut and glued, so this is a good background task while watching tv. This is going to take some time. 112 stringers in 3 groups (not counting the unusual parts around the features) means a lot of time. Each stringer is placed 8.5 mm apart. I started by creating a ruler to mark the stringer locations and connected the dots. Just doing this took about 3 hours!

Next I need to mark the feature locations, and then I can start with some stringers.

View attachment 310563View attachment 310564View attachment 310565

Yep...that is the indeed the tedious part...which I've been avoiding - but it makes for the "look".
I mean...look how much better it looks with just the lines, and you haven't put one strip on. :)

Yep...that is the indeed the tedious part...which I've been avoiding - but it makes for the "look".
I mean...look how much better it looks with just the lines, and you haven't put one strip on. :)

You have no idea how tempting it is to leave it like that! :D

You'd be surprised how some fine line marker panel lines and details will really pop and look like details without actually doing built up bits and pieces...of course I'm lazy and so maybe my eyesight isn't as good when I don't want it to be:)

Frank

the good thing about having a Saturn 1b that stands only 9.5" tall is that you can use a wrap for the interstage and IU.....having to put individual stringers in place will look awesome when done...but tedious may not be the word..torture might be more appropriate. Masking and painting that will not be easy either...She is looking awesome so far!

I mean it is a hobby and supposed to be fun, depends on what you enjoy. When the rocket is on the pad no-one will see any stringers, only you will know. I used to do a lot of very fine detail and then would fret every time I launched, and would do touch ups each time, then relized that wasn't what I enjoyed doing and went with a more relaxed approach to my modeling, and learned/developed short cuts to give the right look without all the work and that's a tradeoff I'm happy with. I'm reminded of James Duffy's posting about his excellent little joe that he says he spend 11 months, 30 hours a week and tens of thousands of rivets, and even with that, he didn't place in the top three in the internats, that would have broken me.....but obviously that's what it takes and he must enjoy it.

I mean it is a hobby and supposed to be fun, depends on what you enjoy. When the rocket is on the pad no-one will see any stringers, only you will know. I used to do a lot of very fine detail and then would fret every time I launched, and would do touch ups each time, then relized that wasn't what I enjoyed doing and went with a more relaxed approach to my modeling, and learned/developed short cuts to give the right look without all the work and that's a tradeoff I'm happy with. I'm reminded of James Duffy's posting about his excellent little joe that he says he spend 11 months, 30 hours a week and tens of thousands of rivets, and even with that, he didn't place in the top three in the internats, that would have broken me.....but obviously that's what it takes and he must enjoy it.

I guess you're right on point here. While I do enjoy the flying, if that's all I wanted I'd just build a simple 4FNC and be done with it. For me the flying is as much as anything the validation of the build. Also factor in there that my work travel schedule makes attending launches a little irregular. Last year I only made it to one.

Each build I've done as a BAR has introduced new challenges. My Levels 1, 2, and 3 each had unique challenges of their own. This build certainly has no shortage of them, and I'm learning a lot every step of the way. While I don't expect every build to be detailed, I feel I'd be cheating myself if I didn't do it for this one.

Weekend update:

Stringers are progressing nicely. Now all I need is some of the detail pieces so I can place them around the details.

IMG_1744.jpg

So I finally tackled my 3D printer. After a lot of frustration (and some very colorful language) I finally got things dialed in. Behold one of my "tiny" details, the 7" long retrorockets for the S-IVB interstage. At an hour each, and with a lot more details to print, I'll be running the printer continuously for the next few days.

IMG_1743.jpg

Now if you'll excuse me, I hear there's some kind of game on today...

Weekend update:

Stringers are progressing nicely. Now all I need is some of the detail pieces so I can place them around the details.

View attachment 311098

So I finally tackled my 3D printer. After a lot of frustration (and some very colorful language) I finally got things dialed in. Behold one of my "tiny" details, the 7" long retrorockets for the S-IVB interstage. At an hour each, and with a lot more details to print, I'll be running the printer continuously for the next few days.
View attachment 311099

The details really make it sing.

that is looking awesome!! I kinda think masking and painting over those stringers is going to be a bear...

Weekend update:

View attachment 311098

View attachment 311099

A last update before another extended work trip...

I had a lot of "fun" with my 3D printer. Turns out my bed heater is defective so I've ordered replacement parts. That will get fixed when I get back. I was able to get some work done though.

The larger parts I've made with holes that I can fit posts into.

IMG_1758.jpgIMG_1759.jpg

Next I drill some holes in my body tube and glue. The posts will have to be sanded or filed flush on the inside, but I haven't done that yet.

IMG_1760.jpg

Here's the current view. It shows the retro rockets, the photo targets, and the access panel. I still have some stringer work to do. The access panel will screw into place. I have a backing that will attach to the inside of the body tube that has a brass insert that the screw will fit into. This access panel will have the switches for the flight electronics in behind them. More on that in a much later post.

IMG_1761.jpg

I still have a lot of details to print and attach. This road trip will give me plenty of time in a hotel room to do the 3D modeling so I can run my printer full tilt when I return.

Happy flying folks!

As you may have noticed, a lot of my parts are going to be created using a 3D printer. I've created a source code repository for this information, as well as some of the reference material and photographs I've managed to collect. It won't all be in there - for example David Week's amazing drawings are copyright and for sale, but the stuff you can find via a web search is in there. The repository uses Subversion. A good windows tool for accessing Subversion repositories is Tortoise SVN

The models are created using FreeCAD. For some I've used the current production version (0.16), but for many I'm working with a pre-release version (0.17) because of it's improved workflow. It's not well documented at this point so I apologize for that. I'm creating the .STL files as I go, and you can use these for printing, but they may not be the final versions. I won't be posting here as I update so you'll have to be proactive. In particular, I may need to make changes after I print and see how it all fits together, and some models will require repair due to the STL generation process used by FreeCAD. The .STL files can be printed using any print service provider (I've used 3DHubs with success in the past), and you should be able to scale to match your required size.

Let me know if you use these and find any issues.

Example of the Q ball on the LES tower:
QBall.PNG

As you may have noticed, a lot of my parts are going to be created using a 3D printer. I've created a source code repository for this information, as well as some of the reference material and photographs I've managed to collect. It won't all be in there - for example David Week's amazing drawings are copyright and for sale, but the stuff you can find via a web search is in there. The repository uses Subversion. A good windows tool for accessing Subversion repositories is Tortoise SVN

The models are created using FreeCAD. For some I've used the current production version (0.16), but for many I'm working with a pre-release version (0.17) because of it's improved workflow. It's not well documented at this point so I apologize for that. I'm creating the .STL files as I go, and you can use these for printing, but they may not be the final versions. I won't be posting here as I update so you'll have to be proactive. In particular, I may need to make changes after I print and see how it all fits together, and some models will require repair due to the STL generation process used by FreeCAD. The .STL files can be printed using any print service provider (I've used 3DHubs with success in the past), and you should be able to scale to match your required size.

Let me know if you use these and find any issues.

Example of the Q ball on the LES tower:
View attachment 312699

Pretty darn cool...!

I'm nowhere near complete my 3D modeling, but I have made a lot of progress. Lots of details to add to each of the pieces, but the development version of FreeCAD lets me assemble them to see how they fit. I found and corrected some issues, but what I have right now is too cool not to share!

First fitting.PNG

Modeling the tower was tricky. Adding details to the boost protective cover will also be a challenge. It's a lot easier to add details to a flat surface than a curved one!

wow that looks extremely cool!!

I'm nowhere near complete my 3D modeling, but I have made a lot of progress. Lots of details to add to each of the pieces, but the development version of FreeCAD lets me assemble them to see how they fit. I found and corrected some issues, but what I have right now is too cool not to share!

ATTACH=CONFIG]313318[/ATTACH]

Modeling the tower was tricky. Adding details to the boost protective cover will also be a challenge. It's a lot easier to add details to a flat surface than a curved one!

Hello all!

It's been way too long...

Just before I left for my Asian excursion, I blew the heater on my 3D printer's heated bed. So much of the last week has been working on that. I tried reusing the old glass bed with the new heater, but that didn't work because of the residue from the old heater's glue. So the glass was replaced as well.

IMG_1928.jpgIMG_1929.jpg

So after way too much time in calibration, I printed some pieces:

IMG_1936.jpgIMG_1931.jpg

The first is the Q Ball from the top of the LES. I need to make some minor adjustments and reprint. The second is the LES tower. I haven't removed all the support material yet.

Then I blew a fuse on the printer. The updated heater draws more power, so this isn't really a surprise. The problem is it's an odd size fuse that I haven't been able to locate locally. Amazon will have one to me late Monday. Which gives me just 2 days before my next work trip.

The real problem is that I noticed a problem with one of the dimensions on my sanding template for my fins. It needs to be redrawn and reprinted, but I'm on hold. I'd hoped to have the fin can finished before I leave, but that just ain't happening. Which puts flying this at URRF in June in jeopardy given my travel schedule. I haven't given up yet, but that's a lot to do in 4 weeks of time at home.

While the CM and LES are dependent on the printer, the rest is just details. I can fly without looking pretty. It's just that damned fin can. Life keeps conspiring to keep me from working on it. Le sigh.

Hello all!

It's been way too long...

Just before I left for my Asian excursion, I blew the heater on my 3D printer's heated bed. So much of the last week has been working on that. I tried reusing the old glass bed with the new heater, but that didn't work because of the residue from the old heater's glue. So the glass was replaced as well.

View attachment 318802View attachment 318801

So after way too much time in calibration, I printed some pieces:

View attachment 318799View attachment 318800

The first is the Q Ball from the top of the LES. I need to make some minor adjustments and reprint. The second is the LES tower. I haven't removed all the support material yet.

Then I blew a fuse on the printer. The updated heater draws more power, so this isn't really a surprise. The problem is it's an odd size fuse that I haven't been able to locate locally. Amazon will have one to me late Monday. Which gives me just 2 days before my next work trip.

The real problem is that I noticed a problem with one of the dimensions on my sanding template for my fins. It needs to be redrawn and reprinted, but I'm on hold. I'd hoped to have the fin can finished before I leave, but that just ain't happening. Which puts flying this at URRF in June in jeopardy given my travel schedule. I haven't given up yet, but that's a lot to do in 4 weeks of time at home.

While the CM and LES are dependent on the printer, the rest is just details. I can fly without looking pretty. It's just that damned fin can. Life keeps conspiring to keep me from working on it. Le sigh.

Well, S**t happens as they say.
I like the 3D printing approach you are doing for the details on the front end.

My advice....don't let a launch date drive your project.

Take your time ...do it right.
You won't regret it.

I've been taking a break on mine.
It sucked up a lot of time off of other projects I wanted to finish for LDRS 36.

I have some parts on order for the motor tubes before I pick up work on it again.
In the meantime, I'll be rethinking a few things and doing two or three other builds for the fall.

I did an inventory of parts and components I've had laying around for years, one side project will enable more practice doing CF layup (before I dive into that dreaded Saturn 1B fin can) - the other a test bed for cluster/airstart/staging flight tests.

My advice....don't let a launch date drive your project.

Take your time ...do it right.
You won't regret it.

Good advice, and I agree. This isn't a case of go fever as much as it is frustration that I'm still not where I expected to be in February. Due to my heavy work travel schedule, I have very limited time to work on this, so wasting time on my printer is quite annoying. Especially being held up by a 9 cent fuse. Le sigh.

On a positive note, finally some progress. I got my shipment of fuses (100 should last a long while!), printed my template, and got all 12 fins sanded to shape. That really went faster than I expected.

IMG_1937.jpg

Overall, I'm pleased with the results. I didn't get the nice square on the back, but that doesn't really surprise me. It would have rounded somewhat when I add the CF anyways. I think I'd need to do a built up fin to get it perfect. Next time :)

So tomorrow, I start wrapping the fins in CF. I won't have time to attach them before I leave, but at least I'll be able to tackle that as soon as I return.

In the mean time, I'm printing parts...

Well, I decided there just wasn't enough time to do the CF wraps. I risked having to leave with them half done. But they'll be ready to start the moment I return.

Instead, I concentrated on some of the printed parts, including some prints using ABS instead of PLA. ABS is notorious for being tricky to print, but it's desireable for me from a heat resistance, paintability, and glueability point of view. I expected there to be some tolerance errors, and parts that are just slightly off in dimension, so I printed some test pieces, adjusted as required and printed again. With a few frustrations thrown in for good measure... The results look good!

IMG_1940.jpg

Now I need to copy the adjustments to the full size pieces, finish detailing, and print. These pieces are heavy, but I'm still going to have to add nose weight so it's all good.

Things are so much easier when you're using your tools instead of fixing them :)

Well, I decided there just wasn't enough time to do the CF wraps. I risked having to leave with them half done. But they'll be ready to start the moment I return.

Instead, I concentrated on some of the printed parts, including some prints using ABS instead of PLA. ABS is notorious for being tricky to print, but it's desireable for me from a heat resistance, paintability, and glueability point of view. I expected there to be some tolerance errors, and parts that are just slightly off in dimension, so I printed some test pieces, adjusted as required and printed again. With a few frustrations thrown in for good measure... The results look good!

View attachment 319192

Now I need to copy the adjustments to the full size pieces, finish detailing, and print. These pieces are heavy, but I'm still going to have to add nose weight so it's all good.
Things are so much easier when you're using your tools instead of fixing them :)

Dave - YOU are Hi - Tech!

Just because I'm away from home doesn't mean I stop working. Adding details to the command module has taken many, many hours (and uncovered a few bugs in the development version of FreeCAD!), but I'm liking the results. I'll still have to adjust the base size a little before the final print, but here it is:

CM1.PNGCM2.PNG

Back